Fighting Illini Contest!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Guess the winner and correct final score for both teams for Saturday's Fighting Illini-Purdue (Purdon't, as we Illini call them!) and win my Nathan Scheelhaase custom:

Nathan Scheelhaase
7a5Pnn2.png

If no winner with the exact score, the closest in terms of total points takes it!

With your guess, please tell me your favorite college football memory, whether playing, watching, at the game, etc. It will be fun to get some stories going!

Thanks for playing, God Bless!

Kevin

Last edited:
Let's have some fun:

Illinois 57 Purdue 56 in 5 OT's, Illinois winning it by going for 2 and getting it!

I have been to the Fiesta Bowl in Tempe, the Kickoff Classic at The Meadowlands and have seen the Seminoles play at College Park and Chapel Hill, all great times. But the best college football experiences I can remember is my dad taking me to Delaware Valley College games when I was growing up. They stunk and almost always lost, but popcorn and hot chocolate on Saturday afternoons 4 or 5 times a year was fantastic.

If I'm allowed to enter this contest....I'll go with Illinois 29 vs. Purdue 27 ....Purdue misses a field goal attempt from the 29 yards out in the final seconds of the game. Best regards, David

Loving these stories friends, keep them rolling in!! My favorite college football memory was October 16th, 2004, the first Illini game I ever attended with my then-fiancé, now wife Laura. We had gotten engaged two weeks before, also in Champaign. Her parents came up, and we had an unusually cold game day. I stepped out the rv door in the parking lot that morning of the game, and walked right back in. My soon to be wife asked how the weather was, and I said "remember all those extra clothes you put onto stay warm? Leave them here, they're not gonna help!" It was FREEZING!!

Is this the annual Jeff George Bowl? If memory serves, he started at Purdue and transferred to Illinois. And he was a big deal back then too.

Purdue 20 Illinois 14

Here is a shocking stat concerning Illinois football. They are tied for 9th with The U amongst colleges for schools with the most NFL Hall of Famers. Granted their most recent HOFer is Dick Butkus but still that is impressive. And to think in the mid 60s-early 70s the Bears-Packers rivalry had 2 HOF middle linebackers from Illinois which were Butkus with the Bears and Nitschke with the Pack.

Thanks for the contest Kevin!

Congrats to mm1sub for choosing the exact Illini score, they lost to Purdue 29-10 today. Congrats to Jeff (SymphonicMetal) for having the closest points score. So I am going to send cards to both you guys, hope you enjoy!

God Bless, thanks to everyone for playing!

Kevin

Is this the annual Jeff George Bowl? If memory serves, he started at Purdue and transferred to Illinois. And he was a big deal back then too.

Purdue 20 Illinois 14

Here is a shocking stat concerning Illinois football. They are tied for 9th with The U amongst colleges for schools with the most NFL Hall of Famers. Granted their most recent HOFer is Dick Butkus but still that is impressive. And to think in the mid 60s-early 70s the Bears-Packers rivalry had 2 HOF middle linebackers from Illinois which were Butkus with the Bears and Nitschke with the Pack.

Thanks for the contest Kevin!

I had forgotten that Nitschke went to U of I, should have known that! He played 1954-1957 for the Illini, and then 1958-1972 for the Packers. Dick played 1962-1964 for the Illini, and then 1965-1973 for the Bears. Cool that they were contemporaries in the NFL, probably the two most feared linebackers of all time!

God Bless,

Kevin

If you asked me when I was a kid what college Nitschke went to, I would have had the answer in the blink of an eye. Nowadays, I would have taken 50 guesses and never come up with Illinois!!

There were three colleges that had more HOFers than Illinois that were kind of surprising at first glance. Syracuse and Pitt were kind of a surprise and Minnesota was a real surprise. I know Minnesota had Bobby Bell and Carl Eller (the latter I think finally got into the HOF) but after those two and Bronko Nagurski, I'd have a tough time coming up with the others. There is no more nondescript football program in the Big Ten than Minnesota over the years I have been watching football. I know they have had some decent teams but I cannot think of whaen they were an actual contender for the Big Ten title in my lifetime!

Thanks for the contest Kevin. They are always lots of fun.

You are welcome and thanks for the fun trivia! Bronko was a great Bear, though I agree about Minnesota not being an NCAA powerhouse by any means!!