Floored at the auction I just won,..scans included.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bombie1138

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm wondering right now what is happening,.
I just bought 9 1953 Topps Indians cards for 38 dollars,.from a private collection,.
That's 4.22 a card and they are in nice shape,.perfect no, who cares at this point,.
Now Beckett say they are worth 370/167 BV.
Has the market collapsed or what?
I am a happy camper though,it was a big add on to my collection for next to nothing,.

Clint

Last edited:
Vintage market right now is mostly centered around graded stuff. Commons from the 50s can be had pretty cheap as you have found out. If you wanted to flip them, you could send the best ones in to have them graded if you think they would grade high. Even if one comes back at a high grade you could make your money back easily.

I'm wondering right now what is happening,.
I just bought 9 1953 Topps Indians cards for 38 dollars,.from a private collection,.
That's 4.22 a card and they are in nice shape,.perfect no, who cares at this point,.
Now Beckett say they are worth 370/167 BV.
Has the market collapsed or what?
I am a happy camper though,it was a big add on to my collection for next to nothing,.

Clint

They are not perfect, you answered your own question. People seem to quote the NrMT + Book values to list for cards that are not NrMt, if they are not NrMt, the BV is NOT $370, it is a % of that, depending on what condition they ARE in.

Vintage market right now is mostly centered around graded stuff. Commons from the 50s can be had pretty cheap as you have found out. If you wanted to flip them, you could send the best ones in to have them graded if you think they would grade high. Even if one comes back at a high grade you could make your money back easily.

I also bought 3 1953 Bowman Color's for less then 10.00 (includes shipping)
Beckett says the BV is 210/99,.I don't have the cards in hand yet but from the scans,there are no creases,and all are centered well.
I'm no grading expert but they are above the "good" grade for sure.They are for my PC so I won't flip them,but I am excited to get them,.

Let us know the condition of the cards once you get them....Lots of times the scans are pictures other people cards and not the condition of the ones their selling...but sometimes you get lucky. Best regards, David

How do I know this.....theres a person selling 1993 topps finest refractors.........The card looks in mint condition and the one u get is less than mint. Reported the guy and also got a refund from the auction....and hes still selling. Best regards, David

I guess I was lucky. I got a 1965 Joe Morgan Rookie in EX for $12 and a 1970 Thurman Munson that appears EX+-Ex/Mt (though it is not in hand yet) for $14. If you shop around there are deals to be had. You mainly have to be patient and pay close attention to a seller's feedback. Just my two cents.

I guess I was lucky. I got a 1965 Joe Morgan Rookie in EX for $12 and a 1970 Thurman Munson that appears EX+-Ex/Mt (though it is not in hand yet) for $14. If you shop around there are deals to be had. You mainly have to be patient and pay close attention to a seller's feedback. Just my two cents.

Nice hits,.
I will admit it does take some time to do the research but the rewards are there.I'm not a big grading freek,usually a real good scan can solve any question I have,.
and welcome to the Bench,my treads are always open for any comments,

Clint

Also scored a complete factory sealed 2012 Topps Complete set that has the Babe Ruth 1923 Commemorative ring card for..........

wait for it...............

$11.29 DLVD. Again, pay attention, shop around, be patient.

001_zps5ee363ca.jpg

002_zps584c2fa8.jpg

These are scans of the cards,..But I am really ****'t at this point.
The bottom card Al Aber,a SP was damaged when it touched the glue on the team holder plastic,..see the tear at the top edge
It wasn't there when I received it,..I'm ****'t but I cannot cry over spilled milk,..still sucks,but still got a good deal I think.I won't forgive myself for damaging that card though,..
The Wynn card is in really good shape

Clint

Last edited:
Update: The Munson came in today, and it was NOT EX+-Ex/Mt. It appeared that way until you tilted it in the light, I then noticed it has a hairline crease running about an inch and a half long near the bottom right portion of the card. Not real happy about it, but it went from being an awesome buy to a so-so buy.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online