Average Grade Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdot

Bench Warmer
I’ve heard it be said that the average modern card comes out of the pack at about a PSA 9 based on improving manufacturing technology with the caveat that cheaper sets may be lower. Would you all generally agree with this statement? And if so what are some of the NFL sets that would fall into the higher end category? I know generally Prizm is pretty high end, and I believe select too. But outside of that wondering what sets are best to steer toward if I’m seeking quality.

Thanks and as always I appreciate you all sharing your experience with me!

I had another question - that I think ties into the one above…

I’ve been looking at the PSA pop reports and some of the cards im looking at collecting, 65%-80% of the cards submitted to PSA are fetching 10’s….

Does this mean that if I buy one of these cards raw on EBay or COMC, I have 65-80% it being a 10? Or does the fact that 65-85% of the cards submitted have been graded 10, mean there’s less 10’s still floating around in the wild?

@Sdot

I know very little about grading, so I will leave the specifics to our fellow Benchies who are the experts, but I will tell you I see very few cards at shows, online, shops, etc., modern or vintage, score a 10. I see lots of 8s and 9s, but not that many 10s. Now, the 10s may be selling online, or may change hands faster, but I just dont see that many.

Hope that helps!

Kevin

@Sdot

I know very little about grading, so I will leave the specifics to our fellow Benchies who are the experts, but I will tell you I see very few cards at shows, online, shops, etc., modern or vintage, score a 10. I see lots of 8s and 9s, but not that many 10s. Now, the 10s may be selling online, or may change hands faster, but I just dont see that many.

Hope that helps!

Kevin
Definitely helps provide insight… anyone else who’s got some grading experience have any insight?

I still see cards not centered in newer packs which is am to see with all the newer technology out there that cuts these cards. I have graded several right out of the pack and the majority are 9s, but there have a few 8s and 10s mixed in there as well.