BSL Update: 2018 #9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slavlite

MVP
5.00 star(s)
League file will be ready for all witrhin 15 minutes of this post

Website will be updated

export deadline is Wednesday at 9:00 PM central time

Not sure if it's just me, but I got an error message when trying to download the file. I'll try the old reboot and give it another shot.

Eric

***UPDATE***

Issue resolved. That reboot trick never fails!

Reds had a good SIM at 8-4, but couldn't make up any ground in the division. Still looking to make a trade deadline deal (or two).

Last edited:
Cards lost some ground but have a series next sim with the Buccos gonna try to get back to the top. Exciting race in Central right now

2-8 over the last ten games did not win over the owner's affection. We did have two All-Stars and the fan interest hasn't plummeted yet....although it is not that high to begin with. We need pitching!!!!!

Exported

Yankees have exported. Dropping 3 out of 4 to the Jays didn't help me in the AL East race this sim, but still thrilled to be hanging in there. Rotation has pitched way beyond expectations and have kept me in the race. Looking to make a few minor tweaks to make a final playoff push before the deadline.

Arizona exported. Keep getting PM's that my players want traded because we stink. Can't sign my young stars on offense to long term deals. They only want to sign a one year deal.

Arizona exported. Keep getting PM's that my players want traded because we stink. Can't sign my young stars on offense to long term deals. They only want to sign a one year deal.

Just offer them a contract with more than 1 year and see what happens. My SP Anderson only asked for 1 yr. but accepted a 3 yr. deal for less money total than he asked for the 1 yr.

If they are under team control (pre free agency, 2-3 auto-renew years, then 3-4 arb years) don't even worry about it.

If a player will be a free agent next year, then worry about it. Sure, you can save some money in given situations, but often it's better just to let the autorenew and arbitration hearings take place, and right before their 6 accrued MLB seasons are up, make a decision to extend and/or trade - let walk to fa.

There are way too many bad extensions out there that could have been avoided by just letting the players autorenew or go to arb.

If a player is in the MLB for 1 year, he is guaranteed to autorenew at 432k for at least 1, more than likely 2 more years. Assume he is a super two and only autorenews in year 1 and 2, which means years 3-4-5-6 are arbitration.

Many guys call a player up, they auto renew once, then they sign them to a 4-5 year deal with giant money (say 5 million a year).

so instead of a salary structure of 432/432/2/4/6/9, they end up paying 432/5/5/5/5/5

Instead of 21.864 milllion, they end up paying 25.432 million, which is 3.568 million more than they would have had to.

There are MUCH worse examples than this, I just made up numbers.

Lastly, it does work in certain scenarios. See Oakland's SP Aaron Martin or RF Frank Bowers. They are cost controlled at WAY under market value for many years.

Marlins still a top the NLE... this 2018 team is by far the best all around team we've put on the field to date! We are in the top five in every category except HR in batting (7th) and interestingly enough HR allowed in pitching (6th).

Just offer them a contract with more than 1 year and see what happens. My SP Anderson only asked for 1 yr. but accepted a 3 yr. deal for less money total than he asked for the 1 yr.

They wanted a one year deal. I offered them a seven year deal and they came back with only wanting a one year deal again at a lower rate of pay. I think since our team is struggling so bad, they don't want to sign a long term deal.

If they are under team control (pre free agency, 2-3 auto-renew years, then 3-4 arb years) don't even worry about it.

If a player will be a free agent next year, then worry about it. Sure, you can save some money in given situations, but often it's better just to let the autorenew and arbitration hearings take place, and right before their 6 accrued MLB seasons are up, make a decision to extend and/or trade - let walk to fa.

There are way too many bad extensions out there that could have been avoided by just letting the players autorenew or go to arb.

If a player is in the MLB for 1 year, he is guaranteed to autorenew at 432k for at least 1, more than likely 2 more years. Assume he is a super two and only autorenews in year 1 and 2, which means years 3-4-5-6 are arbitration.

Many guys call a player up, they auto renew once, then they sign them to a 4-5 year deal with giant money (say 5 million a year).

so instead of a salary structure of 432/432/2/4/6/9, they end up paying 432/5/5/5/5/5

Instead of 21.864 milllion, they end up paying 25.432 million, which is 3.568 million more than they would have had to.

There are MUCH worse examples than this, I just made up numbers.

Lastly, it does work in certain scenarios. See Oakland's SP Aaron Martin or RF Frank Bowers. They are cost controlled at WAY under market value for many years.

Thanks Cory.

The main guy I wanted to sign is going to Arb next year and it is $6 million. He is 25 and I would like to lock him up for seven years. That will make him 32/33 at the end of his contract. I offered him a $7 million a year average contract and he said no thanks. He just wanted a one year deal.

I have had some luck in the past with good deals on players (Manny Reynad & Juan Perez). They were way under market value for as good as they have been. My problem is I have lots on money now to spend and next year I have a ton of salary coming of the books next year as well. My whole team will only be about $43 million. I am tired of signing guys in their mid 30's and have them take a HUGE hit in ratings and be stuck paying them lots of money when they can't hit the ground if they fall.

Thanks Cory.

The main guy I wanted to sign is going to Arb next year and it is $6 million. He is 25 and I would like to lock him up for seven years. That will make him 32/33 at the end of his contract. I offered him a $7 million a year average contract and he said no thanks. He just wanted a one year deal.

I have had some luck in the past with good deals on players (Manny Reynad & Juan Perez). They were way under market value for as good as they have been. My problem is I have lots on money now to spend and next year I have a ton of salary coming of the books next year as well. My whole team will only be about $43 million. I am tired of signing guys in their mid 30's and have them take a HUGE hit in ratings and be stuck paying them lots of money when they can't hit the ground if they fall.

It will be Marshall's first year in arbitration, so you are still able to offer arb a year or two before being forced to give that big extension. You can usually shave a bit off the arbitration offers as well, worst case the "player wins" and he gets what he wanted anyways.

I still contend that the best course of action for smaller budget teams is to run arbitration to the end before deciding to make a big financial commitment. It is, however, always a good thing to explore and see what numbers they are looking for. You never know what kind of deal someone may take.

Now I see what you mean, Heath. Cory's posts are really tough to read. There's a Beckett ad in his post that pushes all the text to the left border - only 3-4 letters per line. I think it only happens on mobile - I just noticed it now on my phone and everything looked fine on my laptop yesterday.

Eric