BSL Rule Change: Sign & Trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Effective immediately.

Fiscal season runs last day of world series to same day the following year.

Due to the massive amount of unrealistic sign and trades in the league, the following is set forth.

Any player signed to an extension may not be traded in the same fiscal year the extension is signed without accuring a cash penalty to the trading team. The league will confiscate 50% of the first year of the extension in penalty cash when the trade is processed. This only applies to the team that made the extension offer. The penalty is not assessed to further trades.

Example. David price signs 19il x 4 w tex traded to mariners. Texas would may 9.x in penalties

Effective for trades posted after this post.

I personally don't see a problem in it I guess. My big thing is when you trade for someone, and the other owner fails to tell you that they made an offer to that guy, and then you get him and he isn't really what you thought he would be. I haven't been around long, so I don't know the history. Has there been a rash of problems? I mean, I have noticed some owners who do immediately sign an acquired player to an extension, which for the most part makes him less "valuable" sometimes in trades. Since he is signed long term for what seems to be big money.

Just my thoughts, but again, I haven't been around long, so don't know how big of an issue this is. Although, I will say, was looking to see what would happen with David Price going forward this season as a free agent.

Effective immediately.

Fiscal season runs last day of world series to same day the following year.

Due to the massive amount of unrealistic sign and trades in the league, the following is set forth.

Any player signed to an extension may not be traded in the same fiscal year the extension is signed without accuring a cash penalty to the trading team. The league will confiscate 50% of the first year of the extension in penalty cash when the trade is processed. This only applies to the team that made the extension offer. The penalty is not assessed to further trades.

Example. David price signs 19il x 4 w tex traded to mariners. Texas would may 9.x in penalties

Effective for trades posted after this post.

Cory, just to be clear, say I signed Guillermo Torres to an extension at the end of this season, and say before the trade deadline next July I want to trade him I would be fined half of his first year salary? Just want to be clear. Any player we sign to an extension may not be traded for a season without a financial penalty? Thanks Pat

Im on phone so bear w me.

It is outrageously unrealistic to sign a player to an extension and trade gim in the same year. I cant even think of an example. Keep in mind this does not include free agents signing in the offseason.

There have been a lot of examples of this over the years. It also is a large reason why the fa classes suffer top players as well. Not to mention every player has a different price for each team, and sign trade works around this

Pat - any player signed extension from this coming sim to end of the ws may not be traded before end of ws without penalty. The penalty is half of the first year of the extension, not half of the total contract

Examples

Extension signed now, penalty until after ws this year
Extension signed after next ws, penalty until following ws

Penalty Only effective the fiscal year the extension is signed

OK. I do have another question though......what about guys who are due arbitration? Say we "buy out" their arbitration by giving them a contract, does that count as well? Like say Carlos Ayala for me - say I buy out his arbitration numbers, and give him a contract for say $10M. He was already under contract so to say, I just locked it down on what that number is. But, at the trade deadline, someone makes me an offer I cannot refuse for Ayala, do I have to pay a penalty?

Also, say a player such as Chris Capuano, who I am looking to trade if I get something that works. I have already checked just to see about an extension, and he is willing to talk extension, even though he is signed this year and has an option for 2015. But I clicked the negotiate extension just to see, and he wants to sign for 2016 & 2017, and wants to sign for less than $2M for each season. If I do that, and at the trade deadline, move him, does any of that count against me?

Another scenario that I have thought about is that if I sign CL Jiang to an extension, I hope that it will increase my fan interst prior to the start of the season. From what I read, that should/could help my fan interest if I sign Well Known / Popular / and Extremely Popular players to extensions. But say by the trade deadline, I am out of it, and move him, in this scenario, I will have to pay money. I know my fan interest will take a hit as well, but I will also take a financial hit. But I am over budget now, so the more I can increase my fan interest prior to the season, hopefully the more revenue I can generate. ( I know this is a bit different than say the Rangers with Price, given his fan interset went up by getting him, and then probably went up by signing him to an extension, but it should drop drastically to the news that they traded him).

I know I am bringing up some odd scenarios, but if it is addressed here now, there won't be any loopholes in the future. Thanks, Tony.

Tony. I can go more into detail later but...

1. Yes, arb buyout count and will be penalized

2. Any extension involves new guaranteed money, in you capuano example and extension essentially picking up option and adding two years, so trading would be penalized half of the option, which is the first guaranteed new money

3. Given he is under control this year without an extension, by extending him, you would be penalized. If you plan on trading, dont extend. You can earn popularity by extending him, but it would crash if you traded with either way

Tony. I can go more into detail later but...

