Completing sets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Being mainly a vintage collector,I have given up on trying to piece sets together and decided to just buy complete sets now when I find a good deal out there.Like stated earlier some things are getting harder to find and actually in the long run I think it is way cheaper to buy a set than to "build one" that you will be happy with..I also agree with the theory of getting it done with what you can and then upgrade later.

I agree that it is definetely cheaper to buy the set than piece it together. But for me a lot of the fun is also the thrill of the chase. I was looking through a bunch of stuff a guy pulled out of box at a show this weekend and found a mint 1975 Johnny bench that I needed for my 1975 set. I was really happy to finally find the card and paid a whopping 3.00 for it. And it just seems easier to spend 20 or 30 dollars here and there than drop 1000 in one shot.

I feel your pain. I am attempting to do the '71 set also. But I was realistic when I started it....I set a goal of completing it before my daughter graduates from high school. She is currently in the third grade.

As for condition, I'm not too picky. Like someone said above, as long as it's not bent in two or ripped in half I am cool with it. A fellow Benchie once said to me "I collect vintage sets, not mint vintage sets." I have been living by that creed lately.