Astros Fans...What's the deal with the 1984 Topps Bill Doran?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I am starting to think there is a Ron Kittle-like story behind this card. Doran was a member of the 1983 Topps All- Rookie Team. Had Topps not temporarily stopped using the trophy on the cards in that period, Doran would have sported the trophy, as would Kittle.

They remain the last two cards I need for the autographed ART that year!

Ron Kittle is on facebook and I ended up asking him about his card...why was it so damn tough (impossible) to find signed. He responded by saying that he decided very early in his career that he would only sign this one card for a $25 donation to his favorite charity. Considering a Ron Kittle signed card retails for about $2, I can see how this card has become ultra elusive! The lack of examples on ebay in the last 5 years or so confirms this story in my opinion! I am having an extremely hard time breaking down, even for charity, to buy this card directly from Ron. My main reason is that I will still need several other cards for completion, so this card would merely get me one step closer to what is probably an impossible task!

So Astros fans...why can't I find the 84 Topps Doran card signed? His autos are no harder to find that Kittle's, except his 84 Topps!!! Does he have some secret reason for not signing this card? Does he require a donation to cats without whiskers? Does he not like the photo? Does anyone know, or better yet, does anyone have one they can trade/sell?

The only Doran I have is a signed '84 Fleer. During his playing days, Doran signed sporadically TTM. After retirement he signed rarely TTM. Ususally the only way to get him was IP, which was how I got my '84 Fleer. I think the real reason there aren't many signed '84 Topps is because he wasn't, and hasn't been, a very good signer.

I agree with Jim, he is not a very good signer at all. I got him once in person as a kid and once in a trade.

Thanks guys. I figured the two of you may know. There are not a ton of Doran autos online, but enough. Maybe that set or card is not appealing to most? Keep your eyes out for me if you think about it, as you are probably seeing more Astros than me.

Thanks guys. I figured the two of you may know. There are not a ton of Doran autos online, but enough. Maybe that set or card is not appealing to most? Keep your eyes out for me if you think about it, as you are probably seeing more Astros than me.

I'll keep my eye out for it. If I come across one down here I'll let you know.

I have both Doran and Davis on Topps cards, just not the right one. I knew about the Kittle (he told me himself through facebook, as noted above) and the fee is $25! I recently read the Wright story on a blog. Pretty interesting.

I am curious about the 82 Fleer Garvey card, as a Garvey collector. I had heard that before, maybe from this person. It is actually a lousy card, so if he wanted to pick one, that was one of his worst. I have never seen a signed one, but if I ever get the chance again to meet him, I am trying to get one signed (I have just about everything else, so why not)just to try and if he refuses, I will attempt to get the answer first hand!

I also have a few of those other players on cards indicated they don't sign. They could be from before that rule was made or possibly even fakes.

I guess some players can be picky about the cards they sign. I have Davis on Topps cards, as well. Billy, I appreciate you linking that article. Some players can't stand the picture on the card and will refuse to sign it. For example, the 1969 Clay Carroll Topps card. When he was a player he would refuse to sign that card. I don't know about now, though.