Did anybody attend the National?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PRosefan1

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
It was in my back yard this year and like a dork, I didnt go. Didnt really have enough extra money to make the trip worthwhile. Window shopping stinks. I fully intend to make one some year. How bout you all? Anybody go this year?

I'm pretty sure mm1sub went.

I spoke to a friend of a friend of mine who went and he said it was a mob scene and you couldn't get close to most of the tables. He said he brought $1,000 with him and felt like a pauper when he saw how much money was flowing there. From the sounds of it, I would only go to a show like that if I were looking for 1 or 2 specific, hard to find items. I like to make larger (bulkier) deals when I buy cards and that did not sound like the venue for that.

I did attend the 2nd ever National in Plymouth, Michigan in the early 80s. That National would be smaller than most average sized regional shows these days. I'm not even sure there were price guides at that time and if they were it was the first or 2nd year for them. I actually had to avoid a few dinosaurs on the way to the show!

I did not go as they are no longer the National.....name should be changed to the east coast show. I had lots of money if they only come back to the West Coast! Best regards, David

I went on Fri and Sat. I also went to the Tigers game on Th and watched them get the best of the team from Cleveland.

David - Please, please do not consider Ohio as East Coast. We are proud members of the Midwest :)

The show was good and bad in my opinion. I attended the last show in Cleveland and this one was much more crowded. I heard an estimated crowd size of over 100k on a local news station. Good for the hobby, but not so good standing in line for 30 minutes or more to use the bathroom or get food. I had to park in the grass on Fri. At times it was difficult to move or get to the actual table to see cards.

I found dealers very difficult to work with for the most part. I had cards I was looking to sell and while I did sell some it was nearly impossible to find anyone interested in buying. I had a wide variety of star cards in all sports (graded, RC's, autos, HOF etc) and rarely was anyone interested in making an offer. Prices were very high for almost everything and the common feeling among many attendees is that dealers were not very willing to negotiate.

I did see a ton of kids buying, trading and busting packs. I'm not sure how they can afford all the slabbed cards they were carrying around, but it was good to see so many of them.

I was there on Sunday. Maybe because it was the last day, but thought it was fantastic. Picked up a beautiful 1971 Topps Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks. Got a nice bunch of 1969 and 1970 Topps for 1.00 each. I was able to look at everything with no problems. And like was said above, there were a ton of kids there. All in all, it was a great show in my opinion. The one thing I will say is that for anyone who has never been to one, it can feel a little overwhelming. This was the first National I have been to in quite a while. The last one I attended was years ago in Chicago. And after hearing the horror stories about last year( cramped space and no A/C) I thought it was fantastic.

I

The show was good and bad in my opinion. I attended the last show in Cleveland and this one was much more crowded. I heard an estimated crowd size of over 100k on a local news station. Good for the hobby, but not so good standing in line for 30 minutes or more to use the bathroom or get food. I had to park in the grass on Fri. At times it was difficult to move or get to the actual table to see cards.

I found dealers very difficult to work with for the most part. I had cards I was looking to sell and while I did sell some it was nearly impossible to find anyone interested in buying. I had a wide variety of star cards in all sports (graded, RC's, autos, HOF etc) and rarely was anyone interested in making an offer. Prices were very high for almost everything and the common feeling among many attendees is that dealers were not very willing to negotiate.
That was exactly what the person I spoke to said. It was a mob scene, it was hard to get to tables, prices were high and dealers were not willing to make deals. I am surprised that dealers were not looking to buy though. One of the big pluses settting up at shows or owning a card store are the cards that are offered for sale. Maybe it cost so much to set up there with table fees, food and lodging that dealers were just reluctant to buy?

That was exactly what the person I spoke to said. It was a mob scene, it was hard to get to tables, prices were high and dealers were not willing to make deals. I am surprised that dealers were not looking to buy though. One of the big pluses settting up at shows or owning a card store are the cards that are offered for sale. Maybe it cost so much to set up there with table fees, food and lodging that dealers were just reluctant to buy?
Most of the dealers that I know/knew were never afraid to shoot you a lowball offer. LOL Next time its at the IX center I will be there. Funds or not.

Most of the dealers that I know/knew were never afraid to shoot you a lowball offer. LOL Next time its at the IX center I will be there. Funds or not.
Exactly! If it is apparent dealers are not buying, that is the perfect time to buy. It is always best to zig when everyone else zags in this hobby.

until the nationals come to the west coast. i wont bother going. and i agree it just the east coast show. now. with burbank doing shows here on the west coast. iam more than happy with them. tons of dealers. and all the you tubers show up as well. even trade night for the kids.

Back