Are hobby boxes getting better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panzram

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Thinking about getting one as opposed to retail. Any suggestions? I want the most hits for a decent price.

If you're gonna buy a box, go for hobby. Insert ratios are always better. As for what product you pick... it really depends upon what you collect.

I really enjoyed my case break of the Topps T206.

I think you are going to find that a majority of people will tell you to go for the 2008 UD Heroes Hobby boxes. At a little more than $50 per, you get at least 3 hits. Every box that gets posted under the box breaks seems to yield an Auto/Patch #'d to 25 or less. Those aren't guaranteed, but the stuff is just loaded.

Tim

I think you are going to find that a majority of people will tell you to go for the 2008 UD Heroes Hobby boxes. At a little more than $50 per, you get at least 3 hits. Every box that gets posted under the box breaks seems to yield an Auto/Patch #'d to 25 or less. Those aren't guaranteed, but the stuff is just loaded.

Tim

Plus a ton of #ed cards too!

I find collation in general as well as insert ratios are much better in hobby than retail. And of course, there's always the AUs and GUs.

Hobby boxes are much better than retail. I would strongly recommend getting 2008 Baseball heroes from blowout cards. The set is nice and loaded with good players past & present, 3 memorabilia, 1 auto per box, nice parallels in each pack, lotsa good case hits like patches.

Last edited:
I liked 09 Topps Finest!! I pulled 3 autos in 1 box, 1 rookie redemption, and a bunch of #'d refractors and 2 autos and 1 redemption and 1 printing plate plus refractors in another box! I was very happy with what I got. Plus the set is only 150 cards and 2 boxes I got about 75% or so! Plus a few RC in each!

Good Luck
Christopher

What are you looking for? 'the most hits for a decent price' tells us nothing. What are you considering 'hits'? Any gu/auto, low #'ed parallel, HOF/future HOF auto, ANY insert? and decent price, is that $50 or $500? 2004 Elite extra edition has about 3 autos/box, the hot boxes have an auto per pack if you get lucky, Topps All Time Fan Favorites had 2 autos a box if I remember right, some years also had a GU, Sweet Spot is decent. Heck, I pulled 3 autos out of 2002 Topps Heritage before I pulled my first Chrome card that had 1:29 odds. Your best bang for the buck is still going to be buying singles. $50-100 spent on a set you probably won't want to complete and 2GU and an auto that MIGHT be decent, but will more likely be a felix Hernandez jersey, Richie Sexson auto and Curtis Granderson bat.

My recommendation:
2008 Donruss Threads Baseball
It is about $50 and you get about 4 hits (Usually 5 or 6) and its prospects and HOF. I was even lucky enough to pull a Joe Jackson Dual Bat expected to sell $200-$300. One of very few products with Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe. Also tons of prospects and attractive set design

I'm thinking about ordering 2 more boxes of 08 UD Heroes when i get some extra $$$....the first two were a lot of fun, hits were not "outstanding", but for $50 a box it was fun...the Donruss threads is fun as well...i like the cards in there and i think i got 4 autos and 2 gu's out of my box....also got a low # Hank Aaron insert # to 10 i think? ...just fun stuff to break...for $50 a box don't expect a $200 hit and be happy if you get lucky...but don't complain if you dont make 4x your purchase price on every box...or at least thats the way i look at it....either of those is a fun break though.