Getting my old collection back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HockeyBrawler

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I've been collecting cards since I was about seven years old. The first pack I clearly remember buying was a 1991 Donruss rack pack the first week I got an allowance. I had gotten some cards before then, but that truly kicked off my collecting life as I knew it.

Pretty much every dollar I got for the next ten years went to feeding the addiction. Even through college, I'd pick stuff up whenever I had time and a few spare dollars. Went to three Nationals, dabbled in some autographs and memorabilia, but for the most part, it was just cards, cards, cards. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 70,000 or so by my last estimate.

In 2005, I relocated from Boston (for college), to Ohio (where I'm originally from), to Texas (where I live now) in the span of a week. My moving was all done via flights, so moving the cards was pretty much impossible. Over the next few years, I could occasionally get back to my dad's place and grab some cards, but for the most part, I was about 1200 miles away from the vast majority of my collection.

Finally this week, my wife and I drove up for my 10th high school reunion. And I was able to pack up my cards and bring them back with me. We're in Michigan right now, but we're making the drive back to Texas all day tomorrow (and part of Thursday if needed). Combined with what I have back home, I'm sitting somewhere in the neighborhood of 100,000 cards.

So, who wants to help me sort all this?

i would help if i lived any where near you let me know if you have an dupes of reds or indians stuff. or dupes of hockey if you gottem not sure what all cards you got. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!

Once you go through all that, if you find you have some Stadium Club, I would love to trade for them for the sets I'm trying to make.

Maybe you have some hidden gems you don't remember. Good luck.

A collection that big you might take a look at OpenChecklist.net to keep track of it. My collection is a little bit bigger than that and I'd go nuts if I couldn't track things.

I'm sure I can help some of you out. I'm sorting it all by player since as one who is now mainly an autograph collector, that's what makes the most sense for me. It's easier to pull players I have a chance to hound or mail that way.

Arron (elmesero5 here) has been helping me sort it a bit, as has my wife. I'm hoping to spend all day this weekend knocking out as much baseball as I can.

On the plus side, I've gotten pretty much everything sorted in every sport except baseball, hockey, and soccer. The bad news: I have about 58,000 baseball, 24,000 hockey, and 6,000 soccer.

And if anyone needs any 1997 Topps baseball, let me know, I probably have what you need. I have somewhere around 2,000 from it alone because of a garage sale hit back in 2001 or so. Went to a garage sale with my grandmother and a guy had a huge box (like one of those ones that carries 10-12 reams of printer paper) of cards for $25. Needless to say, I bought it. Mostly 1997 Topps in it, enough to probably make several complete sets.

But yeah, if there's anything anyone is looking for (1987-2002 is what the vast majority is for baseball, hockey ranges mostly from 1990-2005 or so), let me know and I'll keep an eye out for it. Like I said, I'm sorting by player so names help more than numbers.