Anybody notice how much 2010 Topps Series I boxes are going for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indigo27

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Blowout, DACW, and Charm City are all selling hobby boxes for $90+ and jumbo boxes are all $130-ish. What the heck is going on?

That's what happens when Topps is the only officially licensed Baseball product. I think you are going to see this happen with all Baseball releases.

I have slowed down on what I am buying...this will only slow me down more.
It will go just like the gas prices. If it get to high no one will buy or they will buy a lot less.

The only sets I collect are Topps..This could be a problem. Of course, for those willing to wait a couple years, pricing for the hobby boxes usually drops down to the $30 range.

I think its more a matter of supply and demand, as opposed to Topps being the sole provider of licensed cards. As Myerburg said, people are after the chase cards, including the million card giveaway. Same thing happened with the 08 UD Baseball Heroes boxes. Once the supply started drying up, the prices rose. There must be someone out there willing to pay this much for 2010 Topps Series 1 or they wouldn't have raised the prices.

I like all the posts after mine, they all make sense. But I guess we will see when Series II comes out. This time though, the million card inserts are going up for sale!!!

There are good deals for sure. I bought a hobby box for $50, I think. I'm just surprised to see a current year's box going for almost $100.

MLB gave collectors the shaft when they only authorized Topp.
With no competition, prices are bound to go up. Basic Econimics 101.

Rich

Prices are going to be up, and going to stay up from my understanding. From a local who went to Vegas a few weeks ago for a convention, Topps, Panini, and several companies are going to cut Atlanta and a bunch of the distributors out of the loop. Boxes will only be sold brick and morter stores. They want to eliminate the internet aspect of the market. They feel those are the one's selling boxes at $5 over cost, thus pushing the market down and making it hard for actual shops.

And, production is going to be cut, from my understanding. Production will be based on what is ordered. From what I heard, Topps is saying order what you are going to want initially, as that is what they will produce. Stores won't be able to get restocks from companies like Blowout, Atlanta, Southern Hobby and such, as they will be limited product or won't get product at all. Sorta like doing the HTA thing, and much like it was back in the late 80s - no storefront, no direct sales of product. They want no internet wharehouses, no weekend warriors at shows, and such.

If a store does shows or internet, that is one thing. But as far as the internet, I had heard one thing was boxes will actually have some sort of tracking code on or in the box, so if they check, they can see who is dumping on the net. They want to keep the value of the boxes high, so their product isn't seen as hot today, dumped tomorrow for the next product due in.

Just what I have heard.

On the business end, supply and demand rules,and the hobby is based on that.I wasn't happy with the 2010 Topps,I found it boring.
I have come to one conclusion though,the days of walking into a card shop and dropping down that 10 spot and grabbing a few packs from separate boxes have gone away.I will miss that.
On the plus side I would hope that the older series from the 90's will become move valuable.Maybe collectors will fall back and focus on their older sets.
I really can't guess what will happened next,but the dust hasn't settled yet.I just hope Topps doesn't think they are the Federal Reserve,..

Last edited:
I heard the same thing mentioned last year, and while summer release prices seemed a little higher than the previous year, everything else going into the fall and now this year were at normal levels. That is, until recently, apparently! Still, everything else I bought last year (Goodwin, Ticket to Stardom, 206) and this year (Heritage, Topps) was initially anyway at normal prices.

I bought my 2010 Topps S1 hobby box as a pre-sell at $50 or so, which is the same as I've paid the last few years. What's different is that prices are shooting up a month or so after the initial release.

Prices are going to be up, and going to stay up from my understanding. From a local who went to Vegas a few weeks ago for a convention, Topps, Panini, and several companies are going to cut Atlanta and a bunch of the distributors out of the loop. Boxes will only be sold brick and morter stores. They want to eliminate the internet aspect of the market. They feel those are the one's selling boxes at $5 over cost, thus pushing the market down and making it hard for actual shops.

And, production is going to be cut, from my understanding. Production will be based on what is ordered. From what I heard, Topps is saying order what you are going to want initially, as that is what they will produce. Stores won't be able to get restocks from companies like Blowout, Atlanta, Southern Hobby and such, as they will be limited product or won't get product at all. Sorta like doing the HTA thing, and much like it was back in the late 80s - no storefront, no direct sales of product. They want no internet wharehouses, no weekend warriors at shows, and such.

If a store does shows or internet, that is one thing. But as far as the internet, I had heard one thing was boxes will actually have some sort of tracking code on or in the box, so if they check, they can see who is dumping on the net. They want to keep the value of the boxes high, so their product isn't seen as hot today, dumped tomorrow for the next product due in.

Just what I have heard.