Any info on this Ripken card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timfsu2k

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Thought this was a cool card, but can't find any info on it. Maybe a Ripken collector can help me out. What set is it from? I couldn't find anything that matches up on Beckett.com.

Ripken

Here's the entry from the 2003 Standard Catalog:

"1998 Pacific Home Run History Bonus Cards

Though they are not identified as such, this pair of Crown-style die-cut cards were bonus inserts in the Home Run History boxed set. Fronts have gold-foil highlights iwth the pivotal number in blue-sky tones. Backs have portrait photos and a few words about the remarkable record."

The set was only comprised of that Ripken card and a McGwire card. The 2003 edition, lists them at $2 each.

don't feel bad tim....i've seen plenty knowledgeable collectors confused by this card over the years (i only wish i could find the replies i'd posted for other that included tons of details)

taking for granted you have access to the beckett opg (once there you easily can navigate around if you need more info) :

ripken card info

Last edited:
It's weird that Beckett calls it "Home Run History" when it has nothing to do with HRs.

that is based upon the two bonus cards being considered part of a "set"....guess they only had the desire to create one name when there is actually a mcgwire honoring his home run exploits and a ripken honoring his streak....for the record , while beckett calls then bonus card 1 and 2 , each is actually numbered card 1...

I found this. It looks like Pacific only put 1 out, not 1 for every one of his games.

Thanks for the link, the $3 BIN sure is better than the $19.99 price in my link!

Here's the entry from the 2003 Standard Catalog:

"1998 Pacific Home Run History Bonus Cards

Though they are not identified as such, this pair of Crown-style die-cut cards were bonus inserts in the Home Run History boxed set. Fronts have gold-foil highlights iwth the pivotal number in blue-sky tones. Backs have portrait photos and a few words about the remarkable record."

The set was only comprised of that Ripken card and a McGwire card. The 2003 edition, lists them at $2 each.

Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to have to finally pick up one of those Standards. They seem very useful for oddball stuff.

don't feel bad tim....i've seen plenty knowledgeable collectors confused by this card over the years (i only wish i could find the replies i'd posted for other that included tons of details)

taking for granted you have access to the beckett opg (once there you easily can navigate around if you need more info) :

ripken card info

Thank you for the information. That is very confusing all around. Who would have thought they would insert a Ripken streak card into a HR Heroes set??

Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to have to finally pick up one of those Standards. They seem very useful for oddball stuff.

For anything 2002 and older, I'd definitely recommend getting the 2003 edition. After that, they started clearing out a lot of the oddball sets to make room for the enormous amount of product being issued after that.