Gauging interest for a Private Signing with Rick Barry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMBfan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I have the opportunity to do a signing with Basketball Hall of Famer Rick Barry through the mail. He is willing to donate all of the money raised to a local non-profit called Military Missions In Action (MMIA). MMIA was founded in January 2008 and is dedicated to supporting disabled military veterans and disabled children of active duty military personnel by completing home repairs, remodels, and renovations at no cost to the recipients, which allows them to remain living independently in their homes. Since being founded, MMIA has provided over $3 million worth of services while keeping its administrative costs under 5%. For more information, here is their website: www.militarymissionsinaction.org.

I would like to see what the interest would be from people to participate in this opportunity. Mr. Barry and I haven't set prices yet, so I would also be interested in gauging what price people would be willing to pay. Please post any questions that you may have. Right now, Mr. Barry has not set any restrictions on items.

I would assume that interest would be driven mostly by the cost itself. I tried to set up a signing locally here and was shooting for $5 per signature. Although the player wasn't hugely popular (Julio Cruz) outside of the Seattle area, the price seemed inviting compared to what people pay for autographs in general. I barely had much interest at all and never pulled the trigger on arranging the signing. Perhaps i should have tried other avenues as well.

Do you even have a range in mind to start with? I don't know how easy his signature is to get, and although he was a top 50 player, he doesn't really jump out as a guy to grab (to me at least). He will always be the granny style free throw shooter in my mind. If the signing was decently priced (better than buying one online, for example), I'd consider sending a RC to be signed possibly.

Here are the prices that Mr. Barry would be asking (keeping in mind that all of the money will be going to MMIA):

Pictures, cards and flats $15, $20 with HoF or other inscription.
Balls and Jerseys $40, HoF inscription included.
Any other items will have to be told to me for approval and pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.