Curious for Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbacknate

Pro
4.90 star(s)
Hello everyone, I am wanting to get back into the hobby slowly but would like some input on the wisest way to generate spending money on cards I collect using baseball cards.

For instance, do I buy unopened boxes and then trade/sell to work up to a card I would like? Any tips are appreciated!

Boxes are not worth it unless you collect a set. Hunt for cards you collect and singles to trade/sell from bargain boxes at card shows. You can get tons of cards with $10+ book value in bargain boxes nowadays.

I would second the advice given above. Don't buy boxes hoping to get a big hit to make a profit to buy what you want. Just buy the card you want, you will be much happier in the end, and won't have additional clutter in your abode. And if you go dollar box diving, grab cards that you will be able to re-sell (if that is your ultimate goal). A famous man once said - it is not what you want, but what the consumer wants.

What # is the 2019 Topps Chrome Tommy Edman RC you are looking for?

I would second the advice given above. Don't buy boxes hoping to get a big hit to make a profit to buy what you want. Just buy the card you want, you will be much happier in the end, and won't have additional clutter in your abode. And if you go dollar box diving, grab cards that you will be able to re-sell (if that is your ultimate goal). A famous man once said - it is not what you want, but what the consumer wants.

What # is the 2019 Topps Chrome Tommy Edman RC you are looking for?
Pretty sure it's US84

Hello everyone, I am wanting to get back into the hobby slowly but would like some input on the wisest way to generate spending money on cards I collect using baseball cards.

For instance, do I buy unopened boxes and then trade/sell to work up to a card I would like? Any tips are appreciated!

I have left and come back into the hobby probably a dozen times over the last 20 years, lol! I always find a reason to get out, then miss it and want back in.

Here is how I always re-enter the hobby:

1) Go on Facebook Market Place, Forums, Newspaper etc and look for large lots of cards. IMPORTANT - do not ask for a lot, those lots tend to just be base dumps when people know you are looking for it. You get better mix of cards when someone is selling thousands of cards at a time. For an example, a few years ago, I found someone who had been trying to sell their old collection of 80s and 90s cards and couldn’t so I got about 15,000 cards for $35. Just be patient and you can find those deals.

2) Before you go through the lot, decide what you are going to collect. Are you going to do sets? Be a player collector? Team collector? HOF? All of it is fine, just know what you want to focus on.

3) Go through the collection you just bought and pull out whatever fits #2 above. That is the start of your collection.

4) Organize everything else.

5) Sell off all the base super cheap. I would always do this as I am not a set builder. If you are then maybe keep them to trade with other set builders. Keeping the base around just takes up room and is frustrating to have just sit there. I would normally fill a flat rate box to the brim and sell for the price of shipping + $2. That’s it. I’m not looking to make money on this, just making room. There are exceptions to this, desirable sets, vintage sets etc do not go into these boxes.

6) Make a trade list of all the inserts, vintage, relics, autos etc that you have left. Come up with a policy of trading practices. Such as, if I am trading up I give value to the other trader. IE if I am giving 2-10 cards for 1 card, I would give 2x value to them. If I am giving 10+ cards for 1 card I give them 3-4x value. Just decide your own precedent. This also helps you lessen your collection, but also makes others happy as the get a lot more for their collection. It’s a win win for everyone.

7) Trade for trade bait. When you have something that someone wants, but they do not have anything you need for your collection, accept trade bait. This does a few things. 1) helps you move stuff in your trade box. 2) helps another collector, which we all need to do. We all need to help each other out. Trust me, most collectors will remember you helped them out and will pay it forward when you need it. 3) keeps your trade box relevant instead of the same stuff for months on end. Variety helps trades go through.

8) Rinse and repeat steps 1-7.

I would not buy boxes ever unless you get an insane deal which is not happening in todays market, or you just have a need to rip packs. If it’s the second, then find the cheapest box you are good with, or join a break. I’m a fan of jointing breaks as I get to decide what I am getting and don’t have to deal with base. I normally have the breaker not even send me the base, just the inserts, RCs, hits and superstars if there are any on the team I got.

This is what I do, but it does not work for everyone. Most importantly have fun, and be honest With yourself and other collectors!