Boycott Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrchoholic83

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Why would they lose their license by mentioning his name? He is still part of the MLBPA which Topps has license to, and I know it's not a licensing issue (a seperate article confirmed that).

It was a conscious decision made by Topps, and one that was made in bad taste.

Topps disgusts me, almost more than A-Roid... Almost.

As long as he is banned from baseball Topps is not allowed to put him on cards - not even his name. Nothing we can do about it and no boycott is going to help. It is part of their licensing agreement.

Thanks,

Jeff

He is banned from the Hall of Fame, but he is still in good standing with the MLBPA. His name has popped up on Topps cards, 2006 for sure (reverse of Shawn Green's single). Even if the licensing were an issue, why put a blurb on the card that would leave Rose out? Why not take the high road and put a different stat there? Make no mistake, this is a malicious act by Topps.

If Pete Rose would ok the release of all the evidence from his gambling investigation to include his playing years, it would be cleared up. But Rose does not want that to happen.

He is banned from the Hall of Fame, but he is still in good standing with the MLBPA. His name has popped up on Topps cards, 2006 for sure (reverse of Shawn Green's single). Even if the licensing were an issue, why put a blurb on the card that would leave Rose out? Why not take the high road and put a different stat there? Make no mistake, this is a malicious act by Topps.

If you look hard enough, nearly ANYTHING can be a malicious act. You can find plenty of reasons to get bent out of shape about anything. What about all the records they didn't mention, isn't that a slight to those record holders? What about their flip flop on the retiring number 7? or why just Mantle's number, why not Jackie Robinson? For that matter, Upper Deck and Fleer issued tribute cards when Mike Schmidt retired in 1989 while Topps didn't, isn't that malicious as well? I could spend the rest of my life looking for reasons to be outraged about things. Quite honestly, baseball and baseball cards are something I do for fun, I won't let anyone take my enjoyment away.

How complete is your boycott? Are you refusing to trade for Topps cards? Are you going to get rid of the Topps cards already in your collection? If so, are you giving them away or throwing them out since profiting from something that disgusts you would seem to be selling out? Does it only apply to 2013 Topps products, or even just 2013 base Topps cards?

(I am asking seriously, I've known people to whom boycotting means anything remotely related to that company and others who have a lot more narrow definition)

Last edited:
After reading this article I certainly will be.

I've already sent Topps a letter letting them know that what they are doing is disgusting. They might as well be burning an American flag.

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/topps_removes_pete_rose_from_card_backs/12907165?refmod=backyard&refdst=10144&refsrc=yb_site_specific_10144

Here is a link to customer support so you can voice your opinion:

http://www.topps.com/customer-service/support

Thanks,

Jeremy

Are you comparing the removal of Roses name to burning the flag? Really?

If you look hard enough, nearly ANYTHING can be a malicious act. You can find plenty of reasons to get bent out of shape about anything. What about all the records they didn't mention, isn't that a slight to those record holders? What about their flip flop on the retiring number 7? or why just Mantle's number, why not Jackie Robinson? For that matter, Upper Deck and Fleer issued tribute cards when Mike Schmidt retired in 1989 while Topps didn't, isn't that malicious as well? I could spend the rest of my life looking for reasons to be outraged about things. Quite honestly, baseball and baseball cards are something I do for fun, I won't let anyone take my enjoyment away.

How complete is your boycott? Are you refusing to trade for Topps cards? Are you going to get rid of the Topps cards already in your collection? If so, are you giving them away or throwing them out since profiting from something that disgusts you would seem to be selling out? Does it only apply to 2013 Topps products, or even just 2013 base Topps cards?

(I am asking seriously, I've known people to whom boycotting means anything remotely related to that company and others who have a lot more narrow definition)

Actually I don't collect or trade any more at all. I've sold a large portion of my collection before I even got wind of this, which makes a boycott much easier. However if it's MLB that's swinging the ax then I have no beef with Topps, but I do have a problem with the way they said it. They could have just said "MLB made the call" and I would have been ok with that, instead they say it was a "simple decision" implying that they have a grudge against Rose, that I'm not OK with.

Accually topps is only doing what they are told to do. MLB told Topps they cannot use his name. So they didnt use it. It was not topps fault. You cannot blame topps for this.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/02/pete-roses-exclusion-in-mlb-products-is-nothing-new-and-its-mlbs-call/

If this is the case then it's MLB with whom I have the beef. Especially Selig/Giamatti, Rose should have been in the HOF yesterday but that's obvious.

