Grading raw cards ????

mintman2

Veteran
133
5.00 star(s)
I've bought several big lots of cards recently and one was described as being ex to exmt and the other ex+ to nrmt. So the question is....... Am I being too picky expecting centering to be at least 80/20 ? I do cut some slack if the card has sharp corners, but for an "average" card that has wear on several corners or a dinged one or a very fuzzy one ? And, assuming the majority of the cards are still worth keeping, they're just over graded, how much of a refund would you ask for ? The "real" problem I'm having is when the lot is like 70% as advertised but the other 30% is MAYBE vg, so naturally I want some of my money back but typically the seller says something like "You don't like them ? Send them all back". What a waste of time and energy ! Although not out any money I feel like I've been ripped off.
 

Jaybo374

Veteran
454
5.00 star(s)
When I see a huge lot for sale I figure that the posted condition is the majority of them. For example, if I am thinking about buying a 100 card lot of 1975 Topps in EX condition, I'd expect at least 65 of them would fit the description with some of them being VG and maybe a few of higher condition. Grading is very subjective and I believe that there should be some wiggle room for differences of opinion concerning grading condition. If there were some money cards within the lot I'd expect the condition of them to be more precise. However, if a sizeable number of cards are more than a grade below the posted condition then I'd send back the entire lot.
 

mintman2

Veteran
133
5.00 star(s)
Well I guess you're more forgiving than me. No way would I accept 1/3 being inferior. Here's what I sent one of the sellers. Any thoughts anyone ?

"Hi,
I just finished going through these cards and 105 out of the 301 are vg at best. They all have creases, are centered 90/10 or worse, have major surface abrasions or dents, and a couple have writing or some sort of staining. Some cards have multiple issues but any one of these would render a card incapable of being considered anything close EX+. I can keep the damaged cards and maybe get a minimal amount of trade value out of them or send them back, I don't really care either way. And if you'd like to give a partial refund ($xx) or send replacements (wouldn't have to be the exact cards, any commons would be fine), either way is cool by me . Please let me know what you would like to do to make this right. Sincerely, Alan Ballard"


When I see a huge lot for sale I figure that the posted condition is the majority of them. For example, if I am thinking about buying a 100 card lot of 1975 Topps in EX condition, I'd expect at least 65 of them would fit the description with some of them being VG and maybe a few of higher condition. Grading is very subjective and I believe that there should be some wiggle room for differences of opinion concerning grading condition. If there were some money cards within the lot I'd expect the condition of them to be more precise. However, if a sizeable number of cards are more than a grade below the posted condition then I'd send back the entire lot.
 
Last edited:

OnDeck

Prospect
18
One thing to keep in mind. When collectors buy cards most often the sellers knows most collectors do not know how to grade cards or know very little. I would be very careful and if you have a standard of 80/20 stick with it otherwise you're wasting money and unless the seller can prove to you his card (s) are ex or exmt let him to your satisfaction otherwise walk away. There are some sellers do trim their cards which is wrong in my book especially with vintage cards to get those corners shard all though it is not unheard of seeing a vintage card with great sharp corners but it is a rarity. Always go with your gut feeling 80 percent of the time you will be right and always shore up your grading skills standards and methods can change in other-words keep up with the Jones.


I've bought several big lots of cards recently and one was described as being ex to exmt and the other ex+ to nrmt. So the question is....... Am I being too picky expecting centering to be at least 80/20 ? I do cut some slack if the card has sharp corners, but for an "average" card that has wear on several corners or a dinged one or a very fuzzy one ? And, assuming the majority of the cards are still worth keeping, they're just over graded, how much of a refund would you ask for ? The "real" problem I'm having is when the lot is like 70% as advertised but the other 30% is MAYBE vg, so naturally I want some of my money back but typically the seller says something like "You don't like them ? Send them all back". What a waste of time and energy ! Although not out any money I feel like I've been ripped off.
 
Top