Collecting goals for 2023?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I am usually pretty good at completing the goals I set. Although I may set them a little low. I don't think we did this last year but the year before I had three goals. They were to complete my 1972 Topps set (completed), my 1968 Topps Deckle set with both variations (completed) and complete the 1964 Topps Giants set. The Topps Giants set is proving to be very difficult. On a postive note I am down to 4 cards left. But on a much bigger negative note they are Koufax, Mays, Aaron and Clemente. These cards have nearly tripled in price over the last couple years. But I will give this a try and list some goals.

1) I would like to pick up 4 of the remaining 6 cards for my 1971 Topps set. As most of you know, finding cards from this set in higher condition is getting harder and harder. And the prices keep going up. I just refuse to get cards that are not around exmt condition. I have been working too long to settle for lesser condition cards. Out of the 6 that I need, 4 of them are a little pricey. Aaron, Banks, Mays and the Baylor/Baker rookie. The other 2 are high numbers.

2) I would like to finally complete my 1975 Topps mini set. Down to 6 cards remaining on this one. Munson, Ryan, Yount and Aaron are the big ones left but these are still relatively affordable (for now).

3) I would like to get at least 2 of the 4 remaining 1964 Topps Giants I need.

4) I would like to cut my 1960 Topps want list in half. I am down to the last 50 cards and as usual when it comes to these vintage Topps sets, a majority of them are the high numbers. But I feel that these are also affordable so this is another one that I think can be reached.

5) And lastly, I will continue to try and pick up cards to help other collector's on here out. I like to believe that I am fairly good at this one. I go to a show or a shop at least once a month and take some people's want lists with me. This is beneficial to both of us in my opinion. I can get cards someone wants and then i trade those for ones that I want. It is kind of nice when everything works out in the end.

I will try and keep everyone informed as to how I do.

Great thread!!

Bryon

I am usually pretty good at completing the goals I set. Although I may set them a little low. I don't think we did this last year but the year before I had three goals. They were to complete my 1972 Topps set (completed), my 1968 Topps Deckle set with both variations (completed) and complete the 1964 Topps Giants set. The Topps Giants set is proving to be very difficult. On a postive note I am down to 4 cards left. But on a much bigger negative note they are Koufax, Mays, Aaron and Clemente. These cards have nearly tripled in price over the last couple years. But I will give this a try and list some goals.

1) I would like to pick up 4 of the remaining 6 cards for my 1971 Topps set. As most of you know, finding cards from this set in higher condition is getting harder and harder. And the prices keep going up. I just refuse to get cards that are not around exmt condition. I have been working too long to settle for lesser condition cards. Out of the 6 that I need, 4 of them are a little pricey. Aaron, Banks, Mays and the Baylor/Baker rookie. The other 2 are high numbers.

2) I would like to finally complete my 1975 Topps mini set. Down to 6 cards remaining on this one. Munson, Ryan, Yount and Aaron are the big ones left but these are still relatively affordable (for now).

4) I would like to cut my 1960 Topps want list in half. I am down to the last 50 cards and as usual when it comes to these vintage Topps sets, a majority of them are the high numbers. But I feel that these are also affordable so this is another one that I think can be reached.

5) And lastly, I will continue to try and pick up cards to help other collector's on here out. I like to believe that I am fairly good at this one. I go to a show or a shop at least once a month and take some people's want lists with me. This is beneficial to both of us in my opinion. I can get cards someone wants and then i trade those for ones that I want. It is kind of nice when everything works out in the end.

Great thread!!

Bryon
You are very close to putting some great sets to bed. Best of luck to you!!

Setting a modest goal to pick up 52 cards over the year, one per week. Spend more time reading sports books, comics and organize what I already own. Have a pile of books and comics yet to be opened and cards waiting to be sorted.

Collecting
1. Paul O'Neill -- add 25 cards
2. Yankees Topps/Heritage -- 10 vintage, 10 SSPs
3. Autographs -- 5 cards
4. Non-Sports -- 2 autos or comics

Organizing
1. Complete my office, shelves, and displays.
2. Continue to sell/trade to fund purchases.
3. Streamline my spreadsheet/site.
4. Update searches for vintage needs

Great thread!!

