BSL Rule 5 Draft - something to start thinking about...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
This is straight from the manual. I will respond to this thread later with my take on what to do to prepare and lookout for. This will be a new feature for ALL of us this time around.

The Rule 5 draft was designed to prevent teams from stockpiling young players in their minors, when other teams would be willing to let them play in the major leagues. The draft typically takes place after the end of the season. There are a number of rules about which players are eligible for the Rule 5 draft described below. OOTP's implementation of the Rule 5 draft does not match the real-world version of the draft in every way. Here are the ways in which the OOTP Rule 5 differs from the real world:

In the real world, teams pay a fee for selecting a player. This fee does not exist in OOTP.
In the real world, a minor league phase of the Rule 5 exits. It does not exist in OOTP.
In the real world, there are rules under which players selected in the Rule 5 draft are offered back to their original teams. In OOTP, Rule 5 draft picks are never offered back to their original franchise. You simply have to obey the roster rules defined below.

Rule 5 Draft Roster Rules
There are a number of roster rules relating to Rule 5 drafts:

A team that wants to select a player in the Rule 5 draft must have at least one spot open on its secondary roster.
A player selected in the Rule 5 draft must remain on the selecting team's active roster or disabled list for the entire season.
A player who was drafted in the Rule 5 draft can be waived. If he is claimed, then the player must remain on the claiming team's active roster for the remainder of the season.
A player selected in the Rule 5 draft can be traded. The team that receives the player must keep the player on its active roster for the remainder of the season.
A player selected in the Rule 5 draft must spend 90 days on the active roster. This rule prevents teams from picking players and then dumping them on the disabled list for an entire season to avoid using an active roster spot. This rule can extend into the following season if necessary.

Rule 5 Draft Eligibility
A player is eligible for the Rule 5 draft if he meets the conditions listed below. Follow the links to learn more about some of the terms used below:

The player has at least three but fewer than six years of professional service time, and the player was age 19 or older when he first signed a contract.
The player is not on the team's secondary roster.

Note: Players who were age 18 or younger when they entered the league are eligible if they have at least four, but fewer than seven years of professional service time. In other words, young players get an extra year before they become eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

Another way of looking at this rule is this:

A player not on a team's secondary roster is eligible for the Rule 5 draft if the player was age 18 or younger when he first signed a contract and this is the fourth Rule 5 draft since he signed, OR if he was age 19 or older when he first signed a contract and this is the third Rule 5 draft since he signed.

It is highly recommended that every owner at this point go through their minors in-game. Any player with a pound (#) sign after their name is Rule 5 eligible following this season (the draft is in December).

Any player in your minors with that symbol that you want to protect from other teams needs to be added to your 40-man roster. DO NOT ADD THEM TO YOUR ACTIVE ROSTER, but just drag them to the 40-man roster. Keep in mind, once they are there, they have to clear waivers to be released, but will not received major league contracts unless they are on the ACTIVE roster.

Any players remaining unprotected will be eligible for Rule 5 draft selection.

Any team wanting to select a Rule 5 pick (s) needs to have that many empty spots on their 40 man roster. Keep in mind EACH RULE 5 PICK MUST STAY ON YOUR ACTIVE roster or DISABLED LIST for the ENTIRE next season. They CANNOT go the minor leagues!

It is highly recommended that every owner at this point go through their minors in-game. Any player with a pound (#) sign after their name is Rule 5 eligible following this season (the draft is in December).

Any player in your minors with that symbol that you want to protect from other teams needs to be added to your 40-man roster. DO NOT ADD THEM TO YOUR ACTIVE ROSTER, but just drag them to the 40-man roster. Keep in mind, once they are there, they have to clear waivers to be released, but will not received major league contracts unless they are on the ACTIVE roster.

Any players remaining unprotected will be eligible for Rule 5 draft selection.

Any team wanting to select a Rule 5 pick (s) needs to have that many empty spots on their 40 man roster. Keep in mind EACH RULE 5 PICK MUST STAY ON YOUR ACTIVE roster or DISABLED LIST for the ENTIRE next season. They CANNOT go the minor leagues!

Bump for one last chance to protect before the draft Sunday!

how do we find rule-5 players available from other teams on the bsl game? i cannot figure out how to find who is eligible and who is not! help!

how do we find rule-5 players available from other teams on the bsl game? i cannot figure out how to find who is eligible and who is not! help!

I have the same exact question thanks!

When Nick sims up to the Rule 5 date today, the game will generate a draft pool of the available players.

Please, please keep in mind the rules that are involved carrying a Rule 5 pick as outlined in the top post. They have to stay on your active roster ALL season.

When Nick sims up to the Rule 5 date today, the game will generate a draft pool of the available players.

Please, please keep in mind the rules that are involved carrying a Rule 5 pick as outlined in the top post. They have to stay on your active roster ALL season.

So we technically do not have to draft a Rule 5 player. But if we do draft one he HAS to remain on the 25 man roster for the entire season?

Yeah, any and all teans can skip the draft...it happens every year. You also can pick one round and skip the rest, etc

can we submit a list for this draft? going to Van Halen concert tonight, the old man needs to get his rock on

can we submit a list for this draft? going to Van Halen concert tonight, the old man needs to get his rock on

I'm wondering the same thing as I may have some last minute plans this evening. If I miss it oh well, not a big deal as I have the 21st pick and my pick may be gone by then.

Steph

That made me laugh - I was in high school when Diver Down came out - don't trip over any of your fellow concert goers canes!

Todd