Countdown The “topps” 60 Mlb Cards Of All-time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taliasen

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
TOPPS TO CELEBRATE COMPANY’S 60th ANNIVERSARY BY GIVING FANS THE CHANCE TO VOTE FOR THEIR FAVORITE BASEBALL CARDS BEGINNING
NOVEMBER 1, 2010

For 60 years, Topps has offered its collectors the best baseball cards in the world and now, the question will finally be addressed: What is the most popular Topps baseball card of all-time? Today, The Topps Company, the leading creator and marketer of sports cards and the official baseball card company of Major League Baseball®, announced the company’s plans to let collectors answer that question in its efforts to determine the top 60 cards in its illustrious history.

To celebrate the company’s 60th anniversary, beginning today, fans will have the chance to go to http://vote.topps.com to vote for their favorite Topps baseball cards of all-time. Voting will be live for 30 days. Based on the opinions of avid card collectors and Topps fans, the cards will be counted down from number 60 beginning on December 18 through February 15 when the greatest baseball card in Topps history will be revealed.

Topps will then buy back each of the 60 cards that made the list and include them in 2011 Topps Series 1 Baseball product.

“Every collector has their own personal favorite card and now the Topps 60 countdown will give fans a forum to have their voices heard in determining the most popular card of all-time,” said Warren Friss, Topps V.P. –General Manager. “The countdown will certainly stir up friendly debate between fans and we look forward to creating buzz and excitement around the availability of these top cards in our upcoming 2011 product.”

Way Cool!!! Time to start thinking of my favorites. I know that 72 Mays is on mine since it is the first really good card that I pulled.

Thanks,

Jeff

I think they should have just named it "The Same 60 MLB Cards of All-Time" since it's always the same cards they recognize. I mean, how does the 1978 Topps Traded Oscar Gamble not make this list? Winfield's rookie is BORING (and I'm a Dave Winfield collector!) and Ozzie Smith's rookie card is hideous. It's like they just generically went for top book value for each year or something.

Glad to see the 85 Topps Kirby Puckett on the list. Betting it won't make the final cut, but it has at least one vote now!

Some amazing cards to look at!

By far the best card is the 1972 Topps Cecil Cooper RC. They mistakenly list it as a Carlton Fisk, but we all know it is a Cooper RC.

Shawn

Topps preselected their top 100 for us to vote the top 60, so our vote is based on their preselected cards! Kinda feels a little fixed to me.

BOO!

I would vote the 1978 Topps Doug Ault card in my top 60! Do you think it would make it? HAHA! I love the Gamble 76T, the 76 Bevacqua bubble champ card and many others that are not necessarily valuable, but fun and MEMORABLE!

Strasburg 2010...BOO!

LAME, LAME, LAME.

Let's see, surprise is over...52 Topps Mantle is #1 although not necessarily deserved.

I think they should have just named it "The Same 60 MLB Cards of All-Time" since it's always the same cards they recognize. I mean, how does the 1978 Topps Traded Oscar Gamble not make this list? Winfield's rookie is BORING (and I'm a Dave Winfield collector!) and Ozzie Smith's rookie card is hideous. It's like they just generically went for top book value for each year or something.

Topps preselected their top 100 for us to vote the top 60, so our vote is based on their preselected cards! Kinda feels a little fixed to me.

BOO!

I would vote the 1978 Topps Doug Ault card in my top 60! Do you think it would make it? HAHA! I love the Gamble 76T, the 76 Bevacqua bubble champ card and many others that are not necessarily valuable, but fun and MEMORABLE!

Strasburg 2010...BOO!

LAME, LAME, LAME.

Let's see, surprise is over...52 Topps Mantle is #1 although not necessarily deserved.

It's pretty much the way it has to be though. Topps takes enough backlash for 'gimmick' cards today. Ever since baseball cards escaped the realm of schoolyard trading among 10 year old boys and became 'collectibles' it always has been and always will be all about the money. Imagine the outcry across the country as 'collectors' pull a case type hit and it's the 1976 Kurt Bevacqua. When Topps did this 20 years ago they got plenty of flack for inserting one of every card into packs (redemptions for the big guns) because people were opening box after box and they finally got a hit and it was a 1989 Stan Jefferson. Even if Topps let us pick completely on our own, you'd hear screaming from coast to coast because "OSCAR GAMBLE IS NOT ONE OF THE GREAT CARDS IN TOPPS HISTORY! THEY SHOULD ALL BE SUPERSTARS! TOPPS IS SCREWING THE COLLECTORS AGAIN! HOW CHEAP CAN THEY BE?!?!?" As a one pack hit, it's a good laugh and "oh, I remember pulling that card new!" moment, but Topps will hear a lot more from the people buying and busting cases of the product, and to bust a case or two of this and get a $3.50 card as a 60th Anniversary prize and 3 cards later is a Derek Jeter base card That sells the same Will come back to haunt them a lot more than the outcry from the Bench complaining about us having to pick from a preselected lot

