Gixen lets me down...AGAIN!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
"Lets me down" is my severely toned down version of what I really want to say so I won't get locked or expelled.

I am done with this UNRELIABLE free service! Perhaps they build in periodic failures to get you to buy their service, however every time I talk about the site, everyone who comments has never had any problems? What is going on here??? Is my luck that ******???

This time, it was a biggie! I have the card itself already, but I lost the jersey number version! It was the Prime Cuts triple auto with Wills, Garvey and Kirk Gibson, #'d 6/10. The sad part it went for under what many of the other 10 have gone for since they hit the market, $61 plus S/H!!! My snipe was well into the triple digits.

The excuse this time? "Unknown Error (3)"

I feel like breaking something now!

Of course...nobody has had a problem with gixen...EXCEPT ME!

This is the third time it has failed me.

I realize they advertise their mirror service (for a fee), but based on the track record of their free service after only a few months, I wouldn't even think about paying them!

I have never had a problem with auctionsniper after YEARS of use and 100s of snipes! You get what you pay for, I guess!

Never heard of them, but "You get what you pay for" ;) Free is not always the best.

But in all honesty, it's the law of averages...this one "mess up/loss" will be off set by "steals" that you get later!

That just plain sucks! I've been using esnipe for a while now and have yet to have any issues.

Thanks
Craig

I have to second esnipe. I LOVE them, and even though not free, I think I've saved more money NOT getting into bidding wars than what I've spent in their fees. EVERY auction I bid on goes through esnipe. Saves me having to remember to check in and bid on something at the last second.

Never heard of gixen. Probably a good thing. ;)

Jason

I don't mind someone not feeling bad for me because I lost an item. However, I wonder why sniping would bother you enough to say that?

I have consistently proven that I lose a larger % of auctions with proxy bids. A proxy bid allows other bidders to chip away at your lead, possibly even fall into the trap of bidding more than they planned (which is easy to do) in order to "win" and take the top position.

When I snipe, I have a greater chance of winning, PLUS I often get it at a much better price than had I left me bid to get chewed apart by what I think it MUCH WORSE than snipers, multiple minimum bidders!

You can't tell me this doesn't bother most people...

Bidder B.......$21.00
Bidder A.......$20.00
Bidder B.......$19.00
Bidder B.......$18.00
Bidder B.......$17.00
Bidder B.......$16.00
Bidder B.......$15.00
Bidder B.......$14.00
Bidder B.......$13.00
Bidder B.......$12.00
Bidder B.......$11.00
Bidder B.......$10.00
Bidder B.......$ 9.00
Bidder B.......$ 8.00
Bidder B.......$ 7.00
Bidder B.......$ 6.00
Bidder B.......$ 5.00
Bidder B.......$ 4.00
Bidder B.......$ 3.00
Bidder B.......$ 2.00
Bidder B.......$ 1.00

I'd rather lose to a sniper any day than to this type of bidder. If you wanted to pay $20, bid $20! Snipers know what they will pay and that is their bid. BAM!

Anyone who dislikes snipe bidders either loses to them or perhaps doesn't understand the concept or never tried it. It really makes no sense not to do it...especially with free and low cost sites to do it for you, which "normally" come through with a successful result. However, I have had computer issues and human error ruin auctions for me too, so nothing is foolproof.

Can't say I feel bad for snipers. Maybe I'm in the minority.
-Casey

Anyone who dislikes snipe bidders either loses to them or perhaps doesn't understand the concept or never tried it. .

Actually, both. I understand that I'm not very current with how to win on E-bay. I'm also not one of the dollar by dollar bidders that you referenced. Truth be told, I've stopped using e-bay... so I guess my comment was unnecessary. I don't hate the people who snipe... I hate that the system allows it.
-Casey

loftheb, you must be a seller. Why else would you hate a system that allows buyers to save money? I don't get it.

I have never had a problem with Gixen, but I still don't trust it completely. When I'm trying to grab a steal I'll use it, but if it's an important card, especially a jersey # card, I use esnipe. I've been using it for years, but... you know how much money I've spent with them 25 cents at a time? It really adds up after a while...

MrMopar, I thought about you the other day... the person in the car in front of me was a member of the Colorado Mopar Club. I was like "MrMopar!!" Just thought I'd let you know that I think of you. :D

i dont know why sellers would hate it....it bids for me on things I otherwise would forget to bid on, no one in their right mind would bid up a 7 day auction early. I know I've missed a bunch of stuff because i didn't put it in the sniper then forgot to bid...a couple of things I really needed but just got distracted and forgot about. I put the max amount I want to pay in there and let it fly...if someone else is willing to pay more then it sells for more, if not I bump the bid up to whatever and I get it....don't see the problem with it.

If ebay wanted to fix it then they would do a "last call" and bump the bid time up another 3 min every time a bid is made until there are no more bids...that would make it more of a true auction type setting and bring in the most money...and pretty much kill off the snipes or at least force them to change a bit.

If ebay wanted to fix it then they would do a "last call" and bump the bid time up another 3 min every time a bid is made until there are no more bids...that would make it more of a true auction type setting and bring in the most money...and pretty much kill off the snipes or at least force them to change a bit.

This is what I think would be fair, yahoo used to do it, if there was a bid in the last seconds the auction was extended 3 minutes, and continuously extended on each bid until there were no more bids in the last minute. This is the fairest system for all IMO.