Cliff notes 2/19/10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhens76

Prospect
Cliff Johnson - Home - 15 days - 2/3 (kept 1 as offered).

I'm glad he returned the topps collector series as that was the one I really wanted signed!

CliffJohnson2-19-2010.jpg

Cliff was a heck of a hitter! He could really mash the ball. I loved his swing. He had a short compact swing, but when he let go of the bat with his right hand the momentum of his swing would bring the bat all the way behind him, and when he finished his swing it looked like he was sitting on the bat handle. He had very good bat control, and didn't strike out much for a free swinger. I once read where Bill James said Johnson would have hit 500 home runs in the majors if the Astros didn't waste the first 10-11 years of his career trying to turn him into a catcher. After watching Johnson throughout his career, I would have to agree with Bill James on that assessment.

Awesme success! Did you also include Johnson's $5 signing fee per card?

yeah he was a great hitter.

great hitter on the field and in the locker room... didn't he throw down with Gossage?

Nope, I just included my cards and a letter.
He kept 1 card so maybe that was his signing fee :).

Cliff was a heck of a hitter! He could really mash the ball. I loved his swing. He had a short compact swing, but when he let go of the bat with his right hand the momentum of his swing would bring the bat all the way behind him, and when he finished his swing it looked like he was sitting on the bat handle. He had very good bat control, and didn't strike out much for a free swinger. I once read where Bill James said Johnson would have hit 500 home runs in the majors if the Astros didn't waste the first 10-11 years of his career trying to turn him into a catcher. After watching Johnson throughout his career, I would have to agree with Bill James on that assessment.

Awesme success! Did you also include Johnson's $5 signing fee per card?

Nice. I remember back when I was getting ip's he was a tough sign. When he did sign it was C J.