Another uninformed ebay seller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

You can thank ebay's newest "improvement" for the rise in this kind of stupidity (1st 100 auctions free to list)

I did email the seller with constructive comments. No reply as of yet. I usually get nothing or some smart cracker who goes off and informs me how wrong I am. Either way, it's worth it.

Response today!

"I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS. HOWEVER, I GOT THE VALUE OF THIS CARD ON E-BAYS "WHATS IT WORTH" HOSTED BY terapeak e-bays researcher. YOU MAY CHECK IT OUT YOURSELF BY GOING TO SELLIN AND LOOKING FOR A BOX WITH THE HEADING "WHATS IT WORTH?" I'VE BEEN CALLED EVERY NAME UNDER THE SUN FOR THIS LISTING AND ITS VALUE. THOSE WHO DISPUTE THE VALUE OF THIS CARD AND THE OTHERS I HAVE LISTED NEED TO DIRECT THEIR DEROGATORY REMARKS TO E-BAY."

If that is true, Ebay's "what's it worth" is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. I've never heard of it. Anyone else?

By the way, just to be clear, so I don't make myself out to be a jerk. My remarks were constructive, not derogatory. I can imagine what kinds of responses the seller may have received though. People have pretty big stones when they are hiding behind a computer as an anonymous user ID.

Response today!

"I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS. HOWEVER, I GOT THE VALUE OF THIS CARD ON E-BAYS "WHATS IT WORTH" HOSTED BY terapeak e-bays researcher. YOU MAY CHECK IT OUT YOURSELF BY GOING TO SELLIN AND LOOKING FOR A BOX WITH THE HEADING "WHATS IT WORTH?" I'VE BEEN CALLED EVERY NAME UNDER THE SUN FOR THIS LISTING AND ITS VALUE. THOSE WHO DISPUTE THE VALUE OF THIS CARD AND THE OTHERS I HAVE LISTED NEED TO DIRECT THEIR DEROGATORY REMARKS TO E-BAY."

If that is true, Ebay's "what's it worth" is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. I've never heard of it. Anyone else?

By the way, just to be clear, so I don't make myself out to be a jerk. My remarks were constructive, not derogatory. I can imagine what kinds of responses the seller may have received though. People have pretty big stones when they are hiding behind a computer as an anonymous user ID.

Wow, he actually took it quite well. I (kind of, just a little bit) feel bad for the guy because it does not really seem like he knows much about cards. He (possibly) innocently put up these auctions and then is just getting reamed by everyone because he based his listing on some terrible guide. I always think these persons know a lot more than they let on, but I'm not really sure in this case. At the very least, it's entertained me over the last 24 hours, so I thank you for that, mrmopar.

But isn't that a VINTAGE Nolan Ryan from the 90s!

Don't mess with the guy - he has perfect feedback!

I like the 1987 Wayne Tolleson for BIN $39.00 - at least he's offering free shipping.

Last edited:
He does have perfect feedback, and he sold a raw 1984 Topps Mattingly for $10! The PSA 9's get less than that. So he may be onto something. We'll all be kicking ourselves when he sells that Ryan for $550!

As for ebay's what it's worth section, I've never heard of that crazy one with incorrect prices, but... they do have an incredibly accurate resource to find out what something is worth, it's called "completed listings." I'm sure we've all heard of that one. This seller really should have checked THAT out before listing these cards!

I had never heard of the "What's It Worth", so I just checked it out. If you type in 1991 Pacific Nolan Ryan it says that in the past 3 weeks, 36 listings have sold with a price range from $.01 - $750 with an average price of $23.34. If you do a complete listing search for the same words "1991 Pacific Nolan Ryan" you find that with the exception of a complete set ($24.99), an autographed version ($8.02) and a Silver Prism parallel ($10.55), the handful of cards that sold were all below $3. I know the complete listings are only for the past 2 weeks, not the 3 that What's It Worth uses, but where in the heck is terapeak coming up with the info it's using? True, the seller should do more research before spending the money to list so many worthless cards, but eBay and terapeak should be more responsible.

I did the same search. It gives you false readings by including "similar" sales, basically if those word combos show up elsewhere, it's calculated!

I tried Strasberg and the range went up to $16K, so it registered all recently sold items. That may be fine for something more specific, but for baseball cards the variation possibilities are too great.

The best way to check similar ebay sales is to just do a manual search of completed items and read what they were, to weed out the false examples.