COMC Pricing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdot

Bench Warmer
Hey Guys,

New to this forum and just getting back into the hobby…. I’m noticing a HUGE price discrepancy on the same raw cards on COMC. I noticed that there can be 10 sellers selling the exact same card but one seller is ask $12 and one is asking $100. Was wondering if the pricing is directly indicative of the condition or quality of the card? Or is this just a matter of one seller being greedy and hoping to find a “sucker” who over pays? Or if these more expensive cards are just more likely to grade out highly? Given you can’t ask any questions of the sellers I feel like this could be an expensive lesson to learn, so I thought I’d ask you guys if you have any experience with this.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to contributing to the community.

@Sdot

Welcome to the Bench!!

COMC is good at noting condition issues so any variance in pricing between sellers is not due to condition. Instead, I believe it is just sellers being greedy. They put a high price and hope they can sell it at that or have someone negotiate with them. COMC pricing can be odd, but wait it out and watch for sales.

Scobes

@Sdot

Welcome to the Bench!!

COMC is good at noting condition issues so any variance in pricing between sellers is not due to condition. Instead, I believe it is just sellers being greedy. They put a high price and hope they can sell it at that or have someone negotiate with them. COMC pricing can be odd, but wait it out and watch for sales.

Scobes
Thanks so much for the reply… I’m eager to get started but don’t want to blow my bankroll buying over paying, or blow by buying cheap low priced garbage.

One other question if I may - a few sellers on COMC I noticed have a number of the same card for sale but it looks to me like it may be the same photo for each (I don’t claim to have an expert eye so maybe I’m just paranoid to make a mistake). Is this possible or does COMC ensure that every photo is product specific?

Thanks so much for the reply… I’m eager to get started but don’t want to blow my bankroll buying over paying, or blow by buying cheap low priced garbage.

One other question if I may - a few sellers on COMC I noticed have a number of the same card for sale but it looks to me like it may be the same photo for each (I don’t claim to have an expert eye so maybe I’m just paranoid to make a mistake). Is this possible or does COMC ensure that every photo is
They scan or photo each card individually.

If you are coming back to the hobby, I suggest sportlots.com if you are not already familiar. You can save a lot of money if just buying commons or low end cards.

Happy collecting, Frank

...Plus if you buy from 15 different sellers...only one cost for shipping and u select the method if you want it expedited or the economy way. During the virus....their orders took months....nowdays....they back on line with the orders. I normally use them once trading for the cards on the bench slows down and if I only need a few more to finish the set! Those wanting more are probably the ones who grambled on getting a ton of this stuff...looking for the hits and losted....now their trying to recoup their losses! Best regards, David

Last edited:
@Sdot Welcome to the Bench friend, this is the best place online!

I would second everything said in this thread so far, COMC's turnaround time is so much better now it seems like, faster shipping now that they are caught up. Sellers do run sales on there fairly frequently, so its worth it to wait it out.

You have a good chance to trade for what you are looking for on here too, so if you have a wantlist and tradelist, definitely get that posted in a new thread and people can start helping you out!

Blessings,

Kevin

So cool… I appreciate everyone welcoming me to the community and helping me out… I really only have a want list right now, as I don’t really have too much of a collection yet. And I’m really trying to make sure I do my homework before I start buying everything in sight.