For the purpose of a buyback promotion, I can see an issue in getting a "cheap" card, but if the expensive cards are really the top 60, then let the voters decide that, not Topps. Actually when I saw that the cards were already selected, I stopped reading and missed that the winners would become buybacks.

As it is now, there will always be a loser card out of any batch. You didn't get the 52 Mantle, you got the 85 Topps RB Gooden! Maybe they could consider a give away that is not tied to the selection of the cards or vice versa. Make the top 60 a reprint insert set only and not a giveaway that will disappoint if the cards selected are not worth $100s.

It's just not the "top anything" in my mind if the candidates are preselected for me.

BORING!!!! There are no fun cards in there. And how many Mantles do we need to look at? Sorry Topps but I will NOT be voting.

Thanks,

Jeff

Kinda surprised to not see the 1990 Frank Thomas NNO ERR... but I guess they are including actual prints not err's, uh? :)
I remember long ago I bought maybe 25 boxes of 1990 Topps in hopes of pulling a Thomas ERR, ah but alas... I was in ERR ;)

For the purpose of a buyback promotion, I can see an issue in getting a "cheap" card, but if the expensive cards are really the top 60, then let the voters decide that, not Topps. Actually when I saw that the cards were already selected, I stopped reading and missed that the winners would become buybacks.

As it is now, there will always be a loser card out of any batch. You didn't get the 52 Mantle, you got the 85 Topps RB Gooden! Maybe they could consider a give away that is not tied to the selection of the cards or vice versa. Make the top 60 a reprint insert set only and not a giveaway that will disappoint if the cards selected are not worth $100s.

It's just not the "top anything" in my mind if the candidates are preselected for me.

I can appreciate that, but look at the contention pretty much any time people get to vote with no strictly defined criteria. All Star Game rosters, BCS standings, MVP/Cy Young, 1998 Time Magazine Man of the Year... All it takes is a few people starting the idea "hey, remember that Terry Forster card that David Letterman showed when he called him a 'Fat tub of goo'?" Suddenly the 1985 Topps Terry Forster is one of the top 60. The trouble with best, greatest, most exciting, etc is it's all personal, and if my choices don't match with the winners, I'm probably not going to care much about the set. When someone asks you what's your 'best' card, and you tell them about the Oscar gamble with the big 'fro, or the Don Mossi, you can be pretty confident the next question is going to be "what's your most valuable?" and if you give them the story of the 'priceless' 1972 George Mitterwald that your brother would never trade you when you were kids and it was the last card you needed for that set and he left it to you after he died unexpectedly, you can pretty much be ready for the next question to be which one is the most expensive. People find out you collect baseball cards, it's normally "how long/how many/how much"

I don't consider value when coming up with my top 60. Topps obviously does.

Topps has to sell their cards and the Mantles sell. I'm sure their angle is to get the most big names as they can, to promote the product and sell more packs, boxes and cases. I get that.

The unique cards however usually go unnoticed until someone makes a big deal about them. There are still people today who "discover" the Gamble, Bevacqua and others today, having never seen them before because they are commons. The NNOF Thomas is only valuable because of the player. Any other NNOF common would be similar to a 1988 White Letter Keith Comstock! Many unusual cards are seared into my memory only because of the book, "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubblegum Book". I read the book and enjoyed the stories related to each card. I only have a 1964 Topps Phil Linz card because of this book. It's not a personal top 60, but there are a few in there that might be.

I guess it's another memory from days gone by and the way it was. I want the top 60 to be fun, not profitable!

Just looked at the cards... Is it the best 60 card designs or the most popular or most expensive? To me, it should be the best overall card design taking into account the bordering etc.

I would take a 71 Ryan (action photo) over the 70 card any day. Also, Gordon and Strasburg? A gimmick card that they tried to sneak through and card of a guy that they are making way too many different cards (think I heard there are 22 in update alone?) Most of the photos are just posed shots and not that exciting. I do like the 73 Clemente. Nice shot of him batting and his last card.

I'm sorry, but the 52 designs don't do anything for me.