Got a message from an ebay buyer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timfsu2k

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
So I listed a Jeter card and I get a message offering me Paypal to end the auction early and sell it to him. I realize this is against ebay policy, but has anyone ever gone through with this? I'm thinking that as a seller I am really not out anything, as Paypal seller protection is basically the same whether the item you sold is through ebay or not. Any input? FYI the buyer has 800+ positive feedback at 100%.

Yea you can end an action early. Just have to go to "My Ebay" and look at your active auctions. Over on the right under "More Actions" there is an option that says "End Item". I think it's a little more of an iffy proposition if there are bids, but mine has none as of yet but does have 3 watchers after only an hour!

If it's only been an hour and there are 3 watchers, it's got to be a "needed" item for a player or set builder. Better be an offer that you are more than satisfied with. In addition, you save the 9% from final fees.

I'll end an item if the offer is good enough AND there aren't any bids. I can't end it if it has bids. I've had that done to me and I hate it! Then again, if someone was offering a cool million, I'd have to think about it!

Thanks
Craig

Keep in mind that those Jeter bidders can be crazy! If there are no completed items of the card you are selling, or you are not sure of what the end price will be around, I would probably let it ride. You may be suckering yourself out of some nice money by taking an offer early - unless the offer is is REALLY good!

Tim

Well, I can only find one completed auction of this card but it was a BGS 9.5 that went for $109. The guy offered me $40 and I countered with $50. We'll see I guess.

Don't worry about it being against ebay policy. I'm always happy to see someone asking me to end early but don't usually do it for a variety of reasons. I figured out what card you're selling and those aren't too tough to find. I think $40 is a very strong offer for it but since it's Jeter, you never really know. Someone here had like over 10 Griffeys for a buck each a couple years back.

I send offers to people often. I offer a reasonable amount (sometimes more), and most of the time the sellers accept. I've never had a problem on the buyer end of the deal. If you have reservations, you could always change the listing to a "buy it now", but you will lose more money to eBay.

I'd just ship with DC, if you like the offer, and you should be good. The potential buyer is reliable based on their feedback.

John

Thanks for all the input guys!

Don't worry about it being against ebay policy. I'm always happy to see someone asking me to end early but don't usually do it for a variety of reasons. I figured out what card you're selling and those aren't too tough to find. I think $40 is a very strong offer for it but since it's Jeter, you never really know. Someone here had like over 10 Griffeys for a buck each a couple years back.

Thanks for the input! I thought $40 was fair, but a '97 just ended at $59 + shipping so I thought $50 was even more fair! LOL! Only one has ended on ebay lately, and to be honest you don't see a Jeter up very often that I could see. Might regret it and it will end at $20 or something, but like you said you never know!

I don't end it early. I usually agree on a price, then relist it for a BIN and send them the Item # right away. Just ask him to cover the relisting price.

Ebay

I did it a few years ago, I had a (86 or 87?)Topps Traded Tiffany Bonds RC graded PSA 9--he offered me something like $730 to end it, bet he now wishes that I didn't LOL