Bryon
Completing the 72 set is very impressive. I'm working on the set myself and those high numbers are a hit to the wallet even for EX copies. The 73 set took me less than a year but I've learned when building vintage sets,it requires a ton of patience. Took me 4 years to complete my 2011 Topps/Topps Update Diamond and Cognac sets so I'm kinda used to it.

I've actually done a fair job at organizing in '22, my goal this year is to now unload a lot of my "junk stock" via sportlots or elsewise.

Ultimately I want to get my collection down to a manageable level that is PC + sets + a smallish amount of trading stock.

Also, open less wax. Buy/Trade for more singles.

Great thread!!

Bryon
I remember you getting that last couple of cards for that 1972 set. I think the last one was the Carew which is an iconic card in my book. I re,member you'd seem to pick up a lot of 1972 High #s at shows and flea markets back then which are not easy to find.

Are you sure the 1964 Topps Giants are still high in price? The vintage market (as well as the card market in general) has softened up quite a bit and you might be able to pick these up cheaper now than you could 6 or 8 months ago.

And 1975 Topps minis are a long forgotten goal for me. I'll bet that near complete set has been dormant for 25 years.........no exaggeration. I never paid much attention to it because I lacked the Brett RC but a friend of mine reminded me he traded me a NM one 15 or so years ago. I looked at that partial set and there it was! SMH!!!! I really need to make a want list for that and see where I stand. I'm only a quesrter Century late in redoing one.

And that third paragraph shows why getting organozed is once again my collecting goal!!

I remember you getting that last couple of cards for that 1972 set. I think the last one was the Carew which is an iconic card in my book. I re,member you'd seem to pick up a lot of 1972 High #s at shows and flea markets back then which are not easy to find.

Are you sure the 1964 Topps Giants are still high in price? The vintage market (as well as the card market in general) has softened up quite a bit and you might be able to pick these up cheaper now than you could 6 or 8 months ago.

And 1975 Topps minis are a long forgotten goal for me. I'll bet that near complete set has been dormant for 25 years.........no exaggeration. I never paid much attention to it because I lacked the Brett RC but a friend of mine reminded me he traded me a NM one 15 or so years ago. I looked at that partial set and there it was! SMH!!!! I really need to make a want list for that and see where I stand. I'm only a quesrter Century late in redoing one.

And that third paragraph shows why getting organozed is once again my collecting goal!!
I haven't been to a show in a little while but I am going to one this month. If you have a want list for the 1975 minis I will take a look.

I haven't been to a show in a little while but I am going to one this month. If you have a want list for the 1975 minis I will take a look.
Thanks! I'll get a want list for this set made in a few days. I pretty much know where this particular set is (a miracle!) so once I locate it, I'll make the list and send it to you.

If memory serves I think there was a topic last year on collecting goals for 2022 (or maybe it was for 2021) and I think you posted about the 1975 Mini set and I repled the same way. Of course I didn't keep this resolution but I will now...............I hope! LMAO!!!

My goals for 2023:

Add 10-15 cards to my 1972 Topps set
Add 100 new Pujols cards to the collection,hopefully a RC I need.
Add 1,000 cards to my tradepage (I've really been slacking on that)
Complete my 2021 Stadium Club Chrome Refractor set (32 cards short)

3) I would like to get at least 2 of the 4 remaining 1964 Topps Giants I need. COMPLETED!!!!!!

Great thread!!

Bryon

I actually completed one of the goals I set. I just bought the 1964 Topps Giants Clemente and picked up the Aaron last month. I am going to try to work on the first goal now but these will be tough.

hi all my goals this year is to try and complete 10 sets out of the 34 i am trying to finish between all major sports baseball, football and basketball yoall hve a great summer and lost of luck on your goals and aims

I actually completed one of the goals I set. I just bought the 1964 Topps Giants Clemente and picked up the Aaron last month. I am going to try to work on the first goal now but these will be tough.
Congratulations on the 1964 set. That must be loaded with stars.