BSL Update 1/12/11 - the historic 1st game is complete!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
In some divisional play to kick off the inaugural season of the BSL, Johan Santana and the White Sox defended their home field in a 4-3 victory over Jake Westbrook and the Cleveland Indians. It was a close-fought game with Cleveland making a final (yet just-not-enough) push in the 9th inning. Santana struck out 10 giving up 2 earned runs in 7 2/3 innings. Catcher AJ Pierzynski garnered most of the offense for the White Sox, going 3-4 and knocking in 3 RBI.

The entire first 14 days will be on the way to upload shortly. Any players listed on free agency are available to be signed by any team (first come, first served, however you can offer higher contracts in case the first team is rejected!)

Waivers are also live and fully functioning. Any player listed is able to be claimed by any team.

As per the league calendar (visit the sticky in this forum) the next sim is Friday or Saturday (depending on my schedule). The deadline is 5pm cst Friday for trades/rosters moves,etc.

Cory

Notables:

04-05-2006 Scott Rolen 3 Home Runs, 4 for 4, 6 RBI versus Toronto while playing for Minnesota
04-06-2006 Carlos Lee 3 Home Runs, 4 for 5, 5 RBI versus Tampa Bay while playing for Baltimore
04-13-2006 Jim Edmonds 1000 Runs Batted In, while playing for Chicago
04-13-2006 Mike Piazza 400 Home Runs, while playing for Detroit

Last edited:
My first round pick (McCann) already got hurt, but his backup is hitting .545 so far! Nats are getting off to a good start, hope they can keep it going!

I was decimated by injury this sim...a 3-month, 10 month, and 1 mon injury all to key players.

The first season will be tough of a lot of owners just as they get the hang of what needs to be done and how the ratings/talent system applies to production, etc. Once people realize to break away what they know about the players in real-life, it helps a lot. There are some really big-name players that, for lack of better term, suck on this game.

As such, a LOT of teams went young, and a LOT of teams have players in the majors that probably should be in the minors still developing. Everyone will learn things along the way. The first year's amateur draft and the first offseason free agency will be the real 'impact' moments on everyone's franchise.

I have counted "3" trades I consider to be franchise impacting. The others have pretty much been just swapping names, positions, etc. The other 3 stand out as big momentum swings in the league.

The first season will be tough of a lot of owners just as they get the hang of what needs to be done and how the ratings/talent system applies to production, etc. Once people realize to break away what they know about the players in real-life, it helps a lot. There are some really big-name players that, for lack of better term, suck on this game.

As such, a LOT of teams went young, and a LOT of teams have players in the majors that probably should be in the minors still developing. Everyone will learn things along the way. The first year's amateur draft and the first offseason free agency will be the real 'impact' moments on everyone's franchise.

I have counted "3" trades I consider to be franchise impacting. The others have pretty much been just swapping names, positions, etc. The other 3 stand out as big momentum swings in the league.

Any hints to share with us from a "Vet"?

Any hints to share with us from a "Vet"?

It's primarily a function of looking at the player's 'actual' ratings, then comparing those to their 'talent' ratings. The younger players with high talent ratings usually have a higher ceiling (however they may never make it to that level). Also comparing age, salary flexibility (pre-arb, arb eligible, free agent eligible, etc) is very important in the long term (no so much for in the now).

Never ignore fielding and speed. Defense can win you championships. Quality starting pitching, like in real life, should be held dearly.

Don't be afraid to shop players around. Don't be afraid to ask for the extra prospect (or two) to make a deal work. As players start developing stat lines, they will become more in demand. Use this to your team's advantage.

Don't count yourself out on someone if you see another team talking to the team about that player. PM the owner with a more impressive offer.

Competition breeds a better gain in the trade market.

Above all else, never sell out your team for a short term gain unless you are going to go somewhere right now with it (like the Brewers sold out for Sabathia a few years ago).

Don't throw in the towel in April.

Thanks for the advise. Now I'm starting to get the idea.
Just like life though, I made a couple of major mistakes before the lesson was learned (see A. Miller and K. Farnsworth trades). Was looking more at "real-life" rather than this game.

Hopefully I will get better from here forward.
Now if I can just put it to good use.
Thanks again for the advise.

It's primarily a function of looking at the player's 'actual' ratings, then comparing those to their 'talent' ratings. The younger players with high talent ratings usually have a higher ceiling (however they may never make it to that level). Also comparing age, salary flexibility (pre-arb, arb eligible, free agent eligible, etc) is very important in the long term (no so much for in the now).

Using Rocco Baldelli as an example:

The overall ratings are 1-100, correct? And talent is 1-20?

His Gap Overall is 75, and his Gap Talent is 15, so that makes it seem like he is at his best possible right now. His Contact Overall is 61, yet his Contact Talent is 10, so that makes it seem like he's performing better than his ceiling (10 is half of 20, but 61 is more than half of 100). Yet his Power seems like it could improve (59 Overall, but 13 Talent). Am I understanding the ratings right?

Angels went 7-4 (1st) in what looks like to be a tough division.

...And a note to everyone..no matter what your team is doing try
and stick it out to the end..remember were all still learning this
game.

Using Rocco Baldelli as an example:

The overall ratings are 1-100, correct? And talent is 1-20?

His Gap Overall is 75, and his Gap Talent is 15, so that makes it seem like he is at his best possible right now. His Contact Overall is 61, yet his Contact Talent is 10, so that makes it seem like he's performing better than his ceiling (10 is half of 20, but 61 is more than half of 100). Yet his Power seems like it could improve (59 Overall, but 13 Talent). Am I understanding the ratings right?

Yes...I am on cell so I can go into more depth later but that is the general jist of things....remember potential ratings can rise abd fall as well over time. Players can play abovetheir talent ceilings as showcased above...baldellis real weakness is his eye/k ratings...he is a free swinger for sure. Pitchers are much more difficult to figure out as they have generalized rattins, different pitches, etc.

The talent ratings were set on a scale of twenty to keep more of a (general) factor whereas the actual ratings are what you see on the field.

downloaded the free 08 version of the sim... getting ready for when my name gets called off the waitlist!! :)