Best Personal IP Success 7/13/2012 - Toledo Mud Hens at Rochester Red Wings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montserratplay

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Even though my current girlfriend (it's complicated) is from Rochester, I had never seen Frontier Field. I decided to fix that oversight by taking the opportunity to check out a game, especially because the Red Wings played the Mud Hens. As you may be able to guess, I was interested in the Mud Hens because they are once and future Tigers.

I think Frontier Field has fewer seats than Alliance Bank Park, the Chiefs' home and where I do most of my IP. Sections were filled much more tightly and folks seemed a lot more animated than in the Salt City. (Syracuse.) I read about the buffalo wing mac and cheese and decided to try that. I wasn't sure about the flavor combination. Basically, they put a bed of mac and cheese in a bowl, then covered it with pieces of chicken, blue cheese sauce and hot sauce. I liked the dish, but I may have to have it a couple times before I appreciate it. Frontier Field is interesting in the fact that it's one of those parks that are built into a giant hole in the ground; if you have a ticket, you can walk right into the outfield gate and see the game. The ground-level box seats are VERY close to the field. I was in the front row and at one point, a foul ball ripped right at me and I felt like I was watching a 3-D movie or something. (Don't worry; I'm joking.) I was surprised there was only a net behind home plate and no net from the home plate fence to the luxury boxes. If you want a foul ball, sitting in the upper-deck seats behind home plate is a good idea. Oh, and I really hate the scorecard. It's only a dollar, but the scorecard is printed on newsprint and bound into the "yearbook." The scorecard doesn't even have any slots for the pitchers. Low marks. Sorry, but this is something I really care about! I love scoring the game!

Okay, autograph-wise. I got great information from the folks on SCN and I set up on the outfield side of the visitors' dugout. (In Frontier Field, that's the third-base side.) As a Tigers fan, I was pretty well loaded with cards for almost everyone on the roster. I was a little bit worried because the other autograph seekers were on the home plate side of the dugout and I was on the outfield side. (The folks on the home plate side of the dugout had the advantage of being able to simply hold their binders across a railing as the player entered the dugout from the clubhouse.) I think it all worked out. Before the game, I got the battery as they walked (separately) to warm up in the outfield. (Adam Wilk and Rob Brantly.) I was alone, so that may have helped, too. I got Matt Young, Argenis Diaz, Bryan Holaday and John Lindsay before the game. I particularly liked Lindsay. I LOVE that he's older than I am and that he has worked so hard. He also seemed really nice.

How was the game? Not the best, if you're a Tiger/Mud Hen fan. Wilk was facing Liam Hendriks, an Australian lefty. (More on him later.) The Red Wings jumped to an early lead, tagging Hendriks for two runs in the second on Holaday's ground rule double. After that, unfortunately, the Mud Hens didn't score until Diaz's fielder's choice RBI in the ninth. The Red Wing bats were healthy last night. I was so happy for J.R. Towles, former Astro. I got him IP last year and he was very nice and signed a bunch for everyone. He went 2-3 with a HBP in the eighth. Most importantly, he knocked a big home run to left field. Good for him. Tsuyoshi Nishioka struck out looking in the fourth. After a VERY short argument with the umpire, he was tossed out of the game. I dunno...he must have used the magic word because it didn't look like an extensive argument. (After the game, I heard Nishioka signed IP for another guy, the 2011 Topps Chrome where he's pictured with Gardenhire. Apparently, Nishioka jokingly feigned striking out Gardenhire's face on the card. Unfortunately, folks have disputes.) Ray Chang (VERY nice to folks after the game) stepped in. Wilk pitched five decent innings with a bunch of Ks and no walks.

So here's the most important thing to us autograph folks: Frontier Field is WAY better than the Syracuse stadium for autographs. First of all, both teams come out of the same entrance. Awesome. Second, no barricades and the autograph seekers were all respectful and friendly and let players zip away if that's what they wanted. (I'm talking about you, Jacob Turner.) Chang posed for photos with some young ladies who clearly had crushes on him. The players simply walked to their hotels, so it was up to autograph seekers to call the players' names and ask for a signature.

