Did I pay to much?,..opinions needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bombie1138

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I was up at the Flea Market today and this caught my eye,..
scan0035.jpg

It's a photo negative of card #385 from Topps 1957 series,.Art Houttleman
I paid 15.00 for it but thought it was a great addition to my Indians collection.
LMK what you think.Did I pay to much?,..I have no idea what these go for,..

Clint

Last edited:
I think if you were willing to pay that for it then no you didn't over pay for it. It is for your personal collection, it is not something that you see everyday (I think) and cards are what someone is willing to pay for it.
Nice addition to your PC. JMO
Trish

Thanks everyone for the input,
I figured that for 15.00 I could get a 1/1 thats 55 years old,plus when you look at it,it looks almost 3D with a amber glow,..sounds like the price was right,..

Clint

You know, when you pick something up for your personal collection and it's something you like, it's probably a nice pickup.
It's a photo negative, so it's definitely not mass produced...You could have picked up a card of the "next hot rookie" and paid that much or more...I like it! :)

I was up at the Flea Market today and this caught my eye,..
scan0035.jpg

It's a photo negative of card #385 from Topps 1957 series,.Art Houttleman
I paid 15.00 for it but thought it was a great addition to my Indians collection.
LMK what you think.Did I pay to much?,..I have no idea what these go for,..

Clint

Clint -
Anytime you can add to the PC without breaking the bank, it isn't too much. Nice pickup.

Ditto what everyone else said re adding to your pc

I frequent yard sales, flea markets, live auctions and estate sales looking for anything I think I can make a buck on and although I don't know anything about those for $15 I would have scooped it up. Of course if marked at $15 I would have first offered $10 before paying full price :)

$15 is a fair price for that item, you did not overpay by any means. Congrats on the cool PC addition:)

As Obed said, Topps Vault starts of most of their auctions at around $10 and sometimes offers BINs at $10-15 for things they must feel won't necessarily sell that well.

I have seen some of those items sell extremely strongly because bidders got into a war over them. The negatives of actual cards seem to sell better than the random photo negatives they sell, but to a collector of a certain player or team, it is neat to find a photo that may not have ever been seen before.

Now you can make your own 57 Topps Houtteman cards!!

How do you know it's a 1/1? Didn't Topps sometimes test run multiple negatives before deciding on a FINAL image?

How do you know it's a 1/1? Didn't Topps sometimes test run multiple negatives before deciding on a FINAL image?

Guess I really don't know if it's a 1/1,..I do not have a lot of knowledge of the process they use,..Best I don't assume it's a true 1/1 till it's proven,.

Clint

Maybe I am wrong but I thought a negative was supposed to be reversed, but I can see the Cleveland written accross his jersey. Is this how all the topps vault cards were or is this a photo taken from the actual negative?

I also believe you got a fair price on it...if you had got it on eBay then you would have had to pay shipping and it would have been about the same price as you got it for.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought a negative was supposed to be reversed, but I can see the Cleveland written accross his jersey. Is this how all the topps vault cards were or is this a photo taken from the actual negative?

Depends which side you're looking at it from :)

Guess I really don't know if it's a 1/1,..I do not have a lot of knowledge of the process they use,..Best I don't assume it's a true 1/1 till it's proven,.

Clint

Hey, I don't know, I was just asking! I just assumed that there were "test' print runs on all cards and to make those, they would have had to have a negative to work from. So each time they test, they had a different negative..and the way Topps words some of those auctions for these things, like "final negative" or 'test proof", can cast some doubt on what you actually have. If you have the actual card, in perfect condition and can compare, that might help- if coloring ,centering, etc is the same, you may have the final negative. And it might very well be a 1/1.

You had to complicate things, didn't ya? LOL

I think a photo negative can be reversed but I'm not sure if a test run negative can- it would be an actual print, which would make it non-reversed.