Auction woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwj20

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I went to an auction site and purchased a card for 3.00, worth one tenth of its value. It's the 1997 Finest Mark McGwire #155 card. The item pictured was the McGwire. The card listed was 1997 Finest #155 Mark McGwire. But instead I received 1997 Finest #5 Dante Bichette, which has an error of being #155 within the set. Nowhere on the listing did it mention it being the error card nor being Bichette.

It was 3 bucks. How far should I press this issue? Part of me says shame on me for believing the auction (not on e-Bay) and paying the 10%. Mind you, I found a (40.00) Cal Ripken from the same set for 5.00 - which was legit.

Do I complain or just cut losses?

You should certainly say something. There is always a chance the seller made an error, and sent the wrong card, only looking at the card # and not the player. But most likely, he purposely tried to get over on anyone that would bid. He might even have a pocket full of $3 bills from these type of listings.

At this point, you lose nothing by saying something, and have the slim chance of getting the card you want.

---Frank

I would definitely complain. If both the photo showed the McGwire and the Listing mentioned it, that is the card you should get. With out the photo there is a chance the seller could argue that it was copied and pasted on to the listing, but with the photo? You should press for the card you won, or at a minimum a refund.

Scott

Thanks for the responses, guys. The only reason I consider cutting the losses is that a refund is given if the cards are sent back. The cost of sending the card back (1.95 package + 0.75 DC + 0.25 Bubble Mailer) is roughly the same. It's a near complete loss across the board.

I submitted a response for action because you cannot message the auction sellers directly at this site. We'll see what happens. This is on the heels of a couple closed sales I had to do over on e-Bay. Just having a bad run of auctioneers and buyers during March.

Frank - Forgot to mention. I left the stuff you sent me back in Camp Lemonnier (Lemon-yay). Hopefully some of the troops get good use out of everything during the down time. Thanks again for the support.

-Justin

Thanks for the responses, guys. The only reason I consider cutting the losses is that a refund is given if the cards are sent back. The cost of sending the card back (1.95 package + 0.75 DC + 0.25 Bubble Mailer) is roughly the same. It's a near complete loss across the board.

-Justin

i'd personally try to work something out to get the right card , BUT , if you do opt for a return , i'd offer some advice :

print your address label using pay pal ...the cost WITH delivery confirmation is only 1.64 for up to 3 ounces....that alone would cut your cost by more than $1.....you could also re-cycle a used bubble mailer and save that expense as well....

This is the problem with using stock photos, he clearly didn't scan the card he sent you, rather he went with the card number. It's the principle of the thing, Bichette is virtually worthless Bronze while the true #155 McGwire is the rare 1:24 pack level SP in the Gold subset.

i'd personally try to work something out to get the right card , BUT , if you do opt for a return , i'd offer some advice :

print your address label using pay pal ...the cost WITH delivery confirmation is only 1.64 for up to 3 ounces....that alone would cut your cost by more than $1.....you could also re-cycle a used bubble mailer and save that expense as well....

I should try saving my bubblers for that. That is a really good idea. I submitted the ticket and he refunded almost the entire amount within the hour. I'm actually impressed with this, I was expecting the usual all out e-Bay warfare that typically goes on.

This is the problem with using stock photos, he clearly didn't scan the card he sent you, rather he went with the card number. It's the principle of the thing, Bichette is virtually worthless Bronze while the true #155 McGwire is the rare 1:24 pack level SP in the Gold subset.

I think that is what happened. He went with the card number and used the stock information. Which would account for 90% of the problem, however, he went with 10% of the stock price.

The irksome thing was that the order info had the name highlighted but yet the card was drastically different as you noted above so clearly.

It reminded me of the time I traded a 1996 Topps Mickey Mantle SP card to greatdadx2. He sent me a huge thank you for sending him the right card and told me about how he had traded for this card at least 5 times in the past only to receive the common version (which is identical looking to the SP) every time. He knew it wasn't malicious but rather an easy mistake from someone not taking the time to double check their cards. But he would just chug along and find someone who would send him the right card. Good thing he still needed the card... that trade helped me knock a huge dent in my 1978 Topps needs!

No hate for the seller. They now know the difference in the card, the dangers of marking incorrect information and hopefully they won't make the mistake again later!