baseball players to stock up on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
with baseball season a few months away i was trying to figure out the best cards to stock up on to flip once baseball season comes around. the ones i settled on for now are the 2007 bowman chrome madison bumgarner rc and the david price rc. around midseason when they were doing well you could sell them on the pit.com for around 2.50-3 bucks each and a little less on ebay. now they are down to 1.25 on thepit and around a buck apeice or less on ebay. so i was wondering what some people with more experience then me think of the chance they go back up to the 2-3 dollar range come baseball season and what other cards that are cheap that might be worth stocking up on. i dont have a ton of money but if like to get a couple hundered of the price/bumgarners before the season starts but i wanted to get some opinions before i go all out and buy hundereds of them.

Prospecting - buy when the prices are down and sell when they are up.

Everyone knows this and many people take advantage when the prices are low (off season).

I am not saying that those cards in question will or won't increse in price, but many of the collectors who wanted expensive cards, know to wait till the offseason to buy them at a cheaper price.

Good luck on the players/cards you choose.

Prospecting - buy when the prices are down and sell when they are up.

Everyone knows this and many people take advantage when the prices are low (off season).

I am not saying that those cards in question will or won't increse in price, but many of the collectors who wanted expensive cards, know to wait till the offseason to buy them at a cheaper price.

Good luck on the players/cards you choose.

i dont know much about prospects so im looking at young guys who are already up and did good last year. thats why i like the price and bumgarner 07 bowman chromes. they are about half the price now that they were in the season so im hoping to figure out if they are going to go back up to the value of last year

i have no doubt they will go up but i dont want to pay 1 dollar for them hold them for months only to have them only go up to like 1.25. i feel confident those 2 cards wont go down but if the dont go back up near last years level then im putting money out for near nothing.

The problem is that who knows which cards are going to go back up until the season starts and we see what kind of season the players are having. That is what drives the cards up. Very hard to tell if these cards will go up and very risky to buy at that level. If they were under $.50 a card I could understand going for many but at the $1.00 a card range there is just way to much to lose. JMO.
Trish

If you're looking at Prospecting, find out the team's highly-touted draft picks that are in AA or AAA and should make the majors at some point next season. If you're buying players already up, 95% of the time you missed the chance on that player.

The only other really viable option is to buy a young prospect who was injured or off the roster after some amount of stardom. Bounce-back players always do well (Greinke, Hamilton for two examples)

If you're looking at Prospecting, find out the team's highly-touted draft picks that are in AA or AAA and should make the majors at some point next season. If you're buying players already up, 95% of the time you missed the chance on that player.

The only other really viable option is to buy a young prospect who was injured or off the roster after some amount of stardom. Bounce-back players always do well (Greinke, Hamilton for two examples)

im not looking at prospecting im looking at players who have done well in the majors and whos cards are just down because its the offseason which is why bumgarner and price are a couple im looking at. i like bounce back players but i dont have alot of money to risk so thats why im looking at good players whos cards are just down because of the offseason so its a safer investment.

im not looking at prospecting im looking at players who have done well in the majors and whos cards are just down because its the offseason which is why bumgarner and price are a couple im looking at. i like bounce back players but i dont have alot of money to risk so thats why im looking at good players whos cards are just down because of the offseason so its a safer investment.

As in anything, higher risk is higher reward. If you're buying 'good' players that have some experience you might turn a small profit but odds are far against you making any amount of money that would in turn make it worthwhile in the first place. You have to define a line of how much you need to make to have this be worth your time and effort.

Just my two cents, but I've been in this game for years. The money is made off of current minor league players.

As in anything, higher risk is higher reward. If you're buying 'good' players that have some experience you might turn a small profit but odds are far against you making any amount of money that would in turn make it worthwhile in the first place. You have to define a line of how much you need to make to have this be worth your time and effort.

Just my two cents, but I've been in this game for years. The money is made off of current minor league players.

I completly understand that money is made off minor league players and in the future when i have more money i will invest. but i was looking at last seasons prices when those 2 were doing well and their cards were going for 2.50-3 bucks each and now they are going for 1-1.25. i dont have the money to take a massive risk right now so i figure if i can buy now for cheap those 2 should be selling for at least 2 bucks a card if they are having a good season(if is the risk obviously but they have a better chance since they have already had success) and at the worst i should be able to get out with little to no loss.

i may be flawed in the way im looking at the situation but thats why im asking board members now and i do appreciate the help.

I once had a friend tell me that once a player makes the majors, she sells. It stuck in my head and over time, I've realized this is a great strategy. You're also better off buying a $20 card than 20 $1 cards. If you're looking to do it for fun and make a little money, that's fine. As previously stated in this thread, most of the money made is from players who are not yet major leaguers. If you're unsure, take a small risk. You'll learn the most from doing the actual buying and selling.

Here's an excellent blog to help you out:
http://prospectforprofit.com/

If your going to invest in prospecting...Baseball of America puts out a prospect baseball on the minor leagues top 50 of each major league team! est regards, David

Alot of people are missing out on what im trying to do right now. im not looking to prospect thats to much risk for what little money i can risk right now. im looking for good players whos cards are down because its the offseason and will go back up once the season starts. ive found a couple that are half the value they were during the season and im looking for any other ideas of cards that are quite low during the offseason that will come back in value once the player gets back on the field and starts playing again. thats why i chose price and bumgarners cards. im not looking to prospect.

Strasburg cards because of his injury are down. Best regards, David

i thought about that but they are a little pricey for me at still 5-10 bucks for his bowman chromes and bowman rcs. i do plan on picking a few up this summer when schools over and i have more money to throw around. maybe ill take my profits from this and buy stras.

Not sure if I would put much into Price. He is going to be good but I think the team could be on decline therefore limiting his potential. He may have had his career season this year.

Not sure if I would put much into Price. He is going to be good but I think the team could be on decline therefore limiting his potential. He may have had his career season this year.

he is going to be a quick flip for me. once his cards are going for 1.75-2 bucks(which isnt a long shot considering they were 3 last year) each again on thepit.com they are gone and just the hype around baseball season should do that and that will be a 75 cent-1 dollar profit on each card.

he is going to be a quick flip for me. once his cards are going for 1.75-2 bucks(which isnt a long shot considering they were 3 last year) each again on thepit.com they are gone and just the hype around baseball season should do that and that will be a 75 cent-1 dollar profit on each card.

What I'm saying is there may not be that bump in value you are hoping for based on the perception that he isn't going to be as good this year.

:cool:
What I'm saying is there may not be that bump in value you are hoping for based on the perception that he isn't going to be as good this year.

i agree there wont be the same bump as last year which is why im estimating them being close to 1.75-2 rather then 3 which was pretty high i thought. i unloaded a bunch of price and bumgarner last year when they were at around 3. but thats the great thing about baseball he may not do near as good or he may come out and do better. but for me im expecting a good not great season out of him as well as values not as high as last year. but i do agree the same bump wont be there.