BSL Contraction Draft Order and Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

This is why its called a lottery... the person who plays a dollar a week thier entire life never sees a dime, but the knucklehead who finds a dollar plays and wins a million dollars. Not saying you're a knucklehead Kendall ;)

I have been called worst things!!!! Hahahaha... My wife called me a nerd, because I was jumping around last night after I saw that I got the #1 pick... LOL!!!

Then again... I have done some knucklehead things like trade away 2 good SP before the start of a season and struggle all year. But that is what keeps the game fun.. As far as my farm system goes, I do not rush my prospects up to MLB or spend a lot of money on player development($500k)... My secret is putting a winning team on the field at every level... It has worked for me. So if I trade away a 5 star, extremely popular MLB player for a couple good prospects to build up my farm system. It has a purpose for me and I help another team out that may not have been able to get a player of that caliber.
I openly trade with every team in the league and even send offers to team that won't trade with me for some silly reason.. Just putting it out there, I love this league and the owners that I play with.. Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited:
With no disrespect to the process...this worked out well?!?!?!

If it weren't for bad luck...there would be no luck at all.

I don't understand the outrage some seem to have. It was all done in a fair manner, believe me I would have loved Martinez & or Anderson or Ross but the changes where thought out and the drawing was fair believe me broke my heart seeing some of the teams not get good picks and others getting lucky but it was done with integrity. All I can say is everyone doesn't like change but you have to adapt and try to make it work all I ask is for everyone to please give this a shot and not freak out. The last thing we need is to lose more owners. If that happens I believe the show maybe over so please take it as a challenge if nothing else. Look at my team I had a 30 mil payroll couple seasons ago and slowly am creeping up to hopefully 60 + mil budget. It may seem small but the little accomplishments make me happy doesn't have to be the WS title every year

I would like to apologize to any and all that feel this was done against other ideas that were floated. Nick and i had to make some tough decisions that will never please everyone. Please give this a chance. Odds are, in a sim year, most teams will forget we even had a contraction and dispersal

If i had to do it over, i would have made 3 tiers, guaranteeing the top ticket teams were in the top 10 picks. Hindsight is 20/20. Not the first nor the last mistake i will make.

Nick and i appreciate all the feedback no matter the issue and it is all considered. Without the owners there is no bsl

This is the way the NBA does it-What was it in 92 or 93 when the Magic finished i think with a winning record had like snow ball chance in heck to get the overall first pick and what happened the Magic landed the first pick and selected Shaq with the 1st overall pick-It's called the luck of the draw.

Last edited:
Oakland doesn't care, just as long as we beat San Fran in the World Series this year. I was lucky like Toronto, but not as lucky. I landed #11, but short of maybe the top 4 or so, the rest isn't a whole lot better maybe than just signing free agents. So in my opinion, yeah, Toronto mopped up (Merry Christmas) and beat the odds. Oh well, it happens. But for a few of the other teams, they could use the help maybe. And with them getting the help and becoming more competetive, maybe the luster won't wear off as quickly.

One other option might have been to release them all to the free agent pool, but then it would just be the rich getting richer by spending their money. So, short of doing a draft by record only, I think this works. I, like many others I bet, would have liked it a whole lot more had I gotten 1 or 2. I just think Kendall beat the odds, and congrats to him. Makes the road to the AL Championship a lot harder for the AL teams, especially given that Toronto is competitive most of the time. At least the top two picks didn't go to just 1 league. Just looks like the Stros pitcher is coming to the AL, while the Angels pitcher is going to the NL.

Also, I would like to say welcome to the DBacks to AL West. I am kinda glad you volunteered. Not because of your record last season, but as I have stated before, I am an old timer when it comes to the history of the game. I didn't want to see the Dodgers, Giants or Padres leave the NL West. I hate losing the storied franchise of the Angels, but so be it. Maybe the DBacks want to change their identity to the Angels!!!! I can live with contraction of the Astros and DBacks.

GO OAKLAND!!!!!!

Hopefully my comment wasn't taken as complaining - tough to convey sarcasm in the printed word.

It has to be tough to keep 30 "owners" happy and no decision will satisfy every one every time. Like most, I have an opinion that I am not afraid to state. Sometimes I am right, sometimes I am not. The sun will always rise in the morning (hopefully!).

Not sure where you are at exactly, but I know in Nick's case, he really needs the sun to shine. I think the last I heard from him was something like 30 inches of snow (WHAT??????). Maybe some of that sunshine will help melt some of that snow.
Hopefully my comment wasn't taken as complaining - tough to convey sarcasm in the printed word.

It has to be tough to keep 30 "owners" happy and no decision will satisfy every one every time. Like most, I have an opinion that I am not afraid to state. Sometimes I am right, sometimes I am not. The sun will always rise in the morning (hopefully!).

This is the way the NBA does it-What was it in 92 or 93 when the Magic finished i think with a winning record had like snow ball chance in heck to get the overall first pick and what happened the Magic landed the first pick and selected Shaq with the 1st overall pick-It's called the luck of the draw.

True but if I am not mistaken playoff teams are not included in the lottery.

