Ebay Problem (as seller)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fenn2kb

Pro
5.00 star(s)
About 3 weeks ago i bid and won on several vintage cards that were sent to me in a PWE, and the PWE that they arrived in had the front piece of it torn off because it was to thick to fit through the sorter. Thankfully the cards stayed in the envelope.

I sent this message to the seller: asshat800 (name protected to ensure privacy)

Hi, i received the cards today. To be honest, i was not happy with the shipping of the cards and how the item was described. I paid $3 to have them shipped in a plain white envelope for .88 cents. The envelope arrived with damage on the front because two toploaders in a plain white envelope get jammed in the processor. The cards also are around EX or below, but i realize that this is subjective. I would like to either have my shipping refunded to me ($3) or i would like to return the cards.
Thanks for your response.

she returned my shipping to me, and didn't seem to upset about it, but i got a somewhat sarcastic "happy holidays take care god bless" comment (at least i took it to be fake)

Fast forward to yesterday, when one of my auctions ended on a 1983 Sandberg RC in NM-MT+ condition. It sold for book value (never happens) at 14.50, and the bidder was asshat49. The only difference between the bidder of my auction and the seller of the previous auction were the numbers behind the name. Also, i looked at my buyer's info, and this ebayer has only had about 15 purchases in the last month, then there are no transactions for two years, in contrast with the seller in the first instance had over 5000 transactions with his own store. so after looking at this my guess is it appears to be a second account of the first seller i dealt with.

Now, how should i handle this? I want to void my sale with asshat49 and sell it under the second offer option to the next bidder. But can i do that? And, if my hunch is correct, and i do void the sale somehow, then i'm going to really get bid up on a really big item in the future only to have this clown say something was wrong with it and return it damaged or something.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would take the option that yields the most money. It doesn't cost you more money to ship to 800 (or 49) than it would anyone else. I realize what happened in the past sucks, but just because his bad shipping lost you some money in the past doesn't mean you should let it cost you some money now too. I can also see the other side of the argument, where you would want to hurt him by not letting him have the card. He will just buy the same card for cheaper, so why not make him pay top dollar, while you get the money for it.

If I were you, I would take the option that yields the most money. It doesn't cost you more money to ship to 800 (or 49) than it would anyone else. I realize what happened in the past sucks, but just because his bad shipping lost you some money in the past doesn't mean you should let it cost you some money now too. I can also see the other side of the argument, where you would want to hurt him by not letting him have the card. He will just buy the same card for cheaper, so why not make him pay top dollar, while you get the money for it.

i think the issue the OP is worried about is having the buyer claim the card either did not arrive or arrived damaged and file a claim to get his money back (which even though covered by buyer protection , ebay will eventually recover that money from the seller's account) or hammer him with negative feedback and lo DSR's .....

not sure how you'll proceed , but the first thing i'd do if i had serious concerns of a vengeful ebayer would be to block BOTH of those accounts so that bid on your items in the future....if he has more accounts you may still have to deal with him , but the odds are he wouldn't establish a brand new one just to mess with you....

Oh ok, I wasn't thinking about that option. Good point there, that's definitely something to watch out for. You should definitely check the feedback he leaves for others and see if he's tried to pull some fast ones in the past. I doubt he would pay extra $ for a card to spite you, but some people might stoop that low. Curious to see how it plays out.

i think the issue the OP is worried about is having the buyer claim the card either did not arrive or arrived damaged and file a claim to get his money back (which even though covered by buyer protection , ebay will eventually recover that money from the seller's account)

not sure how you'll proceed , but the first thing i'd do if i had serious concerns of a vengeful ebayer would be to block BOTH of those accounts so that bid on your items in the future....if he has more accounts you may still have to deal with him , but the odds are he wouldn't establish a brand new one just to mess with you....

Can't you see the address of the seller and the mailing address for your buyer? If in the same, Then I see your point....is this guy trying to mess with you..but If the addresses are different or one guy from a different state...then I would go thru with transaction. Happy New Year, David

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've never blocked anybody before so that is an option for me to consider. I haven't seen any poor feedback from the account as a seller.

Its very strange to have an ebayer win the auction outright with their first bid, and especially to put in a first bid of over book value for a vintage card. No one really puts in a bid like that unless its a super hot vintage Mint card, or unless they really want it for other vindictive purposes. I'm more worried about him screwing with my DSRs because i am a top seller with only 347 feedback. Son of an ******.

Can't you see the address of the seller and the mailing address for your buyer? If in the same, Then I see your point....is this guy trying to mess with you..but If the addresses are different or one guy from a different state...then I would go thru with transaction. Happy New Year, David

David,
I can't remember the address of the card when i bought my cards, but i can go back and check the location on his account to see where he is from.
He hasn't paid yet so i haven't had to deal yet with this.. Lol

I bought some cards from a seller who took forever to ship. Would not respond to any of my messages, blah blah blah. I opened a case with eBay and the cards magically appeared a few days later. This was roughly a month after I won and purchased the cards. I didn't open the case until about week 3 because I was out in the field for 10 days training. Anyways, I left the seller negative feedback on the 4 cards, which I felt was justified.

