Beware of Ebay seller and fake "Promo" cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teammaddux

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Just got done with a transaction with gradedlots. Has a lot of early "Promotional Rookie" cards, which are graded by a company called PCA, and it is graded a 10. Clearly from looking at the card, first of all, its printed on an inkjet printer, with perforated sides (that aren't even decently ripped off), and PCA Grading is the guy's own company. He even just admitted in an email (through Ebay none the less) that he uses images of the cards from old, non-licensed or out of business card companies and crops them on to the picture.

For instance, the one I purchased is supposed to be a 1986 Maddux "Promotional Rookie" but has a picture from 1988 Peoria Chiefs set.

Here is a link to the auction I won.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180437126606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

He also states in his message to me that someone has purchased one of those same Madduxes and turned around and sold it for much much more. Here is a link to that auction as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greg-Maddux-Gem...ZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item48383ed1eb

He offered a refund, to which I stated that I would expect all of my money back as well as the shipping it would take for me to send it. Here is his reply:

"If you want a refund you have to send it first. If you file a complaint with ebay and Paypal they'll make you do the same and document it with tracking to prove that you sent it back as well. It's up to you, I do own PCA Grading and am not going to burn you over $5 as I'm just trying to promote a grading site with all these promotional cards. Let me know, thanks - Jay"

If you notice in his auctions he supposedly bought the items "wholesale", yet in his message he sent to me, he states:

"As I'm sure you can tell through all of my auctions all are just pictures and cards are made, I was using some of that company and others of TCMA edited of course, so not identical and didn't put either of those company names on labels to confuse buyers or to be though of as counterfeits, I admit I should discontinue those ones and focus on photos used directly from the internet."

So any advice guys? I know it's only like $5 I'm out, and I just feel he has to be breaking some sort of laws or Ebay statutes, because every single auction he currently has going has bids on it, plus he has a 99.5% approval.

Lastly, here is a link to his grading website:

http://pcagrading.com/

Gotta love a PO Box for the address in the middle of nowhere in PA (and I live in PA, so I know about middle of nowhereness :))

Last edited:
"I admit I should discontinue those ones and focus on photos used directly from the internet."

Yeah....like that legitimizes what he's doing, just swiping images from the Internet. 'Cause if it's on the 'net, it MUST be free, right?

If you can find something in eBay's rules that you can specifically report him on, go for it.

If he is making money out of an unlicensed image of a player in uniform you can go directly to the team or MLB who will fight to protect their image. This is why many Broders use airbrushing techniques to blur the logo images.

If he is making money out of an unlicensed image of a player in uniform you can go directly to the team or MLB who will fight to protect their image. This is why many Broders use airbrushing techniques to blur the logo images.

Looking at the card I have, the print-job I think did enough of a good job to take care of that, unfortunately.

Thanks, John :)

Wow, the that badly off-center Henderson RC is a 9.5, then I am holding onto a goldmine!

Tal