Ebay Issue--**UPDATED**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teammaddux

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
So I purchased what was thought to be a 1991 Topps Tiffany Maddux card. Card arrives in the mail.

1st issue: Postage due: 44 cents on a bubble mailer that only had 44 cents to start with on it. Those of you who work for the P.O.: Is it possible that a postal worker would have let a bubble mailer slide through with just 44 cents on it? Or would the seller had to have put one stamp on it and then just put it in a mail slot in order for it to go thru the mail?

2nd issue: I open the package and the card is only in a penny sleeve, and thus is also creased in a few places.

3rd issue: It is the wrong card...1991 Tiffany would have the gloss on it...but this is your standard 1991 Topps Maddux card.

So I contact the seller, he first asks me what I want to do. He claims the postal worker put on the stamp, and that "he knows nothing about cards" since he was supposedly selling it for his son. I tell him that I do not want to spend the money to send it back, since it will cost me more than him to send it back properly, but I still want my entire purchase refunded (0.99 + 2.00 shipping).

He replies and pretty much cites Ebay policy about how if I want refunded, I have to return it, and I only get refunded the 2.99 spent, not the return postage. I send him a message back once again re-iterating that it in the end he is neither gaining nor losing nothing, since he'll get his fees back; however, I end up losing a card that was never correctly sent (and damaged), plus the 44 cents I owe the mailman, PLUS the postage I will have to send the card back with.

Am I right in wanting to keep the card (I'm planning on pitching it if I do) and still demand the $2.99 back, or do I have no case, since it is Ebay policy that I have to send it back to get my refund? I know it's not a lot of money, but it is a principle thing.

Concerning a previous issue with another seller, I contacted an Ebay rep about an issue before and they gave me a credit to compensate for my shipping the card back despite my objections, but am not sure if they would do that again for me.

Please let me know your thoughts, sorry for the long read,

John

So after the seller accuses me of wanting to keep the card and get my refund back (said there was "something not right"), I send him back a response stating how for me to send it back would cost much more than he ever spent on shipping to send the card to me. I get no response for close to two days, so I decide to send Ebay a message. I explain to them everything wrong with the problem, I explain that in order for me to properly send it back I would have to pay for DC, so not only was I out the card, but also all the extra shipping. So I asked them if I could receive a refund for the postage due and return shipping.

Within 2 hours, I received a response stating "neither you or the seller is at fault", and then Ebay ended up issuing me a refund for the $2.99 themselves.

Thanks for your all advice.

John

Last edited:
Ebay's return ploicy:

Note: Sellers are always required to accept a return if eBay determines that the item was significantly different from what was described in the listing.

How to create a return policy

To create a return policy:
In the Other things you'd like buyers to know section of the listing form, select Returns Accepted or Returns Not Accepted from the Return policy drop-down menu. If you don't see a drop-down menu, click the Change link, and then select Returns Accepted or Returns Not Accepted.

If you're accepting returns:

Select the time limit for returning the item.

Select the type of refund you'll give if the item is returned.

Select who will pay for return shipping.

Enter additional return policy details in the text box provided.

I see the seller of the Maddux card listed this in his return policy:

The buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.

May not be worth returning, although you might refer to the part that they must accept a return if the item is not what was described, since it isn't a Tiffany card.

Worst case it costs you $0.44 to get your money back as you slide the card into a PWE and drop it in the mailbox! The seller should pay to have it returned if he failed to sell you what was described and failed to properly package it.

Now is it worth $0.44 to the seller to have you ship it back is the question they will need to answer (since they need to refund that too!!!), if they are not some sort of hardheaded seller who will fight the refund process anyways.

Some people... I'd go head and return it and just leave him a negative feedback. If the postal worker put a stamp on it, doesn't that mean he mailed it with no postage at all? Am I missing something or was it mail your stuff for free day that day? After my issue, I'm through with the "My son, My dad" stuff.

Thanks
Craig

paypal would side with him if you dont provide DC

Threaten with a negative if you dont get the funds returned and if he refuses just drop the negative and call it a learning experience

There is no excuse for not knowing what you are selling. There are plenty of ways to research what you have to sell to get accurate information. So I don't buy the "I don't know know cards" bit. How can you sell something you know nothing about?

I would send it back. What amazes me is that the guy just won't refund such a small amount in good faith when he admits not knowing what the card was.

I bought something recently and the seller sent me the "wrong" item. Cost me $13 to send it back which I didn't recover. Just got purchase price and original s/h. Total BS !

In your case it's not worth any hassle whatsoever so if I were you I would just leave negative fb and all 1's on the stars and move on.

Worst case it costs you $0.44 to get your money back as you slide the card into a PWE and drop it in the mailbox! The seller should pay to have it returned if he failed to sell you what was described and failed to properly package it.

Now is it worth $0.44 to the seller to have you ship it back is the question they will need to answer (since they need to refund that too!!!), if they are not some sort of hardheaded seller who will fight the refund process anyways.

You MUST return ship with dc to be able to prove you shipped.

Threaten with a negative if you dont get the funds returned and if he refuses just drop the negative and call it a learning experience

If you threaten to leave a negative ebay will hit you with feedback extortion. NOT a good idea !

If you threaten to leave a negative ebay will hit you with feedback extortion. NOT a good idea !

I didnt mean a literal threat... obviously still be cival but let him know your not happy and the refund is the right thing to do

So he knows nothing about cards, but decided to err on the side of this being the Tiffany version rather than just the regular version? Nobody who knows nothing about cards would just come up with "I must have the Tiffany version in my hands and not just a regular Topps card".

And I highly doubt a post office worker would just put a stamp on it, even if they somehow decided it was only $0.44 postage. In my experiences, if they weigh it on the machine, they're printing out the postage. Otherwise, they then have a book of 19 stamps to account for.

But in the end, all of this probably matters not as you don't have too many options as others noted. Sorry it happened to you.