Baseball Card Access Database Design...Need your input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ichibanmnm

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
For those that don't know, I'm currently going back to college pursuing a double major in IT/Networking. This is my 3rd semester and I am taking 15 credit hours, keeping me busy. My classes this semester consist of Databasing(Access/SQL), Spreadsheets(Excel), Linux Single User(SUSE), Windows Admin(Windows Server), Networking(Cisco-first course).

I would like to ask you for your input for what you would want in a Sports Card Database.

I am already familiar with the basics of creating a database, creating queries and forms, but I will be learning more this semester. I am pretty sure that our final assignment for the class will be creating a custom one with examples of all the key features that one may include.

I am asking for your input on what you would expect from one so I may design one for the sports card collector community. Let's start with the basics first, and I'll ask more over time.

So first, how many tables would you like and what would you like in each of the tables?

examples:
year, card #, player first name, player last name (or player full name and what format), would you split brand name from series or prefer them split (ex: Topps Sterling or Topps | Sterling), what if the card contains 2 players?, book value, quantity, condition

if you can add to this list, then go ahead......I will look over everyone's response as to what they would like then go from there........after that is done, we will discuss queries

Thanks ahead for your input!!

Mike

My opinion, I would put the name of the player in one field as "last name, first name".
Then I would split the brand into two fields if possible. (Topps/A&G; Topps/Heritage, Bowman/Chrome etc.) If it was just the regular Topps set I would leave the second field blank.

A few thoughts:

-- split the name (last / first)
-- use additional fields for multi player cards (last1, first1, last2, first2 ...)
-- have binary (y/n) fields for numbered, gu, auto, SP
-- included the print run for numbered (/100, /50 ...)
-- for brand, use the same naming convention that Beckett uses (SPx, not Upper Deck SPx). that way you can cut-and-paste from the database to Beckett to check on bv's.
-- use the same card numbering format as Beckett (Bowman Prospects - BPx; Topps Update - UHxx, etc. ... for the same reason as above)

Good luck!

My opinion, I would put the name of the player in one field as "last name, first name".
Then I would split the brand into two fields if possible. (Topps/A&G; Topps/Heritage, Bowman/Chrome etc.) If it was just the regular Topps set I would leave the second field blank.

This is the type of input I'm looking for, I would separate it like you say, and I think it's best to keep the players full name in one field rather than two....I don't think it would matter whether it's in the format lastname, firstname or firstname lastname, it would still be searchable. What would you do if more than one player was featured and/or named on the card??

Keep the input coming guys!! In the end I will give the final product to everyone who has contributed valuable input.

A few thoughts:

-- split the name (last / first)
-- use additional fields for multi player cards (last1, first1, last2, first2 ...)
-- have binary (y/n) fields for numbered, gu, auto, SP
-- included the print run for numbered (/100, /50 ...)
-- for brand, use the same naming convention that Beckett uses (SPx, not Upper Deck SPx). that way you can cut-and-paste from the database to Beckett to check on bv's.
-- use the same card numbering format as Beckett (Bowman Prospects - BPx; Topps Update - UHxx, etc. ... for the same reason as above)

Good luck!

My first post was pretty quickly formulated, I forgot all about this, as my Manny database was in the same format as BOPG......I would format my database in the same way, but there is need for more fields as we shall see in this thread....thanks Chief!!

EDIT::

One thought, would you not want a field that says that UD made the card and a separate that says it's SPx, or you would just want one field that says that it's SPx?

just thought of this after talking to a friend....what about a field for what box the card is stored in? for those that have many boxes and sort their cards different ways, this would be most helpful

I wouldn't do it for storage, that has changed for me a bunch lately..............I would use the card manufacturer, then the brand, like Upper Deck SPx or Topps Heritage...................I know in Beckett's it doesn't do that: Ultra instead of Fleer Ultra......................It sounds like very repetitious stuff this database, good luck with the project.......................

I wouldn't do it for storage, that has changed for me a bunch lately..............I would use the card manufacturer, then the brand, like Upper Deck SPx or Topps Heritage...................I know in Beckett's it doesn't do that: Ultra instead of Fleer Ultra......................It sounds like very repetitious stuff this database, good luck with the project.......................

How has storage changed for you? Storage was going to be an added field that anyone could delete of course.

What I have set up so far in this order:
Year, Set, Insert, Parallel, Card #, Player1, Player2, Player3, Player4, Serial Numbered(Y/N), Serial Number, Grader, Grade, Condition, BV

Edit this as you see fit and reply!!

If this is for an assignment, the way you structure the tables may depend on what the rules are.

For example, will the database need to be normalized? If so, you will probably have to create one table just for the brands. You would then use a brand ID to join it to other tables. Otherwise, one table should suffice (unless you start nearing Access' storage limit).

How has storage changed for you? Storage was going to be an added field that anyone could delete of course.

What I have set up so far in this order:
Year, Set, Insert, Parallel, Card #, Player1, Player2, Player3, Player4, Serial Numbered(Y/N), Serial Number, Grader, Grade, Condition, BV

Edit this as you see fit and reply!!

I label my storage boxes by letter. So for 2010 base boxes, I have 2010-A, 2010-B, etc. You could do the same with binders. Since my card data base doesn't include base cards (would take me days/weeks to enter each one), I have a one page "cheat sheet", that tells me that box A has Topps and Topps Heritage, box B has Bowman and A&G ... so I can quickly get to the brand I need.

I havent heard anything about team.....for the team collectors...its hard...going through everything just to find

I label my storage boxes by letter. So for 2010 base boxes, I have 2010-A, 2010-B, etc. You could do the same with binders. Since my card data base doesn't include base cards (would take me days/weeks to enter each one), I have a one page "cheat sheet", that tells me that box A has Topps and Topps Heritage, box B has Bowman and A&G ... so I can quickly get to the brand I need.

I feel your pain..I did have a database for my Manny's until I got a horrible virus on my pc (it's funny that I only get viruses form MS Updates). The database I'm going to create will be for ALL cards. I will, in the coming weeks, have queries added in so you can look up by player, brand, and now team.

Hope that will lure you in to using it!!

Last edited:
I have been looking for a usable DB program ever since Beckett put one out years ago before they moved it over to strictly online. Is it going to be a program that will have to where the cards have to manually typed in or will it contain the information already?

I have been looking for a usable DB program ever since Beckett put one out years ago before they moved it over to strictly online. Is it going to be a program that will have to where the cards have to manually typed in or will it contain the information already?

It will not contain the info, you will have to input it yourself

i actually have an access db that my friend created for me...has first name, last name, year, company, insert, card number, quantity, team, then two lines for anything else (like other players, subset name, serial #, gu/au), and then i also have a category section for how i have things organized...as far as search options, i can pull my last name, by team, by team then alpha last name, or by year and company.

that already exists heres a link to it.

http://www.mwpsoftware.com/MWPMain/SubCategory.do?subId=2

i guess if i was in your shoes i would be wondering what i could offer what other places dont or are not able to offer. and thats the million dollar question. Becketts is the current baseline for organization and pricing. but what it is not is customizeable. well it is to a point, but past witer the org or seach features its not. and i am not sure it could be.

maybe you need to look at a more micro scale and make something that can be used by indv collectors. something that could be access by collectors here and built upon from there. i guess thats my two bits.

you have a good idea and good luck with it.

dave

sorry I have left this alone for a while, but great input.......
teammaddux.....I have include all those categories that you have list in some way or another
oldmarine0311....I will have a look at that link here really soon

again,

thanks for the input!!