A week later I was selling and the buyer turned out to be the seller from before. He waited the full 7 days to pay and then when he recieved the cards left me all negative feedback. Saying to stay away from me, I am a terrible seller blah blah blah. I contacted eBay and they looked into it and they took my negative feedback off and I think they closed they other sellers account. So ultimately I felt like I won. But it was a pain.

I completely understand what you are dealing with. If I were to have done it all over again, I would have voided the sale and blocked him to avoid the whole bit of drama. That is just me though.

Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.

I bought some cards from a seller who took forever to ship. Would not respond to any of my messages, blah blah blah. I opened a case with eBay and the cards magically appeared a few days later. This was roughly a month after I won and purchased the cards. I didn't open the case until about week 3 because I was out in the field for 10 days training. Anyways, I left the seller negative feedback on the 4 cards, which I felt was justified.

A week later I was selling and the buyer turned out to be the seller from before. He waited the full 7 days to pay and then when he recieved the cards left me all negative feedback. Saying to stay away from me, I am a terrible seller blah blah blah. I contacted eBay and they looked into it and they took my negative feedback off and I think they closed they other sellers account. So ultimately I felt like I won. But it was a pain.

I completely understand what you are dealing with. If I were to have done it all over again, I would have voided the sale and blocked him to avoid the whole bit of drama. That is just me though.

Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.

Matt, I think that is probably what i'm going to do. I'm just waiting to see if he pays here in the next couple of days to see if his address is in the same city. I still feel hesitant to void the sale without trying to match up the addresses a little.
Dan

you should be able to see his address anytime after the listing ends by selecting "view order details"

Yeah good call. Let me know how it works out. I get so pissed when people take something so personal. You asked for the shipping back due to poor packaging, nothing wrong with that. When I left the feedback for the dude, I didn't write anything nasty. I just wrote date won, date paid and date received. He replied to everyone with something like, I just got a new job and am working 50 hours a week. Just had a new baby. That's cool, if he would have just responded to one of my messages I would have understood and it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Good luck!

Matt

this may not be fact, but geeze, I've never really heard these kind of stories about "vintage" card people. TONS of scams with the new stuff though.

By the way..OH...BTW...sorry....posted a question concerning eBay and if it's life is heading downward...your thoughts would be appreciated.

I've only had to deal with one or two asshats in the may transactions I have been involved with on eBay. As long as you cover yourself with delivery confirmation (you can even throw in signature if you want to) you should be okay if memory serves. You can even get eBay involved now if you like - ask them to compare the two accounts and see what they think.

#1: Lots of talk here about "voiding the sale". You can NOT void the sale without the buyer's consent. If you do, and they paid, it simply becomes a case of item not received and you're skrewed.

#2: You're concerned because they bid over book but you're overlooking the fact that another bidder also had to bid that high to get the sale price up.

#3: If one sells on ebay they really need to learn what tools are available to minimize risk. ANY time I have a bad deal with someone (buyer or seller) they instantly get added to my blocked bidder list. Fortunately I only have about 20.

#4: I know it seems unlikely but it could just be one of those wacky coincidences that the names are so similar. I'd bet there's many id's using the glutiusmaximusheadcovering prefix.

As a long time seller my advice would be to treat the buyer like you would any other. It's usually the best option for not fanning the flames, if indeed someone is messing with you, plus it puts you in the strongest possible position if a dispute does arise. And if it's not the same person you didn't tic off a buyer.

He paid today and the address is a Florida address, compared to the seller whose address was in Ohio. could be just a strange coincidence , so im gonna use DC and send anyways. If anything further happens, i'll let you guys know. Lol

He paid today and the address is a Florida address, compared to the seller whose address was in Ohio. could be just a strange coincidence , so im gonna use DC and send anyways. If anything further happens, i'll let you guys know. Lol

I remember when I tried to apply for my first ebay Id....Lots of people had the name....so I had to add numbers after the name! Best regards, David

I think if you send it securely with dc you should be fine. Just package it so securely that even if it is mishandled nothing can happen to the cards. Then you'll know if you're being messed with if there is a damage claim by the buyer.

Glad it a coincidence, but for the future have more than one account (one for buying and one for selling) so that revenge can not be easily accomplished.

Yeah, being that your initial complaint only led to a shipping refund, I don't think a guy with 5000 transactions would look to get even by purchasing a card from you at top dollar. To get even, all he could look to do is seek your shipping cost, which seems way too miniscule...
I must admit, that if it is a different person, it is a stange conicidence that the user names are so similar!! lol
Good luck,
Pete