Are you comparing the removal of Roses name to burning the flag? Really?

I am. Rose is an American icon.

Comparing the flag burning to the fact Pete Rose has his name left off of Topps cards is a bit of a stretch. The boycotting of Topps in this instance would also be misguided. Topps has nothing to do with this. This is a contractual issue between Topps and MLB. You want to write an angry e-mail? Write Bud Selig.

Comparing the flag burning to the fact Pete Rose has his name left off of Topps cards is a bit of a stretch. The boycotting of Topps in this instance would also be misguided. Topps has nothing to do with this. This is a contractual issue between Topps and MLB. You want to write an angry e-mail? Write Bud Selig.

More than a bit of a stretch I say. And I am not sure I would refer to Rose as an "American icon" either. Not now anyway.

Thanks,

Jeff

Actually I don't collect or trade any more at all. I've sold a large portion of my collection before I even got wind of this, which makes a boycott much easier. However if it's MLB that's swinging the ax then I have no beef with Topps, but I do have a problem with the way they said it. They could have just said "MLB made the call" and I would have been ok with that, instead they say it was a "simple decision" implying that they have a grudge against Rose, that I'm not OK with.

If this is the case then it's MLB with whom I have the beef. Especially Selig/Giamatti, Rose should have been in the HOF yesterday but that's obvious.

I am. Rose is an American icon.

I agree with you 100% that Rose should be in the hall. But, he broke the rules. Then lied about it. The biggest rule of ALL time in baseball is you don't bet on it. just look at shoeless Joe. Like I said Rose belongs in the Hall but he did break the biggest rule of baseball. he made his bed and now has to lay in it.

And no Rose is not an American Icon

So you went from sending them a letter comparing them to flag burners and encouraging people to boycott them to potentially having no beef with them other than not being clear enough for you in the span of a handful of posts?

So you went from sending them a letter comparing them to flag burners and encouraging people to boycott them to potentially having no beef with them other than not being clear enough for you in the span of a handful of posts?

I'm waiting for the "Boycott baseball" post.

I'm waiting for the "Boycott baseball" post.

Rose is an American Icon, that's my opinion and a lot of people share it.

Not having him in the Hall of Fame makes Bud Selig as good as a flag burner.

Not sure why Valediction and BoomerSooner decided to gang up on me, but I maintain my stance. Flag burning may not be as offensive to me as the next guy but it's a despicable thing and I knew it would grab your attention.

And no, I'm not going to boycott baseball, but I will say it's losing traction with it's fanbase by implementing more instant replay and allowing people like A-Roid to continue to taint it's image.

More than a bit of a stretch I say. And I am not sure I would refer to Rose as an "American icon" either. Not now anyway.

Thanks,

Jeff

George Washington is an American icon. Abraham Lincoln is an American Icon. Neil Armstrong is an American Icon. Pete Rose is NOT an American Icon. He was one hell of a ball player. I even have a wall in my mancave dedicated to his baseball career. As a human being, I get the impression he is a degenerate gambler and a dirt bag. Not someone I would want my children emulating, and most certainly not an American Icon. Icon of Baseball, I would agree with.

George Washington is an American icon. Abraham Lincoln is an American Icon. Neil Armstrong is an American Icon. Pete Rose is NOT an American Icon. He was one hell of a ball player. I even have a wall in my mancave dedicated to his baseball career. As a human being, I get the impression he is a degenerate gambler and a dirt bag. Not someone I would want my children emulating, and most certainly not an American Icon. Icon of Baseball, I would agree with.

I can definitely see where your coming from, point taken. Personally I thought he was one of the greatest if not THE greatest player to play the game. I like his attitude outside of baseball, he is an outsider, I can respect that.

I can definitely see where your coming from, point taken. Personally I thought he was one of the greatest if not THE greatest player to play the game. I like his attitude outside of baseball, he is an outsider, I can respect that.

Ok ok ok ok... now I have to step up.... The greatest player to ever play the game? Sorry no. IMO there really is no greatest player. Rose I would say is "One" of the best to play but not the greatest. DiMaggio I believe would top Rose. Ruth and many more. Would Rose be in the top 10 best ball players? no. maybe top 20 (pushing it). Rose was a great player. I saw him play many times even in the 1980 world series. His busted butt all the time but the best... Sorry no...But noone is the greatest ball player.

Status
Not open for further replies.