I was actually happy with where I landed. Until I thought about the fact that you have a team in the World Series and that won it last year #11. Although my record doesn't reflect it I am a year away from making the WS at #7, A team that has only finished under .500 one time at #5. But a team that has lost 90+ for three straight years at #16. Where in the universe is this fair?

Last edited:
Not that it may matter since the Tigers are drafting low but I will not be taking any picks in the contraction draft. I have a nice payroll and decent minor league system so maybe some other low payroll team can have an extra shot at a player.

Honestly guys, outside of maybe 4 players, there is just as good going to be out there as free agents. Yes, you might have to bid on them, but still, I don't see the huge to do. And believe me, as most of you know, I am always in an uproar if I feel there is some bias. But outside of Augusto Martinez, Gilberto Gonzalez, Dan Reed, Matt Anderson, and possibly Connor Gillespie, there isn't much. Maybe a few prospects, but that is about it. Everything else is just filler for even most teams. So other than Toronto and San Deigo, you have Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia all getting a shot at improving. But honestly, does this 1 player make those teams head and shoulders above everyone else? If anything, the two big winners in this to me are Toronto (thats a given) and David, going from Anaheim to Boston. But also for David, he will lose Matt Anderson. But still, I understand some feeling shunned or maybe there would have been a better way, but really, I don't know that there was. Because then, you would have a different set of owners upset.

Maybe I am completely missing something, but to be honest, I don't want the BSL to fold. I did that once, and hated it. That is why I didn't rejoin until this late in the game. Didn't like a lot of the stuff back then, and when I felt I had made a team to my liking, it was shut down. Guys and gals, please, in the BSL 1.0, I LOST over 100 games in my 1st season. And I won it all the following year. It just takes the right chemistry and the right vision. Owners cannot just live in the know, and Heath will attest to this, I am always talking about how a player he wants fits into my FUTURE plans. But again, I am one of the owners that others complained about that puts in a lot of time, but I get a lot of enjoyment from the game.

But this game is a game, it isn't a science. Injuries happen, ratings decrease, and players just don't perform. What has helped me has been being able to replace injured players from my minor league sysytem, and really, not having a ton of injuries. I know Cory has made mention of it, and I know I get blamed for targeting them, but prospects are the key to winning. They offer you a low priced talented player that you can build around. Too many teams buy players, only to have them underperform, and thus sell them off. And wether there is anything to it or not, I am not sure, but I don't make a ton of MLB moves. I think it works for me, but Heath has shown it doesn't really matter.

But all in all, let's have fun. I don't think this is a big deal, but that is me. I have blown my stack on other things that other owners didn't think was a big deal. But I don't think the amount of players and where they are going is a huge difference maker, other than San Diego and Toronto. So we have one in the AL and one in the NL getting better. I am sure that the rest of the AL East isn't happy to hear that Toronto got the pick, but also bet Steph, Todd, and the Rays are looking forward to the chance to keep Toronto from winning the division regardless. And David with taking over the Red Sox will be eager to not be the whipping boy of the AL East (as he has been in the AL West. lol - had to take that jab).

That is just plain crazy. I had 45 tickets and am fifth from last. Everyone who had more tickets is in the top ten except Min who is at 16. Oh well, it is just a game. Looks like I will have to rely on the FA market and hopes that many of the other teams don't want anyone at all to get someone half way decent.

In the big scheme of things this doesn't matter - the draft order that is. I appreciate the efforts that the league managers have taken to make it happen. It seems to be a fair process regardless of the result, unlike when our trades were blocked in the BSL 1.0 which truly rubbed me the wrong way. If two owners think a player or a deal is right for their clubs so be it. I am still against any trade blocking (not that I do that much trading myself) and would be the first to leave if that happened again.

As many of you may have noticed, I am not as active as I used to be in the original go around. Back then I did not have two kids and working on a masters degree in addition to a full-time job. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the league. It just means I have less time than Tony or other owners who fully leverage all aspects of the game. And while I wish I had a top-tier farm system, a larger budget, and a MLB team with a better chance of winning "this year" as opposed to working on the future it is okay with me. I like the challenge and not getting a great player in this draft won't kill my team. If anything I may get an unwanted player who turns out to be the next Mike Piazza by some stroke of luck.

To be honest i wouldn't mind trading my #4 pick because i don't know if i will be able to sign him financially

Of course were probably not able to trade the draft picks...but if we were i would trade the pick probably for another pick
and some prospects and such and it wouldn't be hard to change the draft order just my thoughts

Best,
David
GM-Boston

Thanks. I see 2 guys I actually would want and I don't think they will be really sought after.

Dennis

To be honest i wouldn't mind trading my #4 pick because i don't know if i will be able to sign him financially

Of course were probably not able to trade the draft picks...but if we were i would trade the pick probably for another pick
and some prospects and such and it wouldn't be hard to change the draft order just my thoughts

Best,
David
GM-Boston

I'll trade with you! :)

Best,
David
GM-Boston

There will be no trading of draft picks, just like any other draft. If you can't afford a contract, draft one of the prospects from the teams that go into your minors!

Who all will be eligible in the draft? Is this players from the Angels and Astros?

Dennis

Yes, with some exceptions. I will post the specific draft list closer to the draft taking place.