• Quit after the Jordan era

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Never was into basketball

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • collect a little here and there

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltbfree

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Basketball posts seems light on The Bench. I myself am a basketball collector and check quite a bit for new posts. It seems a lot of you did basketball at some point but then gave it up. Evidenced by posts with Anfernee Hardaway, Grant Hill RC's, etc, stuff from that era.

Anyhow, if you are a current basketball collector, let me know. I am always looking for Topps Gold Celtics RC's and Topps Gold RC's. (Also have mild interest in Topps Chrome refractor & Xfractor RC's). Also my son really like the new Panini Threads die-cut jsy cards.

See the poll for fun.

Last edited:
I'm a little here and there. I'm not a basketball collector, really, but I like picking up Larry Bird/Celtics stuff when I can. (And I'm working on that 33-variation set from 2008, slowly.)

I have a small collection of Celtics autos that I'm working on as a side piece to the Mets collection too.

i'd say i still qualify as avid , just with different buying habits than before...

the combination of higher priced boxes and the ability to locate so many cards via the internet definitely led to my shift from buying tons of boxes to picking up specific rookies , vintage , set-building needs (mostly 1986-2004) , and player collection needs ...

the set-building will always be a high priority , but my MAIN focus now is my sc gamecock collection... that portion of the collection should be hitting a nice little milestone in the next week or so when i should be receiving my 100th different renaldo balkman autograph (currently i stand at 94 different and 150 total with 2 new and 1 duplicate already incoming).....

As stricktly a setbuilder myself I noticed that for all practical purposes there are no basketball set collectors, at least for the older buildable sets. Any more I'm not even focusing on most new baseball sets as the SPs are often multi-tiered and filled with autograph issues, for basketball which has a much shorter player career, probably due to a greater potential for injury, I don't want to shell out money or prime player material for players that aren't going to be on a squad in 4 years.

I used to do shows from about 2001-04, and used to keep a fair amount of inventory (basketball graded RC's, autos, GU, etc.) I lost interest in basketball eventually, though I still dabble in it here and there. It's also partly because of the way I collect, namely my main focus of collecting Jewish players. There are over a dozen such active players in baseball, as there have been for the last 10-15 years. However, after the retirement of Danny Schayes in 1999, there were no Jewish players in the NBA at all, until Jordan Farmar debuted in 2006.

Eventually, I would like to put up a thread listing my basketball stuff for trade, and to try to move it for Farmar stuff. But alas, there are only so many hours in the day. It just might not be worth the time if there isn't much interest here.

I haven't collected basketball cards since the era you mentioned "Penny and Grant Hill"!!! I do collect college cards though! The NBA seems to be in a terrible down slide both the actual game and the hobby!

Christopher

I used to do shows from about 2001-04, and used to keep a fair amount of inventory (basketball graded RC's, autos, GU, etc.) I lost interest in basketball eventually, though I still dabble in it here and there. It's also partly because of the way I collect, namely my main focus of collecting Jewish players. There are over a dozen such active players in baseball, as there have been for the last 10-15 years. However, after the retirement of Danny Schayes in 1999, there were no Jewish players in the NBA at all, until Jordan Farmar debuted in 2006.

Eventually, I would like to put up a thread listing my basketball stuff for trade, and to try to move it for Farmar stuff. But alas, there are only so many hours in the day. It just might not be worth the time if there isn't much interest here.

Omri Casspi is Jewish also!

I am very active in Basketball collecting. I mainly do sets. Right now thou not as much as it is Basketball Season and I coach High School Basketball. If Any one has lists that needs filled I will try and help you out seeing I have around 25,000 basektball cards.
Later
Chieftazmisty

I still build older basketball sets and collect vintage basketball cards.

It just seems like not many people have basketball singles available.

Many of the new members are younger and if they collect basketball, it is of the current star players.

I answered "Quit after the Jordan era", but the answer really is Quit after the Bird era! My PC for Basketball is Topps sets from 72-94, Fleer from 86-94, and a few Star sets with a few holes still. One of these days, I'll dig them out and make some lists...
Scott

I went with 'Jordan era' also. Always been 95% baseball, but back in the mid 80's to early 90's I remember the end of Dr J's career, Magic, Bird, Jordan, McHale, Parrish, Rodman, Pippen, Hakeem, Ewing, Isiah, Dumars, Dominique, Malone and Stockton, Mullins, Tim Hardaway, Reggie Miller, etc, etc. Then the guys started coming from college, Robinson, Larry Johnson, and the frenzy of Shaq and Alonzo, Chris Webber, Penny Hardaway, then Garnett. Then it died off for a while until I heard about Kobe, Duncan, AI, and LeBron. If pressed today, I know about Kobe, LeBron, KG, Iverson, Duncan. I vaguely have a sense of the accomplishments of Nowitzki, Nash, and am aware there is a lot of people rearranging their rosters to make money for the big 3 or 4 free agents this summer, but I couldn't tell you much of anything about probably 90% of the players, couple that with the packs and boxes being at 3-4 figures last time I looked (which was a few years ago now), and I felt like I had worse lottery luck than the Timberwolves.

I'll pick up nice condition HOF'ers from the 70's-Shaq if the price is right, same with football and hockey, but other than that, it's baseball.

I have only been in the hobby for about 5 years and I have to say, basketball are not as popular as say baseball. I'm not sure why, but they are just not as popular. It is probabily not enough effort is put into basketball than compared to baseball. But hopefully Panini can do something about that. I collect only Deron Williams in basketball, so I voted little here and there.

I collect very little, I am just looking to complete the 86/87 Fleer Set and pick up a handful of Knicks autos. Currently, my basketball list is only 20 cards:

(17) 1986-87 Fleer cards I need to finish the set
(3) NY Knicks Autos (Oakley, Starks, Larry Johnson)

Last edited:
Here is my point of view-I usually do the Topps set every year but trying to complete it becomes difficult...when barely anyone collects Basketball..i would say barely 10% of the members collect basketball..so it becomes that much more difficult to pick up cards for my sets especially when hardly no one on here collects the stuff..if i make a thread looking for basketball needs there is hardly any replies and if there is a reply its do you buy or there looking for baseball in return..I am in the process of re-doing my basketball page on my site which is going to list every single card i own most likely a waste of time because no one will even bother to look..I think of the 2200+ trades i made on here about 2% involve basketball...