Benchie Postal Worker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teammaddux

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Do we have any members of the Bench who work for the Post Office? I have a question for them concerning Delivery Confirmation/Tracking, and need an expert answer.

Thanks, John

Work for the Post Office in San Diego...No matter what I do I always buy, sale and trade through Paypal. As for shipping? I recently made three trades...all of them sent their;s from the post office with delivery confirmation...had to hand write the addresses and go to the post office to mail them...and it cost them $2.24 for up to three ounces.
I used Paypal's multi-order service and for only $1.69 each...I got to mail up to three ounces, got a nicely printed invoice, and a label with all the pertinent information type out and an attached delivery confirmation bar code...you can print it out on sticky back paper...but I print the label out on plain white paper and then using the 3 inch tape (which I buy at Costco for 8 rolls for $10) to tape all four side of a self sealing 4 x 8 padded envelope (which I won on ebay for about $20 delivered for 500) and also, cut a small piece of tape to cover the address (since I have seen parcel that have passed my way after being mailed in the rain that have had the address dissolved to nothingness.)
Anyways, hope this helps.
Bob

Sorry I didn't clarify. The question I had deals with someone I won cards from eBay. He got DC, and I viewed his tracking info, and after two weeks the only thing that showed was the DC#. No departure, no ETA. Two weeks later, nothing shows up. He claims to have sent, but I think he never sent. He refunded my money, but I wonder if he didn't send because he was not happy with what the cards went for.

fwiw , even if a package does have tracking (formerly called delivery confirmation) you will only see updates when the item is actually scanned.....in theory , they should be scanned at each stage/status of the delivery (eg , acceptance , arrival/departure from sort facilities , out for delivery , delivery , missent , etc)...unfortunately , not all packages get scanned at every step they are supposed to be and many are only scanned upon actual delivery....i can vouch for receiving many many items that had ONLY the delivery scan as well as quite a few that i sent out with tracking that were only scanned upon arrival at their destinations....also , in two separate cases i've received ebay items with only the delivery scan - more than 3 months after they were shipped .....can't say for sure about your seller , but i'd at least give him the benefit of the doubt unless you have a surefire way (such as seeing that he has relisted the exact same serially numbered card) to see that he still has the items ......

yeah, well initially he gouged me on shipping, then wanted to have me ask for a refund (this is before I paid for the cards). I'm keeping an eye on his auctions; unfortunately, only one of the 6 that I won was serial #'d.

John

What I am saying with his is that he could have bought the postage, so that I'd see a DC number, and then never sent. There was no expected date of arrival, no departure city or arrival city. And it's been 3 weeks. Maybe I'll get them, most likely not.

I'm also a postal worker, and I've noticed it sounds like cmcjr99 is pretty accurate in his description of our system. I don't know for sure about anything in particular not showing up without scans until arrival since we've changed Delivery Confirmation to USPS Tracking (which seems to me in my limited usage to be more informational).

I have a question on the bubble envelopes.......was told by a fellow member when I quoted the 3 increases over the last 6 years.....as the post office employees were over charging me! 95 per cent of the post office employees charge $2.07 on a bubble envelope under 2 oz.....however, their was one only charging $1.12 and they all were delived and no extra charge to the person getting them! So the other 95% of the employees were wrong? Best regards, David

the one charging 1.12 is wrong......ALL bubble mailers are now supposed to be shipped as parcels.....the 1.12 rate is for a non-machinable irregular-sized envelope but that category is not supposed to include bubble mailers.....for any mailers sent with just 1.12 postage , they SHOULD be delivered as postage due...if they weren't , consider yourself and your trading partners/buyers lucky.....

But consider this! I also mailed a few bubble envelopes from San Francisco and they charge the same bubble envelopes $2.53!! and the ones I did where I live.....is not just one post office but.....three different sites plus one contract office!! So it appears no one at the post offices or contract offices know what their doing......no wonder they messed up!! Best regards, David

Last edited:
the one charging 1.12 is wrong......ALL bubble mailers are now supposed to be shipped as parcels.....the 1.12 rate is for a non-machinable irregular-sized envelope but that category is not supposed to include bubble mailers.....for any mailers sent with just 1.12 postage , they SHOULD be delivered as postage due...if they weren't , consider yourself and your trading partners/buyers lucky.....

The post offices don't know what their doing! Visted another Post Office and guess what!!! bubble enveloples 00....one 1oz the other .08...and one 4oz........$1.32 for the 4 oz and 92 cent for the other two!! for a grand total of $3.16....

Well be careful with sending stuff out at grocery stores in the last few months I have had 5 things returned to me for insufficient postage. I called the main postal office and supposedly they are seeing a large increase in stuff coming from these places not being charged properly and are just going to start returning what they can to the original sender. I then called to complain to where I have been mailing everything out about this and they tell me we send it how we were informed to do it...with so many employees at these places and various ways to interpret what goes out as what I fully understand how things can be mixed up and mailed. Just really getting me mad now that I'm footing sending the stuff out more then once and of course the post office won't just let ya make up the difference once you get it back.