Any 49ers fans or David Akers fans have any interest in this autographed ticket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tglg

MVP
5.00 star(s)
20 minutes away from Busch Stadium, home of the St
Our family went to this game back in 2012, and we have all 4 tickets signed by David Akers, who had a great game. He scored a total of 16 points, as he threw for a touchdown, 2 field goals, and 4 extra points. The 49ers won 34-27 and it was their 13th victory of the season, as they finished 13-3. We don't need all 4 tickets signed by Akers, so if someone out there would like to add this to their collection, let me know. Let's see what kind of trade we can work out. Thanks, Tony.

VshjqUY.jpg

Here is a link to a SF news site that has an article about it and some video - https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/49ers-Sleeper-trick-play-works-to-perfection-2436091.php

ST. LOUIS --

The name of the play is "Sleeper," and it's safe to say it caught the Rams napping Sunday.

Late in the third quarter of the 49ers' 34-27 win over St. Louis, placekicker David Akers lined up for a 32-yard field goal that never materialized. Instead, Akers took a direct snap from Brian Jennings and tossed a 14-yard touchdown pass near the left sideline to wide receiver Michael Crabtree to give San Francisco a 27-10 lead.

Were the Rams fooled? The closest defender to Crabtree was somewhere near Kansas City.

"I looked over and Crab was wide open, and I was like, 'Oh, my,' " Akers said. "When I threw it, I thought I underthrew him. But he just kind of ran a little slant in there and made it look real smooth for me."

Said Crabtree: "I told him, 'Just throw the ball and I got you.' That's what he did."

After a third-down incompletion prior to the fake field goal, Akers trotted onto the field, but Crabtree never left. He lingered near the left sideline, unnoticed by the Rams.

The play was another inspired move by special-teams coach Brad Seely, who called a similar fake field goal when he was with the Patriots in a 40-22 win at St. Louis on Nov. 7, 2004. In that game, New England's Adam Vinatieri threw a 4-yard touchdown to Troy Brown.

On Sunday, Akers had to throw a slightly longer pass. And the 13-year veteran with one previous career pass attempt - an 11-yard completion in 2006 - had a few pre-snap butterflies.

"When Brad called it, I was like, 'Oh, man, I haven't thrown since pregame,' " Akers said.

Akers' pass may not have been perfect, but his career passing stats - 2-of-2 for 25 yards and a touchdown - translate to a 158.3 passer rating. As quarterback Alex Smith knows, that's impossible to top.

"A perfect QB rating," Smith said when asked to grade Akers' form. "That's tough to criticize."

PjFoy8T.jpg
San Francisco 49ers place kicker David Akers celebrates after throwing a touchdown pass to Michael Crabtree on a fake field goal attempt during the third quarter of an NFL football game against the St. Louis Rams Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Seth Perlman)

CrrZqYG.jpg
ST. LOUIS, MO - JANUARY 1: Michael Crabtree #15 of the San Francisco 49ers scorers a touchdown on a fake field goal attempt against St. Louis Rams at the Edward Jones Dome on January 1, 2012 in St. Louis, Missouri. The 49ers beat the Rams 34-27. (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)

LjDUNFQ.jpg
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree jogs into the end zone for a touchdown after catching a pass from 49ers kicker David Akers on a fake field goal attempt during the third quarter of an NFL football game against the St. Louis Rams Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/L.G. Patterson)

Last edited: