Gretzky future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pootshwan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Despite these seeing a large spike in price over the past 5+ months do you still think this is an undervalued card with room to grow? If we take a look at what the Michael Jordan rookie card (which is 7 years newer) has risen to $600,000+, Tom Brady cards, Mantle in baseball, etc. It figures to reason that The Great One still has some catching up to do in terms of pricing. Or does Hockey lack the interest/coverage to ever get to those levels?

I absolutely think the Grezky RC is undervaued in comparison to other similar RCs like the Fleer Jordan. It was "only" $550 in the most recent Beckett's Hockey I looked at last week. I'm not a hockey fan but the older hockey cards do interest me a great deal and I have started picking them up. I'm actively trying to finish off some sets from the early 70s to mid 80s that I have forgotten about. Onne of the things I like about hockey from the mid 80s and older mis you just don't see it anywhere near as often as the other three sports.

I think that Vintage Hockey and football are the best buys right now in a market that has spiraled totally out of control. But people will still chase the current hot thing in the long run be left with little to show for their money and efforts.

topps is now at 1000 with opc coming in at 2500
Wow! I guess I was right about it being undervalued! You just don't see many of that card around and they are very condition sensitive because of the blue border that it makes nice copies of that card even harder to find. For the past several years the Fleer Jordan and the Topps Gretzky were fairly close in value with the Jordan being a couple of hundred dollars more.

I wonder if there were more Topps Gretzky RCs or Fleer Jordan RCs manufactured?

I have an interesting story about the Gretzky Rookie.

I was at a card show in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada in about 1985. I was behind a table and so saw 3/4 Cops walking down the aisle with an obvious purpose. The dealer beside me said something like ' oh ****, the're checking sales licences' (you're supposed to have one but nobody does). It became apparent that they were confiscating Gretzky rookie counterfeits (they were just coming out around that time). They left with a big box of them. A lot of relieved dealers!!! Shortly after that there were a lot of articles on how to spot a counterfeit. Interesting.