Bench rules and the Banner ads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M's in 2006

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
So.... if one of the rules about being a bench member is to keep conversations clean, not discussing religion or politics etc, why is there a banner ad to contribute to Romney's campaign? Seems it's a bit against our set rules on here.

Just curious :)

Brian

The banner ads are controlled by google, etc. Most of them are customized to each user based on other dites they visit, etc.

As someone who is rabidly political in other places, I would like to chip in: I think that the power(s) that be on The Bench have done a good job of allowing free speech (politics and religion stuff) in the right places while keeping it out of the actual trading areas. I would be bummed if Romney ads were specifically allowed by the Google filter (especially to the exclusion of Obama ones), but I fully believe that Google serves up whatever it likes and I don't care what they give me. They're sending the site money, after all, in exchange for nothing more than pictures and words most of us ignore.

90% of the google ads are geared towards the end user. So the ads that display while I surf the site will be different from what you see. It's all based on your browsing history.

Visit the mbusa.com and a few minutes later you will see banner ads for Mercedes Benz.

I have yet to see a political ad, because my internet surfing doesn't involve politics.

I agree with MontserratPlay here. I feel like there has been way too much whining on this site lately. Yes, the site changed, and I didn't love it at first either, but I understood why it had to be done and I got used to it. This is a FREE site that provides a great service I can't get anywhere else. I wouldn't bother making sets if not for this site, and I get real and tangible enjoyment from being able to do so. The people who run this site give a lot of their time for FREE. So, to quote Montserrat, "They're (Google Ads are) sending the site money, after all, in exchange for nothing more than pictures and words most of us ignore". Just ignore the ads. The site has to get funding from somewhere. I'm pretty sure the guy made out of money in the Geico ads isn't spewing twenties in Champs' driveway. And, by the way, thanks to all the people who run this site. It brings me a lot of enjoyment.

Robert

Thanks for understanding. Appreciate the support.

I agree with MontserratPlay here. I feel like there has been way too much whining on this site lately. Yes, the site changed, and I didn't love it at first either, but I understood why it had to be done and I got used to it. This is a FREE site that provides a great service I can't get anywhere else. I wouldn't bother making sets if not for this site, and I get real and tangible enjoyment from being able to do so. The people who run this site give a lot of their time for FREE. So, to quote Montserrat, "They're (Google Ads are) sending the site money, after all, in exchange for nothing more than pictures and words most of us ignore". Just ignore the ads. The site has to get funding from somewhere. I'm pretty sure the guy made out of money in the Geico ads isn't spewing twenties in Champs' driveway. And, by the way, thanks to all the people who run this site. It brings me a lot of enjoyment.

Robert

Doesn't Ad Blocker simply block the ad from displaying? The ads are still getting "sent" to me, as far as Google is concerned.

Ad Blocker detects a script and blocks it from loading. So the user in turn never sees an ad but it also never loads an ad. Why would google payout for something that never displayed. It's just how it works the software is smart enough to know what to display and IF it displayed it. Ultimately clicks are what matters be it from google or using our Ebay links. That's what pays the bills around here....if everyone has ad blocker then no one has The Bench

On a side note Ad Blocker can sometimes cause site features to be blocked. It can sometimes think that a custom script we have on our site is an AD and block it from showing/working properly. Just something to think about next time someone is experiencing a problem that only they are having.

Sorry folks :) didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I really was just curious ;) I love the bench too for everything it is, and VERY appreciate of the moderators.

I do a lot of "Fact checking" on Romney through google, so thats probably why google thinks I "Might" want to support him. LOL.

Saw and ad.....older woman don't want younger men....they want u.......Best regards, David PS plus they had pictures of about three or four woman!