Best card chatter these days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I hate to do this on a specific site, but I know a lot of members are not exclusive to any one site. Much more so that just trading, I enjoy the chatter and either people share their collections, experiences and knowledge. After a while on a single site, things can get stale. I'm hoping your willingness to explore the web and use multiple sites might help me prevent some of the leg work. I am not trying to leave this site, but want to add some depth to my surfing experience.

I hope this doesn't bother anyone too much, but just putting out feelers to see if any other sites are fairly chatty these days? I do not want to or plan to join numerous sites. I don't have the time or patience to log into 8-10 sites every day. I like to come home from work and unwind with some mindless surfing for a couple hours with quick trips to, primarily, The Bench, baseball-reference (to see if anyone passed away that I had not heard of yet) and COMC & ebay for the daily garvey searches. I would just like to add another site or two to the rotation, in hopes of entertaining myself.

I tried the collectors universe site recently, but it is not showing the potential I had hoped. I actually found it through a web search and landed in someone's for sale thread. That turned out to be a bust lead unfortunately, but I had to join to contact the guy to find that out. I checked out the site though and looked like there would be some decent chatter, but I now see that it is a very single minded site for the most part, graded card topics and unopened product (for the purpose of grading i suspect). I guess the fact it is basically the grading company's site should have clued me in.

Any suggestions for some good card related chat. i'd like a wide range of topics from player collections, to vintage, to graded, to oddball, etc. Hopefully i learn a few things, contribute and help someone else out and maybe even find a few items i could use for my collection in the process.

For conversations about vintage, Net54 is really the only place to go. They've expanded a bit to be more inclusive of post 1980 stuff in the past year or so, but the site is still 99% vintage oriented. If this hobby had legends, they'd be most likely to post over there.

A lot of the best player collecting and oddball talk seems to be over at FreedomCardBoard. That's where I spend most of my time. I couldn't seem to generate any interest in anything I wanted to talk about here. That's reallly why I started my blog, so I could just ramble on topics that interested me and not clog up a message board. There just isn't a forum that cares anything about foreign or minor league cards anywhere. I still come back here and SCF to trade, mainly because of the trade managers. I'm on the Inventory Manager staff at SCF, but the conversation over there is pretty thin (at least in the baseball areas that interest me).

Last edited:
I second Freedomcardboard, though there is very little discussion of vintage, stuff from the 80's to today is pretty well discussed. I'd stay away from the Blowoutcards forums, while it gets a lot of traffic and has a lot of helpful info on current releases, there are a lot of flame wars and trollish behavior.

Richard

Agreed about Blowout. Besides, any really interesting conversations at BO end up being linked and referenced at FCB. Same with Collectors Universe. All the interesting oddball or deep research-type conversations get linked and re-discussed at FCB.

There are still occasional interesting conversations at Beckett, but the inability to reference any forums outside Beckett severely limit the depth of the discussions. I think that's SCF's biggest problem. They trying to wall themselves off from the rest of the hobby forums, and it's just hurting the quality of the content there.

Wow...everyone has hit most of the key points of the sites listed so far.

Blowout - flame/bullying/troll heaven.
FCB - mainly baseball
SCF - decent for trading, but not much in the way of discussions
CU - 90% talk on graded, unopened and wrestling cards.
TheBench - used to be my goto for "card talk", but with the advent of twitter, blogs, etc it has slowed down ALOT.
TCC - my "home", but now mainly for group breaks
HK - mainly basketball
Beckett - occasionally still some good topics

Definitely hit the blogs. My biggest complaint with blogs is my inability to remember where I've left a comment in order to be able to go back and see if there was any response and continue a conversation. Is there a site or something for keeping track of comments you've left on blogs?

For prospects information and talks...it has to be the FCB site. Jayper has been listing the auto prospects in the bowman draft picks baseball coming out later. Best regards, David

there may be on the dashboard page. i have a blog, but have not spent a great deal of time on the dashboard other than to post a new entry.

I follow a handful of blogs and pop into others from time to time, but too many to continually follow.

thanks to all for the feedback on the sites. i found out yesterday i had signed up for SCF back in 09, but posted once and left. I was checking it out last night, but there seem to be too many forums. I'd go into a category and see 10+ forums. then pick one, open it and find 10+ forums within!

the Net54 site was cool at first, but it was apparent that I couldn't hang with those guys. I am semi-fluent back to about the 30s, then it gets sparse. i started feeling small when i didn't have any Ruths or Cobbs to talk about!

i'll try freedowm card. i may have joined at one point even....we'll see i guess.

Definitely hit the blogs. My biggest complaint with blogs is my inability to remember where I've left a comment in order to be able to go back and see if there was any response and continue a conversation. Is there a site or something for keeping track of comments you've left on blogs?