Best Way To Sell Vintage Sets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

julycoaron

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I have been collecting for over 50 years and have amassed many complete sets going back to 1955. As I am getting older, I realize that none of my children or grandchildren have any interest in baseball, let alone baseball cards. It's time to sell. But how?

For example, I'd like to sell my 1955 Bowman set. None of the cards are graded, but it's a very nice set. I'd say most of the cards are in excellent condition, some better, some worse. It's been in my possession for about 50 years. I really don't want to break up the set. I spent a lot of time putting it together. Ideally, I'd like to find a collector who wants to add this to his (or her) collection. But will a collector pay top dollar for a set that he has not seen in person? How do I find an interested buyer?

Ebay is the other option. I've been on eBay for almost 25 years and have sold a lot of cards. Earlier this year, I had an Ebay situation where I sold a 1974 Kelloggs complete set for a reasonable price. When the buyer received the cards, he complained that some of the cards were in worse condition than I had advertised. I offered him a full refund and paid to have the cards mailed back to me. When I got them back, he had cherry-picked a few of the cards and sent me back cards with cracks in them. I had scanned all of the cards and I know they did not have cracks. Ebay says I couldn't prove that the cards I sent were the same cards I scanned, so they sided with the buyer. How do I prevent that from happening with my 1955 Bowman set?

I know that grading seems to be the way to go, but that is cost prohibitive.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Brian Aronson

Assuming that you have a very large collection, you may want to look into contacting an auction house and selling them that way. You are going to have to pay the auction house a percentage but I honestly feel this is the best way for someone to sell a rather extensive collection, especially when dealing with vintage sets. And the auction house is going to do the majority of the work. They also can probably put more eyes on the collection through their advertising. I would contact some in your area and see what they say.

Some times, the auction house does not charge the seller a commission, as they have a higher buyers premium. I would be interested in the 1955 Bowman set, but as you said, it is tough not doing deals in person on these types of items (at least for me, unless I am getting a deal on said item).

Brian, Ive known about your awesome collection since the old Topps board days if Im not mistaken. If I remember right, you basically had a very large run of sets from the mid 50's on. If you dont want to break them up, as Bryon stated an auction house may be the way to go. Although id love to see those sets listed on ebay, an auction house may be the way to go.

One other suggestion may be one of those guys that used to advertise in Beckett. Kit Young, Mr. Mint, etc... Big enough collection and they will fly to your house. Only problem with that is, the cost of plane tickets would come out of their offer right off the top. Or so Ive heard.

When I retire, ive considered auctioning everything off in one big auction. To be clear though, I do not have thousands of dollars worth of vintage sets. Its sad that you dont have anybody to pass them down too. If it helps, Im up for adoption. LOL Good luck however you decide to go about it. Katester has the contact info for the auction house that sold our Yankee stadium legacy set. Dave

Brian, Ive known about your awesome collection since the old Topps board days if Im not mistaken. If I remember right, you basically had a very large run of sets from the mid 50's on. If you dont want to break them up, as Bryon stated an auction house may be the way to go. Although id love to see those sets listed on ebay, an auction house may be the way to go.

One other suggestion may be one of those guys that used to advertise in Beckett. Kit Young, Mr. Mint, etc... Big enough collection and they will fly to your house. Only problem with that is, the cost of plane tickets would come out of their offer right off the top. Or so Ive heard.

When I retire, ive considered auctioning everything off in one big auction. To be clear though, I do not have thousands of dollars worth of vintage sets. Its sad that you dont have anybody to pass them down too. If it helps, Im up for adoption. LOL Good luck however you decide to go about it. Katester has the contact info for the auction house that sold our Yankee stadium legacy set. Dave
This is what I have talked to my wife about. I have said that since no one has any interest in my collection, that if something would happen to me then the family should contact Kiko Auction house in this area and auction everything off. And I mean everything. I am just hoping that other people will get the enjoyment out of my collection that I have gotten. I will never sell my cards. To me, they are priceless. My family and I understand that the price that I have spent will not be recouped. But my enjoyment from collecting and the many friends I have made here and elsewhere have been a fantastic enjoyment.