1. Yes, arb buyout count and will be penalized

2. Any extension involves new guaranteed money, in you capuano example and extension essentially picking up option and adding two years, so trading would be penalized half of the option, which is the first guaranteed new money

3. Given he is under control this year without an extension, by extending him, you would be penalized. If you plan on trading, dont extend. You can earn popularity by extending him, but it would crash if you traded with either way

Blue Jays have read and understand, but will probably forget later.. LOL!!!

Just have to remember that if you extend a players contract, that he can not be traded until after the World Series or the following season..

I don't think the following season is a problem. Just if you sign them this year, you cannot traded them until AFTER the World Series.
Blue Jays have read and understand, but will probably forget later.. LOL!!!

Just have to remember that if you extend a players contract, that he can not be traded until after the World Series or the following season..

LAA read and somewhat understands

I traded for Michael Browning he was in the last year of his contract Cardinals didn't offer him an extension i offered him an extension but he choose FA instead and i lost David Hess in the process but i guess there is nothing that can be done?

Last edited:
LAA read and somewhat understands

I traded for Michael Browning he was in the last year of his contract Cardinals didn't offer him an extension i offered him an extension but he choose FA instead and i lost David Hess in the process but i guess there is nothing that can be done?

That is the risk involved with pending free agents. If they are greedy or dont like the team they are very unlikely to extend. Judging by his fa asking price, he is full of himself.

Moral of the story, think twice before every trade AND every extension

That is the risk involved with pending free agents. If they are greedy or dont like the team they are very unlikely to extend. Judging by his fa asking price, he is full of himself.

Moral of the story, think twice before every trade AND every extension

I offered what i believed to be a rather nice offer he refused so be it and choose not to sign oh well i got over it and your right he is full of himself

Since we are talking about half the first years salary can we make it through the All-Star break of the first year of the actual extension instead? By then the team will have paid the half of the first year's salary and should still accomplish what you are looking to do. If a team resigns some one and half way through the next season he gets into financial trouble and has to start moving salary at least he won't be hit as hard, other wise this will just end up separating the small and large market teams even further. Just my 2 cents

Couple of suggestions:

1) Don't include all sign and trade cases. Set limits such as any player signed to an average salary of 3mil or over, and/or to any contract with a length of 4 years or more.

or

2) Have the trade review board review each sign and trade transaction to determine whether the penalty should be accessed.

The inflexibility of the original rule can cause unnecessary hardship on owners, especially those in a pennant race, that face injuries during the season.

Personally, I favor the first suggestion over the other. The numbers used were just for example, and could be tweaked to a more suitable standard.

---Frank

Since we are talking about half the first years salary can we make it through the All-Star break of the first year of the actual extension instead? By then the team will have paid the half of the first year's salary and should still accomplish what you are looking to do. If a team resigns some one and half way through the next season he gets into financial trouble and has to start moving salary at least he won't be hit as hard, other wise this will just end up separating the small and large market teams even further. Just my 2 cents

Most likely if you are having financial problems, you would not be able to sign the player to an extension.. Your Owner would reject it.. This rule will just deter large market teams from signing players to big money contract and then trade them off to other teams.. It is a domino effect like Cory said... Large market team signs the big contract trades them to a small market team and then that team could fall into financial trouble if attendance fall or injuries happen.. Teams just need to understand that if you like a player enough to extend their contract, then you are serious enough to keep him.. Period..

I think that's what he's trying to avoid. If you are signing a player to an extension that could significantly hurt a team in half a season, then they probably shouldn't be getting that extension in the first place. I look through the transactions and signings trying to get ideas for things I might be able to do better, to see what seems to be working and what isn't, and I see so many contracts and extensions that just don't make sense. One dimensional players signed to huge contracts, middle relievers getting 8-12 million a year, 35 year old players getting 4-8 year deals. It just seems like too many teams sign first and think later. Ask questions, look at what teams that are succeeding are doing, get advice. James wrote a few pieces when the BSL 2.0 started that had some great advice and a couple key points, if anyone hasn't read them, I STRONGLY encourage you to do so
here is one Guys like him (or Cory, or Nick, or others) are a great source of information and advice. I have a lot of work ahead of me and some big holes to fill roster wise, but with some sound advice and a strategy in place, it should start progressing.

Here's another piece from James

and a third