Box price increases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

These Prices are something else, been following 2020 Topps Gold Label I've seen prices go:

$1,085
$1,175 (locked in a case at the LCS for $1,100)
$1,3xx
as of today $1,500

And still one month away from release.

These Prices are something else, been following 2020 Topps Gold Label I've seen prices go:

$1,085
$1,175 (locked in a case at the LCS for $1,100)
$1,3xx
as of today $1,500

And still one month away from release.

Wow - at that rate you might be better off just flipping the boxes!

I really do not have much of a problem with Topps or the lower supply. The chase and search excites me. There is still plenty of Opening Day, Heritage etc out there for kids to purchase cheaply and get into the hobby.

- I don't like any other card companies...never have
- The increased companies in the 80's and early 90's ruined the hobby. I quit collecting for 10+ yrs
- Prices are going up so if your a seller your in card heaven
- I'm not even sure the late 80's had this much buzz about the hobby
- New and returning collectors are driving up prices and lowering supply...that is ECON 101
- Topps could not have predicted Covid just like everyone else who couldn't...We live in crazy times

Would I like to see customer service better? Absolutely, but who would want that job right now? Get ******* at all day for probably minimum wage??? You can sit at home and get paid more by the gov't... via my tax money.

Last edited:
I love Topps but never understood why people won't deal with unlicensed products. Some of the unlicensed products are more attractively made and have better chances of pulling autographs in my opinion....I mean what is the difference between a Topps Mike Trout auto or a Donruss unlicensed Trout auto. .......The Younger generations have lost interest because baseball is now paid Tv and getting a family into games these days is nearly impossible . In the old days I used to get into games by clipping the back of milk carton to get a free ticket in the bleachers....Unless Card companies make products that are affordable the future of the sport is in jeopardy....and not standing for the National Anthem is a disgrace...

Just for kicks, looked at 2020 Series II jumbos yesterday. They were on sale -- down to $269.99 a box from $299.99 a box. Even at $269, that is more than what I am used to paying for 2 jumbos. Looks like I will be passing on breaking wax until pricing returns to a more reasonable level. And I am okay with that - gives me a chance to keep cleaning up the stacks that I currently have!

I love Topps but never understood why people won't deal with unlicensed products. Some of the unlicensed products are more attractively made and have better chances of pulling autographs in my opinion....I mean what is the difference between a Topps Mike Trout auto or a Donruss unlicensed Trout auto. .......The Younger generations have lost interest because baseball is now paid Tv and getting a family into games these days is nearly impossible . In the old days I used to get into games by clipping the back of milk carton to get a free ticket in the bleachers....Unless Card companies make products that are affordable the future of the sport is in jeopardy....and not standing for the National Anthem is a disgrace...

Well, 2 things.

1) People don't like the lack of Logos and Team Names. I'll buy anything if it's in my price range, but I have to admit, I would rather see the Cubbies logo and name on my Bryant cards.

2) You can't get a Trout Donruss auto. They don't exist. He's exclusive to Topps.

I'm with Hoosier on the logos. I won't buy unlicensed stuff. While some of the designs are ok, the images are bland and tend to all look the same.

I really think there needs to be more competition of licensed product. Back in 2005, you had some nice designs with logos (Fleer Focus, Diamond Kings, Skybox Limited, Studio, etc. to name a few). Topps has no incentive to raise the bar when they are the only game in town.

I've been able to break a little bit by lucking into freshly stocked shelves a couple of times at stores. I haven't been able to purchase much hobby stuff because I refuse to pay the crazy prices right now.

Between Wed and TH I hit close to a dozen different retails stores across OH. Not a single pack bought. Couldn't even find Heritage any longer. Shelves were empty.

We stopped at a random grocery store (Fred Meyer) on the way home from a short trip. This store had eight retail boxes of Topps S2 packs sitting there. I grabbed one box that looked completely fresh and was happy to pay retail prices. I got one Robert rookie and even better a DeGrom autograph /25!

Boxes are over $200.00 per box...I'm not buying them...........Best regards, David

Just broke down and purchased 2 2020 Series II sets -- less than half the cost of one jumbo box. Not as much fun as busting wax, but no wasted $$$ and no additional stacks of cards laying around.

Still haven't seen a chrome or series II blaster at any of the targets or walmarts locally

Here it comes folks.......2020 Topps Chrome Black.........100 player set with all of the colored cards.......$400.00 for a box with 4 cards...one will be a refractor serial 99 or less and one will be an auto! It will take about 50 boxes to get a complete set of the base at a cost of $20,000.00. My guess is the Yankee player Jasson Domingo will be in this set!!

Look out.......chrome attack by topps........stadium club chrome and A & G Chrome.....in Nov .....just in time for christmas.....better have deep pockets.....as it will take about 4 to 5 boxes just to get a complete set...if your lucky........pretty soon only the rich will be able to afford this stuff.............if u doubt my words.....look at the topps chrome black....$400.00 a box.....for 4 cards...one auto and one gu serial to at least 99.....two base cards........the base set is 100 cards.....so you would need to buy at least 50 boxes........$20,000.00 Merry Christmas to everyone!