As I hinted in the title, this was indeed my best-ever IP night. By far. One fellow grapher was particularly kind in helping me identify the guys. (And if I had understood both teams come out the same door, I would have brought my Red Wings cards.) Here was my total haul:

2010 Luke Putkonen Bowman Chrome Prospects Green Refractor BCP157 IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2010 Luke Putkonen Bowman Chrome Prospects BCP157 IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2011 Adam Wilk Bowman 98 RC IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2011 Adam Wilk Bowman 98 RC IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2010 Adam Wilk Bowman Chrome Prospects BCP58 IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2010 Matt Young Bowman 77 RC IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Braves) 1 IP
2010 Matt Young Bowman 77 RC IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Braves) 1 IP
1991 Phil Nevin Topps Traded 83T IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Team USA)
1996 Phil Nevin Upper Deck Collector's Choice 548 IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
1986 Leon Durham Topps 460 IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Cubs) 1 IP
2010 Collin Balester Topps 654 IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Nationals) 1 IP
2010 Collin Balester Topps 654 IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Nationals) 1 IP
2010 Collin Balester Topps 654 Wal-Mart Black Border IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Nationals) 1 IP
2009 Collin Balester Topps 192 IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Nationals) 1 IP
2011 Rob Brantly Bowman Chrome Prospects Green Refractor BCP186 IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2010 Casey Crosby Bowman Prospects Black BP20 IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2010 Argenis Diaz Topps Update US-147 IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Pirates) 1 IP
2011 Argenis Diaz (Rookie Parade Infielders) Topps Heritage 497 IP Auto 7/13/2012 (Pirates) 1 IP
2011 Bryan Holaday Bowman Chrome Prospects Green Refractor BCP173 IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2011 Bryan Holaday 20/25 Bowman Chrome Prospects Orange Refractor BCP173 IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2011 John Lindsey Bowman 207 RC IP Auto 7/13/2012 1 IP
2012 Liam Hendriks Allen & Ginter 239 RC IP Auto 7/13/2012 Twins

Phil Nevin was pretty nice, but I heard that Durham was prickly. He did give me advice as to how I should hand players the Sharpie, but it wasn't in the most pleasant of tones. But that's okay. Collin Balester has a very cool moustache at the moment. (We all wanted Andy Oliver, but he's on the DL and didn't show. I wanted Zach Miner, but he's on the DL, too.)

I'm not sure why I did so, but I tossed that Liam Hendriks A&G into my binder. I am glad I did! I talked to him briefly last year after a Syracuse game and he seemed like a really decent and fun guy. He signed for the few folks near the doors on the same night he pitched 7 innings, allowed only 3 hits, struck out 5 and walked none.

Oh...and how could I forget? I received a Tigers legend today, TTM.

1976 Mickey Stanley Topps 483
1979 Mickey Stanley Topps 692
1975 Mickey Stanley Topps 141

Mickey Stanley was a Tiger mainstay for a decade and a half. He is a proud member of the 1968 Championship team and I love that his auto looks just like the one on his card, thirty-five years later.

Phew! So that was my fun evening in Rochester! Good luck with your own graphing!

Sounds like you had a great time anyway. Nice pickups! Of course, as a Twins fan, I like the Red Wings. Glad to hear Hendriks is doing alright. He seems like a very nice guy. That Nishioka, though... He's different. I never was a big fan of him and he seems to do more harm than good to a team.

Btw, how exactly are you supposed to hand them the sharpie? Lol. I prefer to stick the cap on the end (so it's less hassle for them) and hand it to them facing me (so they don't get marker on their hands). I'd be interested to know how Phil Nevin prefers it, though.

Curtis

Sounds like you had a great time anyway. Nice pickups! Of course, as a Twins fan, I like the Red Wings. Glad to hear Hendriks is doing alright. He seems like a very nice guy. That Nishioka, though... He's different. I never was a big fan of him and he seems to do more harm than good to a team.

Btw, how exactly are you supposed to hand them the sharpie? Lol. I prefer to stick the cap on the end (so it's less hassle for them) and hand it to them facing me (so they don't get marker on their hands). I'd be interested to know how Phil Nevin prefers it, though.

Curtis

Curtis - it was Leon Durham who schooled me. I have been carefully handing it to players with the point obtusely angled away from them so as to prevent accidents while trying to allow easy grabbing. Mr. Durham advised me to hand the marker butt-end first to the player with the point in my direction. I suppose that does offer the player more protection.

Are either of the Putkonens for trade? If so I have an extra Oliver 2010 Topps from Toledos autograph day.

I wouldn't mind trading the regular non-green Putkonen refractor for your extra Oliver. I am happy to trade you just the one card, but feel free to look through my lists to see if you want anything else and we could build a bigger deal. You have a lot of awesome Tiger stuff, by the way. Your posts have made me jealous! =)

Curtis - it was Leon Durham who schooled me. I have been carefully handing it to players with the point obtusely angled away from them so as to prevent accidents while trying to allow easy grabbing. Mr. Durham advised me to hand the marker butt-end first to the player with the point in my direction. I suppose that does offer the player more protection.

I wouldn't mind trading the regular non-green Putkonen refractor for your extra Oliver. I am happy to trade you just the one card, but feel free to look through my lists to see if you want anything else and we could build a bigger deal. You have a lot of awesome Tiger stuff, by the way. Your posts have made me jealous! =)

Thanks for the compliment! PM Sent to ya!

Alan