Found these autos in a collection I purchased...any experts have opinions???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tglg

MVP
5.00 star(s)
20 minutes away from Busch Stadium, home of the St
Found these three bigger names in a collection of cards I purchased. There were a few smaller names, but these were the three big names. It was a very large collection, and these cards weren't mentioned in the deal, so they weren't used as leverage to justify a price. Anyways, give me thoughts. Eddie Murrays seem to be all over the place, so I couldn't find anything really to use as a definite guide. The Randy Johnson would have to be an in person that was rushed, and that is why just the line at the end of his name. Not sure if that happens. I made the scan of the Johnson larger so as to see the ink better. The Kaline looks to me to be legit, and that tends to make me think maybe the others are as well. But not sure. Just looking for a direction as to if I throw them in with my autos or rid myself of them. Thanks, Tony.

eddie%20murray%20auto.jpg
randy%20johnson%20auto.jpg

I'm not an expert, but the Murray is highly suspect to me. I rarely see a lead-in tail on his M (when I do, it often comes from the middle of the M, outward, then into the hump, whereas this one just starts with the hump), and his signature often has a distinct left slant. He also rarely signs.

Kaline looks good; he's typically good via mail for like $5-10, so there's not a major market for fakes on him.

Johnson is questionable due to the line ending, as you pointed out.

I would guess Murray to be fake. It looks a little too slow and deliberate, plus his signature normally seems to have a general slant to the left and this one looks straight up.

I wouldn't ever venture a guess on Johnson, as I have seen some graded signatures that looked nothing like his pack pulled autographs.

Kaline looks close to what it should be. I'm sure it is easy to forge, but it is also a low dollar HOF auto as well, as he is plentiful.

The Kaline is pretty legit. He signs all the time in Detroit. He has that special thing with the K that he does that makes the difference in knowing a fake. The one you have has the correct K.

They all look suspicious, the Kaline looks a bit too deliberate. Murray's looks too robotic and Johnson has such variations on his signature, I can't tell.

They all look suspicious, the Kaline looks a bit too deliberate. Murray's looks too robotic and Johnson has such variations on his signature, I can't tell.

That's the way Kaline signs it.

There is such a thing in the autograph world as a full signature vs. a short one. When players are in a rush or it is not a sit down occasion, sometimes what results is the shorter version, the Johnson card is probably that. If you wanted you can always get them authenticated.....