Finally found a hobby shop!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewcstein

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I moved last summer, and wound up around the corner from a hobby shop. I'd been in there a couple of times before, but just for brief visits, and not for a few years. Yesterday I decided to check it out again, and I'm really glad I did.

First off, they've been there for over 20 years, which is saying something in itself. They had boxes of packs along the walls along with some Mets and yankees trinkets and some boxes of candy. They had the typical display cases with a bunch of inserts/GU/Autos in there, and the full boxes behind the counter. Pretty standard there. But it got better.

We started talking, and I told him I was a Vlad fan, and he perked up and said he had some Vlads I could look through. He brought out one of those 50-card plastic cases, and at that point I was already surprised, since very few places seem to carry any base and inserts anymore. Then he brought out a monster box, where one row was Gwynn, one Guerrero, and the rest Griffey. So I had about 500 Vlads to look through.

Long story short, I found 8 Vlads (turns out I needed 7 of them), got them for $3 total, and couldn't be happier. There were some 2010 Finest Refractors (#/599, #/299, and #/99), a couple of late 90s inserts, and a pretty tough to find UD MVP Gold #/125. Just the fact that he had them all was one thing, but the price he gave me was a good deal lower than I expected.

I went back in later to get a box of Gypsy Queen, and he remembered my son's name, and gave him a Tootsie Roll, so my son's a fan too. I'm glad to finally find a shop that does more than just sell boxes and high-end cards, and I'm even happier that it's 2 minutes from my house!

Plus, it's called "The Baseball Card Store", which is the perfect name. It's in Midland Park, so if anyone is in North Jersey and wants to hunt down some singles, it's worth a shot. Let me know when you go, and I'll see if I can stop by :)

Good for you. The LCS here closed down last summer and as far as I know, nothing new has opened up.

Nothing but local mall shows, Ebay and The Bench to expand my collection!

Congrats on the shop find! I too have a local card shop a few minutes from my house. The owner pulls out all kinds of Indians stuff for me and sometimes trades if it was pulled in the shop. It's a good thing that we still have shops that are into singles and sets as well as the big hits.

Chris

Thanks everyone. Now I'm just kicking myself for taking so long to go back there. I'll definitely be going there more, even if it's just to buy a few packs or see what comes in. I've also got a few boxes of commons and low-end stuff I'll drop off to see if he wants to give it out to kids that come in.

There used to be 2-3 in virtually every town in New Jersey, but then again there wasn't Ebay then. Card shops are so out of the realm of how I buy cards that I live 2 blocks from the 1 store in my city (Manhattan) and I've never been there. Generally I only go to them to buy plastic sheets when I'm not ordering a case load (1000).

That's cool Andrew! Sounds like you could start a long-standing relationship with the owner. Good hobby shops are hard to find, I love the one that is close to me but it is 45 minutes away. If it were 2 minutes away like yours I do fear I'd be broke posthaste.

That's cool Andrew! Sounds like you could start a long-standing relationship with the owner. Good hobby shops are hard to find, I love the one that is close to me but it is 45 minutes away. If it were 2 minutes away like yours I do fear I'd be broke posthaste.

This is my situation as well - great hobby shop, but it's a 45 minute drive most days...glad you found a great shop to go to.