cliff lee error card in 2010 Topps Opening day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I don't understand the "error" part. He was traded to the Mariners, Topps put him in a Mariner uniform. Anybody who pays more than a buck for that card is a flaming idiot.

But there aren't any versions of him without the HK patch, from what I've seen. Which doesn't make it an error so much as a poor photoshop job by Topps.

But there aren't any versions of him without the HK patch, from what I've seen. Which doesn't make it an error so much as a poor photoshop job by Topps.

You are absolutely right - it's a poor photoshop job by Topps, not an error card. What in the world is wrong with these bidders? Wow do I wish I had one to list on ebay...

Cliff Lee

I don't understand the "error" part. He was traded to the Mariners, Topps put him in a Mariner uniform. Anybody who pays more than a buck for that card is a flaming idiot.

Don't know if I would call it an error card, but here is why they are making such a deal about it--two versions exist;

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-TOPPS-CLIF...ZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item3caad8eb1f

Saw one completed auction where someone sold ten of the Mariners cards and the auction only went for $.99, and others where a single card goes for $40+

But like stated above, wouldn't pay over a buck for one.

BUt they are from 2 sets, thus, no error. Just a different set.

Hell, Longoria and Braun don't HAVE cards in Series 1, but they both have cards in Opening Day! Everybody sell your Braun and Longoria base as error cards!

Wow... I understand that Topps has gotten into the habit of making short-print versions of cards.. Like 2008's Red Sox w/ Giuliani, Johan No-Hitter card etc.

Obviously, there is a huge difference between a corrected and uncorrected error. I just took a quick look on ebay and there are a million of these things!!! I can't find one corrected version up on ebay! So, it would appear that this is an uncorrected error and since there are dozens for sale on ebay, they don't seem to be short-printed..

Why the heck are people paying $30-$50+ for these things? Seems like they'll probably be selling for a buck in a week or two.

Reminds me of the Jeter/Bush/Mantle from 07 Topps....cash in and sell them while you can if you got them!

Buy them back in a week or two for $1 :p.

Wow, I just traded for one of these on here, I thought it would just be another common. Maybe I should put up a one-day auction for it...

On March 9th and 10th, there were three on ebay that sold for more than $50 + shipping.. Today, the 11th, three have sold on ebay for less than $2 + shipping.. I really can't believe anyone actually spent $5 on this card, let alone $50.

Similar Error To 2010 Cliff Lee

Last year I noticed that 2009 Topps Football #85 Tony Gonzalez had the very same error. Instead of HK, Gonzo had the GU (Gene Upshaw) memorial patch worn league wide in 2008, when he was with Kansas City. What Topps did not do when painting him in Atlanta Falcons colors prior to their 2009 FB release, they failed to edit the GU patch off his jersey.

4438961134_d104f2de3a_m.jpg

2009 Topps #85 (poor paint job by Topps not to edit off GU patch)

4438184407_dc182a3f08_m.jpg

2008 Season (League wore "GU" patch for Week 1 only) Coincidentally, this was the Tom Brady leg injury game too.

I bought a Topps Opening Day blaster while in Florida this weekend. First pack contained the Cliff Lee card, with the HK patch. Why couldn't I have pulled it a week earlier? :D