Babe Ruth and football

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockinyou

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I contacted Leaf and asked them why Babe Ruth was in a football uniform on this card from the 2016 Babe Ruth Immortal Collection and this is the story they gave me and I don't know where they got their information, but the picture on this card came from his estate. In 1920 the American Professional Football Association was formed and later became the NFL. Jim Thorpe was the President of the League at the time and New York had 2 teams, the Rochester Jeffersons and the Buffalo All Americans and Babe Ruth had just signed a contract with the New York Yankees for $10,000. Babe Ruth was probably one of the most famous and gifted athletes of his era and the American Professional Football Association tried to get Babe Ruth to play football to help promote the league, but the Yankees had him under contract and they made sure that didn't happen. The picture on this card came from his estate and it shows him in the uniform of the era.

Attachments

• Babe Ruth bat card (2).jpg
    Babe Ruth bat card (2).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5