Collection Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opcfan

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Well I never thought I would be doing this but here we go. I had my hard drive crash and guess what I didn't have my card collection data saved on an external source so poof my over two years of data is gone. I was useing a program called Sportsbinder but since I am starting new I thought I might go a different route. I would like to use a program with easy input and great search and reporting functions. I was wondering how other collectors are keeping track of there collections.
Jim

OUCH, sorry to hear about the crash...

i use simple old notepad because it is much easier to copy and paste directly onto my webs page. i have all the pages on my site saved as notepad files which i open-edit-save then copy+paste back onto webs.
when searching i use the ctrl+f function. thankfully all of my pages are updated on my webs page, so if my hard drive ever crashed i could just go to the web and copy+paste back from my webs page.

Sportscollectors.net.

You can track everything with the free membership. You just can't search other people's successes unless you do the paid membership.

EDIT: Just realized I may have misunderstood. I assumed you meant autos because of the section it is located in. I just use Excel to track everything. Save it externally or on a website so crashes are devastating.

I have a software package that I use to track my haves, which is quite a bit more than just year and number. I then extract the data I need and put it in to Notepad, and from there, cut and paste to my website. A little cloogey but it works for me!

I have a software package that I use to track my haves, which is quite a bit more than just year and number. I then extract the data I need and put it in to Notepad, and from there, cut and paste to my website. A little cloogey but it works for me!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. fatrat: what software package are you using?

I like using excel because I find it the easiest to use.. It recognizes words/names you have already entered so you don't have to keep typing it.. It makes it easy when you break a box and have 30 of the same insert set or something.. I have mine set like this

name / year / set / card number / bv / serial numbering..

The only catch is if you want to put it on a website you should copy the list and paste it in a message at the bottom of a thread, then copy the list from the message box so it gets rid of all the rows,columns, etc.

Hope this helps

Chris

I like using excel because I find it the easiest to use.. It recognizes words/names you have already entered so you don't have to keep typing it.. It makes it easy when you break a box and have 30 of the same insert set or something.. I have mine set like this

name / year / set / card number / bv / serial numbering..

The only catch is if you want to put it on a website you should copy the list and paste it in a message at the bottom of a thread, then copy the list from the message box so it gets rid of all the rows,columns, etc.
Hope this helps

Chris

Just an FYI, but if you are not connected to the internet and cannot access a Bench message box, you can "strip" the excel formatting by first pasting into a Notepad document.

yeah but I know, but if I'm not connected to the internet I couldn't post on my site either ;)

I just find it easier to use the bench message box