Atomic Buxton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VintageHeros

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Bought two boxes of Platinum at the LCS a few days back...the first box was kind of a bust. Box #2 had 3 autos and a redemption for a Gerrit Cole Auto-Relic...one of those autos was this Buxton Atomic Refractor #5/5...

20130810+Traders022.jpg

Most likely going to sell it on ebay...

That's one worth grading!

If you are just going to sell it, grade it first via BGS or PSA.

It'll make a difference when it's a (hopefully) 9.5 vs ungraded.

Perhaps so, but I've never seen the point in grading a card with such a low serial number. There are only five of them. Aside from authentication, cards are typically graded to set them apart (i.e above) from other copies of the same card. In my opinion, when there are only 5 cards produced the point of grading is minimized. If this were his regular refractor auto #'d to 299 I would be more inclined to have it graded.

That's one worth grading!

If you are just going to sell it, grade it first via BGS or PSA.

It'll make a difference when it's a (hopefully) 9.5 vs ungraded.

Perhaps so, but I've never seen the point in grading a card with such a low serial number. There are only five of them. Aside from authentication, cards are typically graded to set them apart (i.e above) from other copies of the same card. In my opinion, when there are only 5 cards produced the point of grading is minimized. If this were his regular refractor auto #'d to 299 I would be more inclined to have it graded.
A very good example of this was a red refractor autograph I had sold 3 years ago /5
Ungraded, sold for $395-415.. Graded BGS 9.5, buy it now $600.00
Gold refractor I got graded 9.5, average ungraded went for $211, sold for $350 graded.
It's worth it in my book.. especially how popular buxton is.

A very good example of this was a red refractor autograph I had sold 3 years ago /5
Gold refractor I got graded 9.5, average ungraded went for $211, sold for $350 graded.

I guess it's something to consider! Thanks! Rob

Great pulls. Is the Cole available?? Butch

I just redeemed the Cole yesterday (or the day before)...so, at this time I have nothing "in hand" to barter with. Make a note of it and contact me in a few weeks...Thanks! Rob

On ebay, the guy with #4/5 was selling it raw for BIN $1,200 (or so), now he had it graded (came back 9.5/10 auto) and he is asking $3,500 obo...I'm thinking I should have this one graded!

On ebay, the guy with #4/5 was selling it raw for BIN $1,200 (or so), now he had it graded (came back 9.5/10 auto) and he is asking $3,500 obo...I'm thinking I should have this one graded!

That is crazy - why would someone pay $2300 more for that card now?! I was with you on not grading it due to the low serial number, but I guess you'd be smart to if that is really the way collectors think now. Either way, what a beautiful card that I wish I had in my collection (graded or ungraded). Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

That is crazy - why would someone pay $2300 more for that card now?! I was with you on not grading it due to the low serial number, but I guess you'd be smart to if that is really the way collectors think now. Either way, what a beautiful card that I wish I had in my collection (graded or ungraded). Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I know! If it were for my PC I would keep it raw, but if a $20 (or so) investment to get it slabbed increases the sale price even $100 more it seems worthwhile. I suppose I should ask for a minimum grade of 9.5, otherwise it might actually hurt the value versus a raw card. I don't send in enough cards for grading, nor to I buy enough graded cards to really know all that much about it. I usually only care about grading when it comes to my HOF autograph collection, and only then for the authentication.

Remember, you can ask whatever you want, it's a matter of what someone will pay. No way he gets 3500 for something there are 5 copies of.

I know! If it were for my PC I would keep it raw, but if a $20 (or so) investment to get it slabbed increases the sale price even $100 more it seems worthwhile. I suppose I should ask for a minimum grade of 9.5, otherwise it might actually hurt the value versus a raw card. I don't send in enough cards for grading, nor to I buy enough graded cards to really know all that much about it. I usually only care about grading when it comes to my HOF autograph collection, and only then for the authentication.

Yeah - definitely agree with you about the minimum grade!