Expired Topps redemption...what do I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert326

MVP
4.90 star(s)
Went over to the Tri-County flea market/card show yesterday and felt like opening a few boxes as I haven't ripped wax in awhile. I'm always drawn by older Topps HTA boxes and I happened upon a 2005 Topps series 2 HTA box for $40 (also got an HTA box of 2009 Topps U&H and a 2008 Bowman Chrome hobby box). For the 2005 Topps box, it's likely (though not guaranteed) to contain an auto. I get near the end of the box and see a redemption card in the middle of one of the packs...a "Dem Bums" autograph of George Shuba. I was initially happy...I work in Brooklyn and my grandparents live in Brooklyn, so I've become a casual Brooklyn Dodger collector. Then I see the expiration date of the redemption...4/30/07.:(

Making matters worse, I had just opened the 08 Chrome box. The one auto was Jake McGee...a redemption card also! Boy, was I upset. If there's a silver lining, it's that Topps apparently now prints a customer service number on their wrappers (I guess it was a good idea to get that 09 U&H box after all!).

Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) when calling that number? Is it worth my while to send in the George Shuba redemption auto just to see what, if anything, I'd get back? I'd really like to get that card if possible (if Shuba actually signed and returned them to Topps). Or maybe they can send me a similar retired player auto. Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Don't just send it in because you won't get anything back. Make sure you call that # and maybe you will get lucky.

I would not think they would honor redemption cards that old, nor would they feel the need to as a service to their customers. However, you never know until you try. I would probably keep the unredeemed card as a novelty if it were mine though. I'm sure there are fewer of those now than the actual autograph card.

My best expired redemption was for one of those NBA Draft sets. I forget the year and brand, but it would have been big at the time. I also pulled one of those Ted Williams Trade for Babe redemption cards, after the fact.

Nothing will ever match the sheer disappointment of the Fleer bankruptcy redemptions though! Numerous Garvey cards that I bought competitively on ebay with the intention of redeeming that were ultimately never made. Now I don't even have all of the unredeemed redemption cards to fill the spot the cards would have taken (I did keep the dupes unredeemed)!!!

In February I sent Topps a Redemption Card from Finest that expired on 12/30/07. After about 8 weeks I got it back with a big "EXPIRED" stamped on it. Thanks Topps!!!

Aaron

You never know what they are going to do. I have sent in expired redemption cards that were up to two years old and sometimes I have received a card back and sometimes, a letter stating it is expired and a couple packs.

You just never know. It only costs a stamp to send it in to see what happens.

It depends 100% on who is helping you at Topps. Some will give you nothing, some will give you everything. Won't hurt to try. Sadly though, there are more of the "first group" working there than the other.

You never know what they are going to do. I have sent in expired redemption cards that were up to two years old and sometimes I have received a card back and sometimes, a letter stating it is expired and a couple packs.

You just never know. It only costs a stamp to send it in to see what happens.

Exactly.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but there's just something so unfair about redemptions. If they're going to put expiration dates on the redemption cards and odds on hits on the box, they should have to chase down the boxes after the redemptions. They need to put stickers or something on the boxes with the redemptions changing the hits per box ratio. They should not be able to advertise how many hits per box if some of them are redemptions because after a while, those figures change.
-Casey

better number is 1-800-489-9149...explain that the card shop was still selling the packs and tell them you bought the box, because you were "guarenteed" an auto. If they say send it in, get a name to direct the redemptions to.

The thing is that there is an EXPIRATION date on redemptions. After the expiration date has passed, the companies are not legally required to fulfill the redemptions. What do they do with the items that are used to fulfill the redemptions is up to the individual companies. Some companies hold on to the cards and others trash them.

But I look at it as a cheap way to take a chance. It only costs a stamp. Send it in and see what happens. The worst is a rejection.