Excessive??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CW13

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Rangers prospect Jorge Alfaro retweeted this just recently.....
Nate Rowan ‏@njrowan

Some fan gave @_JorgeAlfaro11 all these cards to sign. Are you kidding me?

BY0fZJYIAAA5OXp.jpg

If they were all different and the guy was willing to sign them, I'd probably see it differently. 3-4 different cards x10+ copies each screams "EBAY" or future ebay.

I am one of those guys who will try to get as many different cards signed and in some cases i do hoard certain cards (great action shots, certain years like 56, 78, etc). However, the difference is I buy them or trade for them 99% of the time. The IP autograph opportunities I have are all those minor league signings in Everett I have gone to over the last 3-4 years, 1 per year mostly and I will admit have tried to take advantage of the opportunity when I had them, maybe to the appearance of excess to those who might be watching me from afar.

Oh, that is ridiculous! I saw someone do something similar with Dennis Martinez this past season. There were something like 20 cards of his on a board. You are correct if you guessed that grapher struck out.

yes, excessive by any standard...new or old grapher should know better.

I'm a newbie and I only go back to the same guy if I have a different card that I don't already have signed, i.e. I have 10 different Delino DeShields cards signed and I have never given him more than 3 at any given time.

If they were all different and the guy was willing to sign them, I'd probably see it differently. 3-4 different cards x10+ copies each screams "EBAY" or future ebay.

I am one of those guys who will try to get as many different cards signed and in some cases i do hoard certain cards (great action shots, certain years like 56, 78, etc). However, the difference is I buy them or trade for them 99% of the time. The IP autograph opportunities I have are all those minor league signings in Everett I have gone to over the last 3-4 years, 1 per year mostly and I will admit have tried to take advantage of the opportunity when I had them, maybe to the appearance of excess to those who might be watching me from afar.

i agree.different cards are one thing if his is willing or once again, if you are a t a signing, yes, bring whatever yu can, who knows. i think i see 54 cards...and there are 3 different ones.good lord..

We also may not know the whole story either. maybe this is a friend of the player or something else is going on to warrant all of them being signed.

However, if this is a auto seeker trying to get the player to sign so many out of the blue, then that is crazy. It's up to the players though to say enough is enough.

When Luis Quinones was a coach for the whitecaps, he commented on if I bought all the different cards or still had them in a box. He told me to find all the cards I had for him and he would sign them all for me. Needless to say I didnt evet get all of them signed but thats because I wouldnt evet drop that many on someone at once

If he offered, why not.

I once had Shawn Hillegas come through my line when I worked at Home Base. I didn't recognize him by face, but he paid with a check and when I looked at it, the name jumped right out (Dodger). This was not too long after he was out of baseball (1994-96 time frame) and living in WA State. He told me he'd sign some cards the next time he came through if I brought them in. Sure enough he did. I only had about 10 cards of him at that time and I brought them all in (all 88s), but a sharpie malfunction kept it to about 5 signed. He never came back when I had cards again.

I would think, that all things considered, it seems a little excessive. I try to follow the credo that by mail you might ask for 2 maybe 3 tops, and in person 1 possibly 2. I think of the first time I met Kirby Puckett as a measure. He had come to Winona, MN as part of the Twins Winter Caravan in 1987. And assuming because of the big demand there was a separate autograph signing for just him that ran from about 4pm-5pm at a local furniture store. Well me and 3 of my friends from middle school went and one brought his cousin with, who also happened to be my neighbor. My neighbor had Kirby sign 4 items in one shot and thing was Puck signed them all but gave Landon a "come on man are u serious" type of look. (he, Landon, was only about 10 at the time.) And so while I had 3 things to get signed I only presented two after that. I think if collectors were more conscious of how we as a group sometimes come off, players may be more willing to sign more often. Just my 2 cents worth.

I guess it's only "excessive" this year. Last year when I called out a member here for doing basically the same exact thing, I got blasted by numerous other members, including the mod of this forum.

He should have personalized every one.... :)

My 2-cents .. it is excessive. The max I've done for one player at one time is six. And then I feel a little guilty.

Excessive, yes. Yet some players are willing to sign any amount. Very excessive and selfish if the player doesn't sign for others after. The most I try to get are two on cards, sometimes I'll try other items then cards depending on the crowd and time. Young potential future star players new to the scene are more willing to sign multiples, but give them a year or two then it is usually one or none.

I personally think that it is excessive. However, I did see one collector have about 40 cards prepped for Jay Bell when he was a coach for the USA College Team. To the collector's credit, he allowed everyone else around to get their items signed first and then said to Jay Bell "I figured I would give you everything that I have now so that I don't have to bother you any more after this". Jay Bell did sign every card that the collector had without a complaint. I would have felt awkward asking for that many cards to be signed at one time.